Thursday, February 28, 2013

Fate Makes a Family

Posted by on Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Grab a tissue before you head over to the New York Times to read the rest of this story:

Danny called me that day, frantic. “I found a baby!” he shouted. “I called 911, but I don’t think they believed me. No one’s coming. I don’t want to leave the baby alone. Get down here and flag down a police car or something.” By nature Danny is a remarkably calm person, so when I felt his heart pounding through the phone line, I knew I had to run.

When I got to the A/C/E/ subway exit on Eighth Avenue, Danny was still there, waiting for help to arrive. The baby, who had been left on the ground in a corner behind the turnstiles, was light-brown skinned and quiet, probably about a day old, wrapped in an oversize black sweatshirt....

Three months later, Danny appeared in family court to give an account of finding the baby. Suddenly, the judge asked, “Would you be interested in adopting this baby?” The question stunned everyone in the courtroom, everyone except for Danny, who answered, simply, “Yes.”

Pick1 1
Annnnnd now I'm a blubbering mess.
Posted by Pick1 on February 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM · Report this
me too jesus.
Posted by jaansdornea on February 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM · Report this
AWWWWWWWWWW thank you Dan. :)
Posted by Action Kate on February 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM · Report this
yelahneb 4
omg. that was beautiful!
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on February 28, 2013 at 11:47 AM · Report this
joematango 5
I neglected to get a tissue and now I'm wiping my eyes on my shirt sleeve. What a great story. Thanks, Dan.
Posted by joematango on February 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM · Report this
WHERE DID ALL THIS DUST COME FROM?
Posted by MLM on February 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM · Report this
This Danny fellow ruined a perfectly good Libertarian experiment. Couldn't he tell that infant was on the verge of true self-sufficient Randian perfection? Stop codling these babies with "shelter", "food", and your weak willed Leftist love and eventually we will have a perfect society.
Posted by tkc on February 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM · Report this
emor 8
Amazing.
Posted by emor on February 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM · Report this
Fnarf 9
My eyes started to burn when Kevin....just read the story.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM · Report this
Damn allergies. (sniff) Thanks, Dan.
Posted by NotYourStrawMan on February 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 11
You trying to restore my faith in humanity or somethin'?

Posted by Pope Peabrain on February 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM · Report this
Wow! It's like the start of a fairy tale. I hope this doesn't mean that a dragon will plague New York in sixteen years. And that this kid grows up safe and sound in a loving household. (Sorry, but Oscar Pistorius taught me to be skeptical of happy stories, darn murdering sonovah...)
Posted by DRF on February 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM · Report this
According to my personal experience, grab two tissues.
Posted by Squirly on February 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM · Report this
A whole box of tissues.
Posted by ddmama on February 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Awesome that the KID suggested using the same judge.

And can someone please remind me exactly how having two dads (or two moms) is supposed to be harmful for a child?
Posted by From the South (as in CA) on February 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM · Report this
katrat 16
Yayyyyy!
Posted by katrat http://www.kathrynrathke.com/ on February 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM · Report this
Man, as if I didn't have enough things to watch out for, now every time I go into the subway I'm going to be worried about ending up with a kid.
Posted by Chase on February 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 18
I only skimmed it, and I'm a little sniffly.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on February 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM · Report this
Cornichon 19
Would be interesting to learn the name of the judge, who's as much a hero of the story as the parents (and Kevin). Talk about judicial activism !!
Posted by Cornichon http://cornichon.org on February 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 20
That was beautiful. I'm on my lunch break and have to go back to teaching in 6 minutes. Hopefully they wont be able to tell I was crying. :-\
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on February 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM · Report this
*sniff*
Posted by JJinAus on February 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM · Report this
All right Dan. Tell us the truth. How many tissues did you go through? Good thing you warned me in advance. Thanks for sharing. That was a wonderful story.
Posted by SeattleKim on February 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM · Report this
Lance Thrustwell 23
Gaw. I teared up a lil' too. That judge seems like a real mensch (womensch?). I wish there were more judges out there willing to use their power to cut through red tape like that.
Posted by Lance Thrustwell on February 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM · Report this
despicable me 24
Everyone in my office loved this. It's a good thing I had a spare box of tissue.
Posted by despicable me on February 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM · Report this
Oh hell. The workman fixing my bathroom is going to get back from his lunch break in like 3 minutes, and I'm bawling like an idiot.
Posted by JrzWrld on February 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM · Report this
Allyn 26
fucking mascara.
Posted by Allyn on February 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM · Report this
What is this sudden ache in my chest.
Posted by Prettybetsy on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM · Report this
What is this salty discharge?
Posted by ohthetrees on February 28, 2013 at 2:09 PM · Report this
It's really hard to be sneaky reading the internet at work when I'm crying like a baby.
Posted by akrizman on February 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM · Report this
I'm crying for all the baby ACEs who got stuck in crap foster homes or worse. Same sex marriage will be the saving grace for tens of thousands of kids.
Posted by kwodell on February 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM · Report this
Amazing story. Go humanity!

