Friday, March 8, 2013

Should We Raise Money to Send Charity Mainville Back to Las Vegas?

Posted by on Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM

charitymainville.jpg

What's the most depressing thing about DList Magazine? That's a hard one. It's not the fact that it's been around for five years and no one's ever heard of it, although that is depressing. It's not the oddity of calling something "DList" when every piece of writing inside is upbeat and promotional, although, true, that doesn't make much sense. It's not the Miami-meets-Las-Vegas-meets-a-migraine suite of graphic design and typeface choices, although migraines are bummers. It's not the artistic direction behind the photograph of Charity Mainville that accompanies her "Editor's Letter" at the top of the most recent issue, although, I mean, Jesus, what kind of sadistic art director was behind that? Those poor feet. It's not the freefloating, undiagrammable rhetoric, the syntax somehow both clunky and evanescent—with sentences like, "DList Magazine has transformed a piece of artistic literature to place upon your coffee tables for others to relish quarterly"—although I've read that sentence many times aloud and, really, I mean, I'm at a loss.

No—the most depressing thing about DList Magazine, newly helmed by the impossibly named Charity Mainville, is that Charity Mainville clearly does not want to be in Seattle. Like, really. Like, a lot. This is not her town. In the editor's note accompanying DList's "winter 2012/2013" issue (see her editor's note by going here and clicking through to page 9), she says that her goal is to create "new content and new events that cater to the fashion savvy, career-driven, intellectually minded, socially active people of the Northwest," and she goes on to say:

I'm not saying it's going to be easy to convince those who are skeptical and have preconceived notions of what the Seattle area has to offer. Trust me, it wasn't easy for me to decide to give my crazy fun life in sunny Vegas up for the rainy, "there's nothing to do," Seattle area. But I'm not one to back down from a challenge. I saw an opportunity to bring an open market a new ideal: "It's not where you are at, but who you are with." We are here to remind you to have fun living and forget about the standards society imposes. I want every person that lives in the Seattle area to be proud of what this city has to offer.

This is a plangent cry for help. This is clear-cut anguish rendered into prose. Possibly the anguish is exacerbated by those heels but it's anguish nonetheless, guys. I think as a community we need to do what's right and offer Charity our understanding and our charity (and our moving trucks!), so that she can go back to having fun living, which she moved here to remind us all to do. Having fun living does not mean living in "nothing to do" Seattle. Obviously. I'm on deadline today, but does anyone have a second to start a Kickstarter for this poor soul? I will gladly promote it here on Slog. I'm just really worried about her. Her twitter feed doesn't help things.

Screen_shot_2013-03-08_at_3.52.00_PM.png

Screen_shot_2013-03-08_at_3.51.41_PM.png

Screen_shot_2013-03-08_at_3.50.38_PM.png

Screen_shot_2013-03-08_at_3.49.41_PM.png

Please, someone, help her. Let's get her home.

The pairing of that rather absurd portrait photograph with the cri de couer "forget about the standards society imposes" is a nice touch.
Posted by Warren Terra on March 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM · Report this
Flamingo Rock 2
I only know dlist because once I typed dlisted wrong.
Posted by Flamingo Rock on March 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM · Report this
Hilarious. Thanks so much for the end of the workday laugh. Send the woman back!
Posted by NotYourStrawMan on March 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM · Report this
Madskillz80 4
I love when someone not from the NW comes here and tells us how boring and depressed we are, and how there is nothing to do. Ms. Mainville, find the contact that you lost, stand-up and move back to where champagne will flow all over you all the time, just the way you like it.
Posted by Madskillz80 on March 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM · Report this
What @4 said.

