Thursday, February 21, 2013

Mugabe turns 89

Posted by on Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM

The oldest dictator in the world is getting lonely...

But despite the God given old age, Mugabe says he is getting lonely, as all his peers and family are dying before him.

"In my small way, this is the task the Lord might have wanted me to fulfill among my people and as I carry the burden of fulfilling it, it being a divine task, I read it as a bidding of God," the State controlled newspaper, quoted the veteran leader as saying.

"A commandment that this is how you serve your nation."

As Mugabe celebrates his 89th birthday, he says he is raring to go, as he readies himself for an election that could see him being president of Zimbabwe until he is 94.

The deepest and greatest shame that Mugabe has brought on his people is the unavoidable fact that we (black Africans) would have been better off if the country was run by racist Ian Smith. You can say all you want, but talk is talk and truth is truth. Living under Smith was living with better standards. Black Zimbabweans who have a memory of Rhodesia have to live with that ugly fact every fucking day Mugabe is in power.

ScrawnyKayaker 1
My easily confused pea-brain misinterpreted this headline to read "Mudede turns 89," and returned the query "Who's trolling Charles?" before I could correct the process.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on February 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM · Report this
Mugabe has faced loneliness before, of course, and conquered it.

But I guess Marx will only provide you companionship when you're in prison.
Posted by robotslave on February 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM · Report this
Charles, it was your earlier post http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archive… that really opened my eyes to the heart-breaking loneliness of the aging dictator. I can't look at that video without misting up.
Posted by Eric from Boulder on February 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM · Report this

The last paragraph sounds like one of the I'm Just Saying posts from the unregistered racist(s) commenters.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on February 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM · Report this
lark 5
Charles,
I do recall you saying that. And, I agree. Indeed, Zimbabwe is far worse off under Robert Mugabe than under the late Ian Smith. I have even heard sentiment echoed in places like the Republic of Cameroon (where I lived for 3 years, 20 + years ago) that the country would be better off if the colonial mother country (in the case of Cameroon it would have been either Germany, France of Britain) had stayed on longer to ease transition into independence. Alas, that seems to be a most distressing fact. I am deeply sorry for Zimbabwe. Most unforunate.
Posted by lark on February 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM · Report this
South Africa's also been a rollicking success story since the natives took over, hasn't it?
Posted by catsnbanjos on February 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM · Report this
Charles Mudede 7
@6, south africa has a $400 billion economy! there is no comparison. its another reality. all of the young zimbos have moved either there or england.
Posted by Charles Mudede on February 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM · Report this
Charles Mudede 8
@6: also, for your information, since the blacks have been in power: "from 1993 until 2012, South Africa GDP Growth Rate averaged 3.2 Percent reaching an all time high of 7.6 Percent in December of 1994 and a record low of -6.3 Percent in March of 2009." the next year SA bounced back and 4.3 percent growth. yes, it's not china, but those numbers are not bad.
Posted by Charles Mudede on February 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM · Report this
@6 @7 @8 -- Especially when you consider that any country that has to deal with that level of AIDS would be suffering immensely. South Africa has done fairly well.

Zimbabwe, not so much. The big question there is what happens when Mubage dies. There is so much potential in that country that just been squandered. I hope there is a peaceful transition so the country can start rebuilding.
Posted by Ross on February 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM · Report this
If only the great economist, Ebenezer Mudede could have counseled Mugage. Oh, yeah. He did. Way to go. I guess getting Africans into the 20th century is like herding cats.
Posted by ExitOnly on February 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM · Report this
It seems to me that there's a risk that population growth turns all of sub saharan Africa into a giant Haiti-like shithole. Island nations like Singapore and Japan showed the way forward for continental Asia, it seems like Africa needs a similar beacon. Botswana and South Africa are less bad, but only by sub saharan African standards. Neither can be held up as having turned the corner and made it to first world prosperity and zero population growth.
Posted by efbrazil on February 22, 2013 at 8:36 AM · Report this