Monday, February 25, 2013

The Walking Dead (and Girls) Chitty-Chat Club!

Posted by on Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Think it's weird for me to recap The Walking Dead and Girls as if they're the same show? WELL, THEY ARE THE SAME SHOW. Join me after the jump for this week's spoilery recaps, and chime in with your own Walking Girls comments!

People may despise me... but at least I aint Jessa.
  • Courtesy AMC
  • "People may despise me... but at least I ain't Jessa."

So here's what I'm thinking:

1) At the now zombie infested pokey, everybody is PISSED at Rick for chasing off after Lori's ghost when he should've been psychically reading the mind of the Guv'nah and preventing the attack on the prison! (Yeah, Rick! Learn to read minds, asshole!) Even Carl tells Rick he should step down—and promises management he will do a better job AND work for less money. Goddamn interns! Always trying to steal our jobs!

2) Meanwhile, over in Girls land, Hannah accompanies the most despicable character on TV (Jessa) to her parents' place in remote upstate New York. (You know... Farmer McDrunky complains about his missing leg all the time, but Hannah has a UTI—so just LAY OFF.)

3) Meanwhile in the now-not-so-cozy confines of the Woodbury Liberal Arts College, Blondie McGunnerson is convinced that she can sneak off to the prison, sing "Kumbayah" and everybody will be friends again. Oh, sweet Jesus, she is stupid. The Guv'nah tells Toady McAssistant to accompany her—but they run into Tyrese (AKA the next black person the show will kill off) and his gang, who decide to movie in and take up arms with the arthritic and asthmatic Woodburyians to murder any future interlopers (AKA RIck's Rangers). RAHHHHH!!

4) So Jessa's father is a flakey limey hippie dick—which is kind of the worst combination, don't you think? However, he's currently shacking up with the best-named stepmother ever "Petula" (played to hippie perfection by Rosanna Arquette). Hippie dad reminds Jessa that they "are not like other people" and for once, he's right. They are both spoiled rotten hippie dicks and I hate them, especially Jessa!!!

5) Meanwhile back at the prison, Blondie McGunnerson arrives and because she is terrible, no one is especially happy about her arrival. She gets caught up on the latest news and then shamed by Michonne because she's such a Guv'nah brown-noser. Blondie is given the advice to return to Woodbury, make sexy time with the Guv'nah, and SLIT HIS THROAT. Oh, and poke out his other eye, too—so they'll match.

6) Meanwhile back in spoiled rotten hippie land, Jessa gets her stupid itty-bitty feelings hurt when her dad would rather attend a lecture than spend time with her. (So would I! And you know how I feel about lectures!) So off she runs with Hannah, stepson "Camel Toe" Frank, and some other whippet snorting dude. After a terrifying car ride, Hannah jumps out and has awkward 8-second semi-sex with Camel Toe—which would not have helped her UTI (good thing he came inside her "thigh crease")—and of course Jessa judges her for that because she's the WORST!

7) Meanwhile back in Woodbury, Blondie McGunnerson successfully completes half of her assignment (boning the Guv'nah) but flakes out when it comes to the stabbity-stab-stab portion of the job, because you can't ask Blondie to do anything without fucking it up, and she's the WORST!

8) Meanwhile back in UTI land, Jessa boo-hoos to daddy that HE'S supposed to be the reliable one because she's the CHILD! (God, I hate her so much. Even when she's right.) So she takes off, leaving poor Hannah and her UTI behind. (Again, because she's the WORST.)

9) A fairly boring and terrible episode of Dead (in my opinion), and the sooner someone kills off Blondie, the happier I'll be. Girls was fun and thoughtful as usual—and for an episode about Jessa? NOT TOO BAD. The episode was certainly assisted by such great Hannah quips such as, "Whippets are what killed Demi Moore." HAAA!! Nice. WHAT DID YOU GUYS THINK?

Preparing for the UTI apocalypse.

Theodore Gorath 1
At this point, I am unsure why the TV version of Walking Dead wants to split so far from the books. There is really no reason for the show to keep the survivors in one place so long. It results in boring episodes like this that are just filler, essentially.

There were lots of exciting moments in the books that were just cut right out of the show, and for no good reason. The early raid on the national guard depot after they get to the prison, for instance, and Rick getting captured at Woodbury. Also, the time the group spends on the road is great, and the show does not want that at all. Would make for better episodes than what we are getting.

