Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Jinkx Monsoon Was Dubbed "the Meryl Streep of Drag Queens" on RuPaul's Drag Race Last Night

Posted by on Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM

All the homosexuals in the building are so frantic getting A&P, our quarterly arts magazine, off to the printer that no one remembered to put up the news: Jinkx Monsoon killed it last night. Gawker called it "the best-ever impression of Little Edie Bouvier Beale," and they have a highlight reel right here. But whatever with highlights, you ought to watch the whole thing. The alternate headline for this post was "Hometown Hero Outsmarts a Pack of Wolves."

(Thanks, Banna.)

I just can't get over how some of them didn't know who Little Edie was. What kind of Queens are these?
Posted by hal on February 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM · Report this
blip 2
I was mortified by the lack of talent and originality last night. All image, no substance. Jinkx slayed them all with grace and dignity.
Posted by blip on February 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM · Report this
"Drew Barrymore, eat your heart out," wrote Rich Juzwiak.
One of the contestants, Jinkx Monsoon, busted out an impression of cult hero Little Edie Bouvier Beale (as immortalized in the Maysels brothers' 1975 documentary Grey Gardens) that was so spot on, all it was missing was the scent of cat urine. Most of Jinkx's competitors had no idea who Little Edie was and were condescending about it instead of being ashamed like they should have.
Posted by gloomy gus on February 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM · Report this
I got so excited I didn't see you'd already linked to it!
Posted by gloomy gus on February 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM · Report this
sprflycat 5
Get it Jinkx!!!
Posted by sprflycat http://hustleandfaith.tumblr.com/ on February 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM · Report this
Will we be the first generation to vote for an openly gay Pope?

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on February 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 7
i know who she is and i'm straight! wake the fuck up, ignorant little kids!

or better yet, don't because 206!
Posted by Max Solomon on February 26, 2013 at 9:28 PM · Report this
wingedkat 8
ok. I get it. How many seasons are there? I will get no more work done.
Posted by wingedkat on February 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM · Report this
The movie was adapted to a musical, and it features in a Rufus Wainwright song. Netflix is practically free. No excuse for not knowing who Little Edie was.
Posted by kinaidos on February 26, 2013 at 9:53 PM · Report this
KingofQueenAnne 10
I love how Jinxx stole the moment from Ivy Winter's Marilyn Monroe drawing a blank on the fact that MARILYN SHAGGED JFK. Good for Jinxx for having cracked open a history book or two.
Posted by KingofQueenAnne http://blingeejesus.blogspot.com on February 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM · Report this
seandr 11
First time I've ever watched this show - I'm hooked!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE how Jynkx is doing her own smart, original thing. "I do think we have a slightly different aesthetic." Indeed!! Plus, she's really pretty.

Go Jynkx!
Posted by seandr on February 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM · Report this
Gospodean 12
Wow. Jinkx showed not only how literate and original SHE is, but also spoke well of her hometown, the #2 most literate town IN THE U.S! Go Jinkxy!
Posted by Gospodean on February 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM · Report this
GO GO JINKXY! I'm a straight lady and I know who Little Edie is, and she killed it.

That small bit where she's upset that the other queens don't get her drag broke my heart. I get your drag, Jinkx, and you are my favorite type of Queen.
Posted by Greycat on February 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM · Report this
It's Monsoon season!
Posted by motoko on February 27, 2013 at 1:41 AM · Report this
David Schmader 15
SO PROUD. Keep killin' it, Jinkx.
Posted by David Schmader on February 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM · Report this
Jinkx deserves his own comedy/variety show, on cable tv of course.
Posted by neo-realist on February 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM · Report this
I've been Team Jinkx since the beginning. And while for the first couple episodes she got a little lost in the morass of bitchiness, drama, and terrible queens (cough-Cha Cha, Pinay, Mahogany- cough) Jinkx has been quietly moving to the forefront of the competition. She's by far the most relatable, likable, sweet, talented, funny, enjoyable-to-watch queen this season has got and I hope she keeps rising in the ranks to take the crown.

My current top three are Alaska (who I was initially apprehensive about but has since proven herself in spades), Detox, and Jinkx with Jinkx taking the crown.

It's about time a talented, successful, funny camp queen takes a crown.

Oh and Visage needs to freaking let go of the "Glamazon" critique. You know what being obsessed with polish and look alone gets you? Tyra Sanchez. And we all know how well that travesty turned out.
Posted by AedanCRoberts on February 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM · Report this