I'm supposed to meet friends in a few minutes and now I've got to pull myself togeher.
Posted by Eric from Boulder on February 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM · Report this
emma's bee 32
Bawww! That was beautiful. Congrats to the family and the judge.
Posted by emma's bee on February 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM · Report this
OutInBumF 33
Sometimes people do the right thing, despite the odds against it. Thanks, Dan (and Joe Jervis).
Posted by OutInBumF on February 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM · Report this
Thank you for sharing this, Dan. It's beautiful.
Posted by monkeylover on February 28, 2013 at 4:27 PM · Report this
What good fortune that this came up before one of the very few judges with good intuition and a benign character. And I'm glad that the boy seems to have turned out well.
Posted by vennominon on February 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM · Report this
You were right about the tissues: Awwwwwwwww.
Posted by judybrowni on February 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM · Report this
Finders Keepers, right?

Amirite?!

Too bad Danny couldn't have found a baby.

Would have saved him some major coin......
Posted by End of Daze on February 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM · Report this
@37
Reading the story and comments wouldn't have been complete without seeing something from you. You're like my favorote cranky uncle. Hugs.
Posted by Clayton on February 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM · Report this
ballard dude 39
good f@cking god i know i'm a pretty sensitive guy but damn... tears through the whole thing.
Posted by ballard dude on March 1, 2013 at 1:23 AM · Report this
I was dry-eyed until "Can I give you a hug?" :'}
Posted by KCFrance on March 1, 2013 at 4:21 AM · Report this
Just as I suspected, this proves I have no feelings. An interesting story, but not an atom of humidity.
Posted by GasparFagel on March 1, 2013 at 5:36 AM · Report this
singing cynic 42
I must be the only nerd who hears "baby found in subway station" and whose brain immediately goes to "The Importance of Being Earnest." Black sweatshirt/black handbag....

In all seriousness, beautiful story.
Posted by singing cynic on March 1, 2013 at 5:53 AM · Report this
Everyone loves a happy ending.

But isn't this a case of "judge pulls a decision out of her ass without knowing a goddamned thing about the people she was handing a baby over to and, thank god, it worked out but it sure as hell was luck rather than good planning?"

The judge "on a hunch" (so far as we're told) handed a baby over to just some guy who found him in the subway. That's it. Next to zero checks into the prospective parent(s). That it turned out well is a touching story. That it happened that way is insane and an indictment of the judge. The LW might have been another Joel Steinberg for all she knew, or cared.
Posted by seeker6079 on March 1, 2013 at 6:53 AM · Report this
Link fixed:

Joel Steinberg
Posted by seeker6079 on March 1, 2013 at 6:55 AM · Report this
@43 I agree that the decision and process seem rushed, but from the text it seems that even though they were handed the child pretty much right away they were still under supervision for a long while before the actual adoption. If they had proved to be unfit parents the child would surely have been removed.
Posted by Friendstastegood on March 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM · Report this
Chelydra_serpentina 46
No tears from me (does that mean I'm an unfeeling, empty soul?), but knowing what the outcome was probably going to be, I kept thinking, "This is how families are made."

And Dad wrote a screenplay about it? This is one of those stories that, if someone had pulled it out of his or her imagination, a studio's response would have been, "Oh, come on. That is just too damn perfect to be realistic. People will roll their eyes at the sentimentality."

Fortunately for Kevin and his dads, real life doesn't have to be pre-screened for excessive sentimentality.
Posted by Chelydra_serpentina on March 1, 2013 at 11:46 AM · Report this
@42 To lose one parent is unfortunate. To lose both looks like carelessness.
Posted by Clayton on March 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM · Report this