As you may or may not know, Julia's on Broadway throws a viewing party every Monday for RuPaul's Drag Race hosted by Jinkx Monsoon and BenDeLaCreme. A LOT of people already know about this—by last night's 8 pm pre-show, people were being turned away in droves. What you get at the viewing party is Jinkx and BenDeLaCreme bantering during commercial breaks and taking questions from the audience and bantering further and performing songs and still more bantering. Occasionally, there are special guests, as there was last night. I squeezed myself into the crowded room to bring you the highlights.
• Jinkx on how packed it was: "I'm going to try crowd surfing later."
• BenDeLaCreme on being stuck in an airport in Chicago recently: "Airport bathrooms are not as much fun as they sound on the news."
• Jinkx on what it was like watching the show in San Francisco last week: "I have to tell you guys: Doing a viewing party in a different city really made me miss doing the viewing party here." San Francisco is full of "mean, mean people." She was talking about her Grey Gardens-related victory last week, which prompted lots of people to make fun of all the drag queens who didn't know what Grey Gardens is—teasing that went too far, Jinkx said. "I never thought when I was a 15-year-old drag queen: 'I hope one day I have to tell the whole internet to shush!'"
• BenDeLaCreme on the plot development in this week's episode about recording a song to benefit homeless youth: "So the proceeds from Coco's lyrics—they're going to help the homeless youth? It's almost like they don't want them off the streets."
• Jinkx explaining the difference between stage makeup and TV makeup. She overdid it in a big way last night, and did not think she looked good, and chalked it up to a learning experience.
• The special guest at last night's viewing party was... Latrice Royale!! From last season. Although, alas, Latrice was not in drag. She was a he, and the he was wearing Birkenstocks and socks, of all things. White socks. "I'm like a mess, I'm like a bum," Latrice said. "This is a very Northwest look," BenDeLaCreme commented.
• Jinkx on what she was doing when the cameras were off (everyone was isolated, to make sure all the interpersonal drama happened onscreen): "Most of the time off camera was spent at Jack in the Box or in my hotel room watching TV."
• Jinkx on whether she'll be doing anymore theater at the 5th Avenue or Balagan any time soon: "Nothing's nailed down. I will say I'll go in to audition for Into the Woods, for a role once played by Bernadette Peters... a role I've always wanted to play."
• BenDeLaCreme diffusing something Latrice Royale was trying to start: "Latrice, we don't start fights in Seattle. We burn sage. I have a gluten intolerance."
• Jinkx: "Ru said to me: 'Artists go through periods.'"
There's another viewing party at Julia's next week. Jinkx will be there.