Also, DListed is the only d-list worth knowing about.
Posted by MLM on March 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM · Report this
Fnarf 6
That poor woman needs to get back into the vodka commercial from which she came.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM · Report this
Who cares? I read the blog, it lacks substance but nothing otherwise offensive. Let her stick to Blue Martini and Suite in Bellevue with the rest of that type. It's clear she's not interested in a true Seattle experience so as long as she leaves us be, then let it go.
Posted by doorbell on March 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM · Report this
RatGirl 8
I hate to bring this up but according to the masthead, Charity is not even the Editor, she's the Executive Director. I guess "Executive Director's Letter" doesn't have the same ring...
Posted by RatGirl on March 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM · Report this
Trenched in champagne? That sounds unpleasant.
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on March 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM · Report this
COMTE 10
@9:

I just assumed that was something they did at a Medieval Times restaurant (of which, surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be one in Vegas)...
Posted by COMTE on March 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 11
I think it means that you're only supposed to enjoy one-fourth of the publication at a time. Or that others can enjoy it w/ quarters in their pockets, but it's okay if you personally hate it.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on March 8, 2013 at 5:04 PM · Report this
Squatting in heels and a minidress is terribly unattractive. It's this thing fashion bloggers invented and they all do it. Why?
Posted by mitten on March 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM · Report this
@10 clearly you've never been to Excalibur.

Posted by Chali2Na on March 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM · Report this
seatackled 14
I didn't know the word plangent before today. I need to read more.
Posted by seatackled on March 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM · Report this
#14 It's a forced use of the word and it isn't quite right in that context. It's only purpose in that sentence is to let you know that the person writing it is highly literate.
Posted by ian on March 8, 2013 at 5:18 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 16
I just thought she misspelled "Plantagenet", going along w/ the medieval theme.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on March 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM · Report this
Fnarf 17
@12, it's the only way to get the face and the shoes in the shot at the same time without having her stand a hundred yards away. It's all about the shoes. Plus, look what it does to her ass! Trust me, this is you attract the attention of pro athletes, rappers, and Eastside tech billionaires.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM · Report this
biffp 18
If you're going to post tweets about her drinking early with careless disregard, could they be from today? Living in Vegas sucks. If you're not bored out of your mind, you either don't have one or you've pickled it. Seattle is a massive frustration and the whining is at a critical mass, but Vegas is worse than living in Boston.
Posted by biffp on March 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 19
@12 - I think Pink popularized this pose with her "Truth About Love" album cover. But there may be prior art.
Posted by Free Lunch on March 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 20
she' rather be in VEGAS ?.. fuck..i mean if you're yearning to go somewhere yearn to go some where better than vegas..
and don't let the back door hit ya where the good lord split ya !
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on March 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM · Report this
I'm just tired of everyone telling me how many pairs of party pants to buy and am also wondering when it became the de rigueur sign off line for letters from editors.
Posted by wmdb on March 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM · Report this
I also had never heard of the word "plangent". Good one! I had to look it up. Maybe it'll stick in my arsenal.

Hey, the Northwest is not for everybody. Try as we might (and we really try sometimes), we'll never be L.A., Miami, or New York. And we'll never be an endless, flat, sunny strip mall like Las Vegas. We're dumpier, cloudier, more... grunge. (I apologize.) If you love to party, there are really much better places, and nothing's going to change that.

(And P.S. Most of us who live here like it that way. I, for one, detest Las Vegas.)

As for the pose, it looks like they went out to the (Northwest?) woods after a cocktail party and are now taking a dump.
Posted by floater on March 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM · Report this
Vegas is hell. Charity Mainville and all others like her should definitely go there.
Posted by stating the obvious on March 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM · Report this
thatsnotright 24
She looks and writes like a bottle table hostess. She is very obviously longing to be in a town where douchebags spend $1400.00 for a bottle of Grey Goose in order to attract girls who drink too much and trade sex for overly-labeled designer goods.
Posted by thatsnotright on March 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 25
@22: "Try as we might (and we really try sometimes), we'll never be L.A., Miami, or New York."

