Wednesday, February 27, 2013

This Is So Fucking Cool

Posted by on Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Okay, I'll warn you now that there's a big nepotism tag on this post. My brother Michael has been taking super high-resolution panoramas of the city, such as this one that I posted recently, but he's getting better at them. His latest panaorama has about three times the detail, it's shot at sunrise over Sodo, and you can go full screen and ZOOM WAY IN. It's right over HERE.

Yes, yes, I'm biased and all that—but... it's so neat. I love you, Slog, and I had to share.

UPDATE: Holy crap. This one taken from Gasworks Park, of the skyline and everything else in town, might be even better.

That is amazing. Thanks for sharing, Dom.
Posted by SeattleKim on February 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 2
Nepotism or not, I love these. Thanks.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on February 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM · Report this
Fnarf 3
Gah! Doesn't ANYBODY in this town have the decency to stand naked on their balcony?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM · Report this
kitschnsync 4
I didn't realize that reporter Dom Holden was related to DJ/photographer Michael Holden. I r smrt.

What's next? I suppose you're going to tell me that your father is also a semi-well-known Seattle figure?
Posted by kitschnsync on February 27, 2013 at 4:07 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 5
Mr Fnarf, when the temperature hits a scorching 72F We might see a few folks in the buff. Please wait until the end of August for updates.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on February 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM · Report this
emma's bee 6
I love the Gasworks Park one. I stood up on that peculiar mound on a dreary day in November trying to capture the feeling that is right there in his image.
Posted by emma's bee on February 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Homeland Chile 7
#5, at the end of August I'm always at Burning Man, so is it cool if we schedule the "everyone naked on their porch" shoot for the Loud Boats weekend?

Srsly, glad y'all dig 'em. If you know of a great place to shoot, or can get me onto the roof of any tall building or structure (bridge, crane, water tower etc) hit me up at michael@michaelholden.com -- my camera bag is always packed and ready to go.
Posted by Homeland Chile http://MichaelHolden.com on February 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM · Report this
Cornichon 8
#4, I should certainly hope so! (Cornichon just is my stage name, my nom de blog, as it were.) And there's even a third Holden brother, Dave, who toils in Hollywood, writing TV sitcoms.
Posted by Cornichon http://cornichon.org on February 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM · Report this
Homeland Chile 9
I'm the black sheep: the only person in this family that isn't a fucking writer.
Posted by Homeland Chile http://MichaelHolden.com on February 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM · Report this
Fnarf 10
@5, naw, man, if the ladies are going to be standing outside I want it to be cold.

@7, I recommend the Jefferson Park Lawn Bowling Club, which has a commanding view of the entire industrial area, downtown beyond, and the bay and the islands and mountains beyond that. Best view in Seattle. If you took it during the day you might catch the Samoans playing 20-a-side cricket in the field below. They won't let you on the greens, but you could set up on the other side of the (short) fence and not be in anybody's way.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 11
Damn, these pictures make me miss Seattle.
Posted by Matt from Denver on February 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM · Report this
Homeland Chile 12
#10 -- great suggestion! I know exactly where that is, never thought of it as a shoot location.

Of course, what I really want is for someone to say "I have the keys to the tower, meet me out front at midnight and I'll take you up".
Posted by Homeland Chile http://MichaelHolden.com on February 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM · Report this
Wow. Great photos!
Posted by gnossos on February 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM · Report this
south downtown 14
awesome
Posted by south downtown on February 28, 2013 at 1:49 AM · Report this
Allyn 15
@3 Fnarf, if you look in my office window, you can see my breasts mashed against the window.

@9 Homeland Chile, you've picked work that may earn less money than writing. Thanks for the pics, though; they are lovely and fun.
Posted by Allyn on February 28, 2013 at 7:39 AM · Report this
zombie eyes 16
The quality is amazing...zoom in all the way on the Gasworks shot and you can see reflections in the windows. Nice work, Homemade Chilly.
Posted by zombie eyes on February 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM · Report this
Fnarf 17
@15, I haven't found 'em yet, but I'll spend the rest of my life trying.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM · Report this
Argh. Homesick now.
Posted by malwae on March 1, 2013 at 4:48 AM · Report this
Kitts 19
It looks like I'm not the only person who gets homesick looking at these. Thanks for sharing them.
Posted by Kitts on March 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM · Report this