and Drunks

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Shut Down! Saigon Deli

Posted by on Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM

sorryclosed.ashx.png

Lovers of banh mi, take note: Seattle Deli (which we describe as "bright and clean": updating...) got shut down by the health department on January 10 for a slew of infractions:

• Potentially hazardous foods at unsafe temperatures
• Improper cooling of potentially hazardous food
• Potentially hazardous food improperly reheated
• Inadequate facilities to control temperature of potentially hazardous food, hot holding
• Foods not protected from cross-contamination
Poor personal hygiene practices, hand washing
• Thermometers not available or used
• Failure to correct repeated violations

Seattle Deli has since reopened.

Now, today, King County Public Health says that Saigon Deli (right across the streeton Jackson down a block from Seattle Deli) got shut down on Valentine's Day for:

• Potentially hazardous foods at unsafe temperatures
• Improper cooling of potentially hazardous food
Inadequate facilities to control temperature, cold holding
• Food not protected from contamination
• Equipment/utensils not properly sanitized
• Failure to correct repeated violations

You may find out when Saigon Deli re-reopens here.

It's lunchtime!

really does this surprise anyone?
Posted by Conrad McMasters on February 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM · Report this
I got a sandwich at Saigon Deli on Sunday.
Posted by paulus on February 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 3
Who the hell wants a non-hazardous banh mi? That's what gives it flavor. That and a good hot pepper.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on February 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 4
Considering I have eaten approximately hundreds of sandwiches from both establishments without incident, I am not terribly concerned.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on February 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM · Report this
I got a tofu bahn mi from Saigon Deli on Monday. It was yummy.
Posted by Charlie Mas on February 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM · Report this
I got food poisoning from a banh mi from Saigon Deli in 2007. Barfed for three days. Never again.
Posted by Jables on February 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM · Report this
I think King Co has some of the most strict health standards for restaurants in the country. I’m not surprised by closures etc Your home kitchen is more dangerous than either of these places. That wonderful little family run trattoria you ate in outside Rome, yeah .. it wouldn’t pass either.
Posted by olive oyl on February 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this
treacle 8
"Will you still get banh mi from one or both of these two places?"
Why no 'I don't know..' vote option?
I've enjoyed bahn mi from Saigon Deli... but now I'm simply unsure about our future together.
Posted by treacle on February 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 9
How bad does a place have to be to finally get shut down? There are places still open in Seattle that are disgusting beyond words. I'm shocked we don't see dozens of eateries closed weekly
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on February 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM · Report this
I know there are like 3 Saigon Delis within this block and I can never keep them straight. But I went to one of them yesterday, the one in the strip mall on the NE side of 12th/Jackson, and I'm sure it's doing all of these things too. In particular, the rows upon rows of delicious things on styrofoam trays wrapped in plastic wrap (salad rolls, pineapple, um...other stuff that I don't recognize...) that are just sitting out on a stainless table. Haven't gotten sick yet, but what?
Posted by royalpigeon on February 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 11
The hand washing thing is what worries me.

A lot of the other stuff is probably worse at your average picnic or BBQ, even if it's not great.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM · Report this
south downtown 12
from what i understand, the method used by these outlets - steam tables constantly restocked form the back, the noted shrink wrapped items - are not means that are recognized by the city or county.

as a regular consumer of these foods, and something we regularly serve to the family, i am not worried -- other than to say if you wanted to clear out a community and redevelop low lying buildings into a gleaming new extension of downtown served by an expensive streetcar, this is a good start.

let's try to save Little Saigon...
Posted by south downtown on February 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM · Report this
seatackled 13
On the plus side, if you go to the Stranger page for this deli, you'll find that one of the stupider racist gun nut trolls who comes around here claims to have gotten sick and thrown up in his car from their food and now can never enjoy a banh mi ever again.
Posted by seatackled on February 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM · Report this
litlnemo 14
The KIRO investigation showed some footage of Seattle Deli's kitchen that certainly gave me pause. Come on, they could put a lid on the items that are sitting out in the back room, etc. And sanitize things properly. I have worked in food service and I know that it can be done -- and is done by many Asian restaurants on a regular basis, so spare me the comments saying "they are being mean to Little Saigon."
Posted by litlnemo http://slumberland.org/ on February 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM · Report this
well_now 15
Meh... unless you're immunocompromised, it's probably fine. Just load it up with fresh jalapeños and hot sauce.

-immunologist
Posted by well_now on February 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM · Report this
Explorer 16
I'm continually dismayed at the disgusting state of Seattle restaurant kitchens *and* bathrooms. So much gross out there, and that's just from what I can see & experience as a customer.

I wish we had the letter grade system (which must be prominently displayed by the entrance) like they do in So. Cal. I lived there when it went into effect and it made a huge difference.
Posted by Explorer on February 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM · Report this
No one should see how laws or banh mi are made.
Posted by madcap on February 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM · Report this
Bemusedchicken 18
whenever i consume a sandwich from this area...i feel tired for several hours. interesting.
Posted by Bemusedchicken on February 19, 2013 at 7:57 PM · Report this
The thing that makes me stay away from a place is when the health department cites them for ignoring their order to fix or undo a violation. Then no thank you, you know?
Posted by Otto Toot Otto on February 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM · Report this
Are there roaches or flies on their food? Do they wash their hands and use gloves? Do they keep their hair off the food with hats or hair nets? Are their dishes clean? Their bathrooms? Are they ethical about throwing away whatever's expired? That's what I care

And yeah, my personal kitchen would be written up for so much that it would make the first minutes of the evening news.
Posted by floater on February 19, 2013 at 10:40 PM · Report this