Monday, February 25, 2013

Free Public Transportation

Posted by on Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 7:02 AM

This is how you love a city...

On 1 January 2013, Tallinn became the largest European city and the first European capital to provide free public transport to its residents. The initial results of the move are encouraging: the use of public transport in Tallinn has already increased by 10% while traffic in city centre has reduced by 15%.

To know true love for the city is to know how to punish the private ownership of cars...

To cope with the new demand, Tallinn has invested in 70 new buses and 15 new trams. It has also put into place a series of deterrents to private car use, including expansion of exclusive bus lanes barred for private vehicles and increased parking charges and expanded paid parking area.

The ultimate citizen of a city does not live of it but lives for it.

Clara T 1
Edit this: "To who know true love for the city is to know how to punish the private ownership of cars..."
Posted by Clara T on February 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 2
Funny, yesterday as an answer to Seattle Transit Blog's article on transit for the poor, I suggested that we make transit free, via ORCA card, for any person who does not own, and are part of a household that does not own, a car.

The reasoning is that it is like the other people paying them to stay off the road and create less congestion..a kind of tax credit.

(The response was along the lines of If wishes were horses, ...

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on February 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM · Report this
lark 3
@2,
You make an interesting point. Awarding people for not owning a car? Good idea. BTW, I don't and have never owned an automobile.
Posted by lark on February 25, 2013 at 8:28 AM · Report this
mikethehammer 4
Not only does Bailo make an interesting point, but he remembers to close the italics tag. Should probably go out on a high note and refrain from posting for the rest of the day.
Posted by mikethehammer on February 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM · Report this
Yes, great idea Bailo, I'll just register my car in my grandma's name and get me a sweet freebie!
Posted by Bailo is an idiot on two blogs on February 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM · Report this
So... The "War on Cars" is a real thing, then? I thought it was bullshit propaganda that got waved around strawman-style like all the other "War On"s.
Posted by xizar on February 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM · Report this
treacle 7
<irony> But the bus system is supposed to make a profit, just like everything else! How can it make money if we let people ride for free? </irony>
Posted by treacle on February 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM · Report this
Uhhhhh, Island County WA offers free public transportation, Check out their free commuter service to Seattle, as well as the rest of their routes. Free rides, hell yeah!!!
Posted by pupuguru http://www.godsweed.org on February 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 9
@1 I think you meant to say "To know true communism is to have non-car owners subsidize your filthy disgusting habit".
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM · Report this
The ultimate citizen of an ant farm does not live of it but lives for it.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on February 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM · Report this
I'm concerned that this is available to "residents" and this is Europe. Do muslim immigrants in Estonia get a free ride also?
Posted by fetish on February 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM · Report this
Charles! I'd know your writing style anywhere! I play a slog game where I read without knowing the blogger and guess. I can always pick you, and most times pick Cienna, Paul, and Goldy (especially when he is indignant, which is most the time).
Posted by scratchmaster joe on February 25, 2013 at 5:47 PM · Report this
Hello, I was very encouraged to find this site. The reason being that this is such an informative post.
Really great blog keep it up.
Posted by taxi woodbury on March 11, 2013 at 7:28 AM · Report this
It looks like London is going the other way www.squidoo.com/public-transport-vs-luxu… according to the article here. I wonder where we will end up.
Posted by RagingBull on March 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM · Report this

Hi there, I was really encouraged to uncover this internet site. The purpose becoming that this is these kinds of an useful submit.
Genuinely great blog keep it up.
Posted by goldandgreentaxi on April 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM · Report this