and Drunks

Monday, February 25, 2013

Today in Dumb Politicians: Blackface for Purim

Posted by on Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

It's not April Fool's yet, is it?

A state assemblyman from Brooklyn, N.Y., wore blackface paint and an Afro wig to a costume party over the weekend, and says he "can't imagine anyone getting offended."

The party was for the Jewish holiday Purim, a festive celebration often commemorated by dressing up.

According to Politicker, Assemblyman Dov Hikind hosted a Purim party at his home over the weekend...Hikind told Politicker that he was "trying to emulate, you know, maybe some of these basketball players."

Up until now, I've always thought of For Your Consideration when I hear about Purim. But old Assemblyman Hikind maybe burned another indelible image into my mind.

Next time I'm dressed up as a zombie, I'll call it Jewface. Get it? I hope I didn't just steal one of Seth McFarlane's Oscar jokes.
Posted by kinaidos on February 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM · Report this
Doctor Memory 2
This is, unfortunately, entirely in character for Hikind, by a long yard the dumbest man in the NY state legislature. (A title with no little competition, as you might imagine.) A shonda für die goyim, as my grandmother would say.
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on February 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM · Report this
Apocynum 3
Huh. It doesn't look like Blackface so much as dressing up as Sai Baba:

Not that it fixes much, but is everyone sure that they're offended for the right people here?
Posted by Apocynum on February 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM · Report this
Occasionally a dumb Jew comes along. But not in the same frequency as do dumb non-Jews.
Posted by sarah70 on February 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM · Report this
samktg 5
A shame to our people.
Posted by samktg on February 26, 2013 at 5:25 AM · Report this
Finally got over my "oy vey" and "what do you expect from Dov Hikind" reactions enough to force myself to look at the photo.

My reaction? He's such a schmuck, he didn't even do blackface right. Shoulda been several shades darker with pink or white lipstick. (Hey, if you're going for something, you might as well grab for the big brass ring.) As @3 points out, the "look" he achieved looks more South Asian than anything. (And, yes, we're sure we're offended for the right people, because the schmuck explained what he was depicting when asked.)

What an ass.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on February 26, 2013 at 6:56 AM · Report this
Really people? It's a fucking costume party. You get dressed up as something you're not and have a few drinks. WTF is the problem?

Look, I get the history of blackface and why it's offensive but this is a costume party, not Broadway theater. He's not doing blackface to make sure that "dirty negros" are kept off stage. He's painting his face as part of a silly costume at a party Chill out people.
Posted by Root on February 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM · Report this