I find that admirable with the first two.
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 26
@24: Those "lifestyle" obsessives always make me think more Scottsdale and TheDirty fanbase than class.
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM · Report this
seatackled 27
Well, Vegas has fake pyramids and Des Tours Eiffel, but all we have are Ballard Locks and fresh salmon.
Posted by seatackled on March 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM · Report this
Seattle should invest in moving trucks for people like Charity. If the city were to provide free moving out of state for all the constant complainers like Ms. Mainville, we'd improve everyone's quality of life, reduce traffic congestion, and allow the Slog to post about things that actually matter!
Posted by MisterAdeline on March 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM · Report this
seatackled 29
I'm hoping she responds to this. Hopefully as a good sport, but a train wreck could be fun, too.
Posted by seatackled on March 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 30
I hate it when I have something seemingly important to say and the very first commenter says it instead but, yeah, she doesn't really seem like she's chucked aside the hefty weight of society's imposed standards. Or maybe she was born into a traveling circus family or something and so this IS rebellious and revolutionary.

That said, she's doing something seemingly creative and hopefully she's enjoying doing it. And I'm gonna hope/assume that those excerpted tweets were cherry picked from a bunch of others that weren't quite such downers.

And with THAT said, this was pretty funny. Thanks.
Posted by mikethehammer on March 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM · Report this
Wandergeist 31
Do we even know what her real name is? Because "Charity Mainville" is clearly a drag name -- and I've never seen any actual women in Seattle dressed like that or (especially) wearing those shoes.
Posted by Wandergeist on March 9, 2013 at 12:20 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 32
The woman sounds like a real-life Patsy Stone, right down to the "Director" title.

Patsy's simply cannot cut it in Seattle, no matter how many fancy stores, chic hotels and sky-high condos they build. At the end of the day, We're the Saffy of cities. It just won't work.

Which is too bad. I enjoy women like her.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on March 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM · Report this
@32: I do miss patsy and eddy.
Posted by gracey on March 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM · Report this
You get the win for best SLOG of the week for the use of 'evanescent.'

Also, the notion that her name is 'Charity' is oddly amusing.
Posted by CPN on March 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM · Report this
One more thing.

Drinking at 10:41 a.m. in January? Really?

Rookie. I'm drinking by 10:41 every morning...
Posted by CPN on March 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM · Report this
Oh Christopher Frizzelle you poor frail little man. As the Editor of The Stranger you really have nothing better to do with your capabilities then trashing another publication's employees? The funniest part about this moronic post is that Christopher completely contradicts facts he wrote in a blog just two days prior.

After stating "It's not the fact that it's (DList Magazine) been around for five years and no one's ever heard of it," in your overly intellectual rhetoric above. You said in your previous blog two days ago...

And I quote: "Of course, Seattle is well-known for its panoply of quality print publications—for a whiff of the way Seattle media is lighting up the literary map, just take a stroll through the Editor's Notes that kick off the content in Seattle magazine, Seattle Metropolitan, City Arts, or D-List. That cutting-edge copy clicked on a lightbulb in my head: Every great publication has an Editor's Note—except The Stranger! After running the idea up the flagpole to see if it would stick, every member of my staff said that only an Editor's Note would be able to stir the passions and challenge the cultural assumptions people make about The Stranger."

Here is the entire blog: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/edito…

You are everything that is wrong with Seattle. Your sideways "hipster ideals" are as ridiculous as trying to put down a woman who came to Seattle to start a new career. What's wrong with that? What's wrong with being a little homesick from a city you lived in for 7 years? I'm sure you don't get off the hill much so you wouldn't understand.

Mrs. Mainville also threw an event the first week she moved to Seattle that raised over $5000 for local Seattle charities. Geez...what worthless human being that only cares about champagne showers!

Continue the great work over there at The Stranger by putting down fellow Seattleites that only want to make this a more diverse and unique place to live. Great journalism!
More...
Posted by Jrock_206 on March 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM · Report this
seatackled 37
@36

So I guess Charity may have decided on "trainwreck" instead of "good sport."
Posted by seatackled on March 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM · Report this
@36: A lot of words. Next time, just call Christopher an asshole and leave it at that.
Posted by J.R. on March 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM · Report this
McJulie 39
I keep reading the name as China Mieville and being disappointed. sometimes I think Seattle should be more like New Orleans. No sane person wants anyplace to be more like Las Vegas.
Posted by McJulie on March 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM · Report this
@36 Hi Charity! Nice about-to-give-a-blowjob pose in your professional picture.
Posted by rocketgeek on March 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM · Report this
@40 -- That was unnecessary. And people don't generally squat to give blow jobs ...
Posted by Amanda on March 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM · Report this
@36

I like how that "Editor's Note" blog post sailed over your oppressed little noggin with a good twelve feet of clearance.