Pretty disappointed that Andrea is so dumb and ineffectual on the show. She was very capable and sharp in the books, and was one of my favorite characters.

The time on the farm dragged for a whole season, and now they are doing the same thing at the prison.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on February 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM · Report this
What the hell was up with the Tom Waits song at the end? First we had to listen to the farmers daughter caterwauling of the song, (as if some teenage farmers daughter from Ass County Georgia knows a Tom Waits song), then when they fade up Tom, it just makes no god damn sense at all. There simply is no connection, musically, lyrically or emotionally to the story arc.
Quite possibly the dumbest episode yet.
Posted by Pol Pot on February 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM · Report this
Fenrox 3
@1 I think its because they were so "eh" about keeping to it in the first 2 seasons, now they realize that nobody likes the show without it, so they are putting it all back in.
Posted by Fenrox on February 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 4
Girls has turned me around this season. It wasn't that I hated season one, but I couldn't connect to any of the characters who seemed to be emotional gelatin. Nothing phased them much, and they didn't love anyone - merely tolerated and used people. I thought, "Shit! These are the Millenniums? I worried about the future."

The series isn't written for me, and I'm way too old to be watching it, but I do. And as alarmed as I was at season one, I've been very devoted to season two. It's way better than I originally gave it credit for.

Now...about last night: Jessa does seem to be a messed up little (whatever). I excuse her partly because of the family life she's had. And even though she seems to only take what she needs from people, I think she has a real affection for Hannah, and I think, for whatever reason, Hannah loves Jessa, too.

There's a lot of hipster irony in Girls - some of which, as an old guy, I don't get. Hannah choice in clothing, I'm sure, is probably supposed to be noteworthy. To me, she just looks un-kept and hygienically-challenged. But I still like her, oddly enough. I adored last week's episode with Patrick Wilson. Her performance was nothing short of spellbinding.

So the series is aptly named Girls. The guys in it aren't nearly as interesting as the young women are. Some have their moments though.

Can you believe the season finale is already next week?
Posted by Bauhaus I on February 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM · Report this
Andrea needs to go. Walking Dead needs to develop a sense of humor- the blacker the better, given where they're at and what's going on- the show is really going off the rails. Give me a reason to keep watching.
Posted by Duvall-ite on February 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM · Report this
Girls is unwatchable - wealthy white girl problems. Don't care, won't watch.
Posted by westello on February 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM · Report this
JonnoN 7
Walking dead soooo boring. I hope everyone dies next week, Andrea first.
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on February 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM · Report this
lizlemon 8
This episode of WD seemed just like a filler episode. Literally nothing important happened at all. Andrea continues to be useless (why was that entire episode about her when nothing happened??). Hopefully the writers have a direction for the show, so far it seems like they are creating empty characters and side stories just to fill up airtime (like the mexican family that Darryl saved). I was especially hoping that they would go somewhere with the Tyrese introduction but now that has fallen flat. Kirkman, get your shit together!
Posted by lizlemon on February 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 9
What Girls needs is less Hannah & more Shoshanna.
Posted by Max Solomon on February 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM · Report this
Girls really has it's moments. For me it's glimpse into a world that I have no relationship with at all. It's fascinating. Like watching a documentary about some remote tribe and their primitive rituals. I can say to myself "Wow, that's like something I might have done. Only much stupider."

I think Dunham is very talented. She reminds me of a young Woody Allen.

But she's way too young and fresh to be getting all the hyperbolic accolades. Not to mention the amount of word-view projected on to her by her self-assumed "cohort." You go on cesspools like Jezebel and they go back and forth between calling for head for not fulfilling what ever proto-feminist or race idealogical checklist they demand and then saying she's being obsequious when she tries.

She has no body of work to judge yet, but she does have a support network of some of the most talented and experienced people in the business. It's impossible to say who she is, really.

In this regard she's kind of like The Monkee's. A completely manufactured product. But a well manufactured product. That at it's heart might be something pretty good. If people would shut up about her for ten seconds and let her fail and learn something. Then maybe we can see the greatness everybody wants.

Walking Dead? Fuck that nonsense. It's a stupid show that has coasted as far as it can on the power of a few decent actors and teenage fan-boy elation of it being from a graphic novel. After that it has nothing to say and nowhere to go. It will end exactly like you think.

Posted by tkc on February 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM · Report this