Or perhaps you're just doing a bang-up job of staying in character? Either way, keep up the good work!
Posted by robotslave on March 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 43
"people don't generally squat to give blow jobs ..."

I find it depends on where you are and what you're wearing.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on March 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 44
@36: "You are everything that is wrong with Seattle."

Manchildren and womenchildes trying to shoehorn the "best" of their frat/sorority lifestyle long past their expiration date are probably worse.

Partying is fun, and plenty of it can be found in the city, but being mad that Seattle doesn't pack the mystique of Vegas or some other trashfest shows that you've missed the point. If you want to "defy standards", maybe you should actually do something counterculture. Getting trashed and playing nouveau riche at the bottle clubs with someone else's money isn't subverting any dominant paradigm.

Try actually having fun without waiting for the cameras to show you how much fun you're having so you can share it with the rest of your rapidly declining sorority sisters? Sheesh. There are different experiences in each city, you don't have to replicate shitty megaclubs everywhere you go.
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 10, 2013 at 2:08 PM · Report this
@36: "After stating 'It's not the fact that it's (DList Magazine) been around for five years and no one's ever heard of it,' in your overly intellectual rhetoric above.

What happened after Christopher "stated" that? My curiosity is piqued, tell me more.
Posted by 0tter on March 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM · Report this
Sounds to me like Christopher Frizzelle is a little envious of a new writer. So Christopher, do you check your facts or just use fiction. Twisting words to your advantage is a trait you see to carry on.

Give the girl the advantage of trying to make something exciting happen in the area. In fact you might even enjoy the ride.
Posted by MNIT on March 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM · Report this
dadadiemaus 47
I'm pretty sure this is a more elaborate response from Charity:
Posted by dadadiemaus on March 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM · Report this
Who the hell is this hooker? exactly she is a nobody, saying she is in the public eye? yeah probably among her customers back in Vegas when she was giving them charity ha ha. She is coming here to tell the people of Seattle how to have fun? complaining about this amazing city? why the hell did she come here in the first place?! Day club? yeah whatever, during the day the people of Seattle can do better things other than drinking! She is a drunk and thinks everyone's charter is to get plastered 7 days a week and dress like a hooker. No Charity there is a city for that (where you came from) Get it, this is Seattle. Go back where you came from! You are an embarrassment to this city. Let’s be real…Seattle is NOT like LA or Vegas or New York or Toronto. And you can’t change people to fit like those cities…
Posted by thetruth4U on March 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM · Report this
This just in! I know her personally... And guess what people, she isn't wanted here! No one cares for her..... She was no one here in Vegas and continues to move to other states trying to use a Vegas title that she doesn't have...she was a terrible bartender, a pathetic blogger, who published a book based word for word off of her blog...which just tells the story of how she was a whore...she's wack and she's has worn her welcome out of 4 states now! Keep her!
Posted by Vegas on June 18, 2013 at 7:41 AM · Report this
Wow... interesting reading everyone. As someone who has known her and her family for years it seems that over the last couple years we've been out of touch other than Facebook or twitter. While it can be said that someone from a small town can go a little crazy in the big city(ies). From what I have talked to her brother about she moved to Seattle to open the area up to some publicity and show that there is more than Starbucks, Amazon or rain in Washington state. While I'm sure many that have replied in this forum aren't into that type of scene, there is obviously some who are otherwise, she would have left for other venues long ago.

She has a job that she enjoys whether or not she enjoys where she is doing the job from. Everyone has their opinions about things and she gets paid for hers. Imagine how much happier some of your lives would be if you got paid for some of the mundane misspelled stuff you like to hate and write about.
Posted by Wisconsin on July 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM · Report this