Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Blade Runner Shot His Girlfriend Because He Did Not Have His Legs On

Posted by on Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM

This is what Oscar Pistorius said in an affidavit:

I sleep with my 9mm under my bed. I woke up to close the sliding door and heard a noise in the bathroom.
I was scared and didn’t switch on the light. I got my gun and moved towards the bathroom. I screamed at the intruder because I did not have my legs on, I felt vulnerable. I fired shots through the bathroom door and told Reeva to call police.
Your legs might help you on the field, but don't expect them to do the same in court.

On another note, the one thing about this case is that it has introduced America to lots of black police officers.

Fnarf 1
Uh, there are black SPD officers. I see one of them every day.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM · Report this
I don't get why, if his girlfriend was there and they'd gone to sleep together, his first thought on waking in the middle of the night was "there is definitely an intruder hanging out in my bathroom!" and not "my girlfriend is probably using the bathroom."
Posted by JenV on February 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM · Report this
theophrastus 3
...and the bloody cricket bat?

this guy is rightfully toast.
Posted by theophrastus on February 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 4
He is not credible and not sympathetic and he deserves prison.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on February 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM · Report this
Charles Mudede 5
@1, does 'lots' not mean anything anymore?
Posted by Charles Mudede on February 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM · Report this
I'm with Jen (#2) - if you live with someone, hear a noise in the bathroom, look over and that person is not in bed with you, you'd assume that's who is in the bathroom and go back to sleep.

Very odd.
Posted by westello on February 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM · Report this
@4 agreed about Charles, but I'm not sure it's a jailable offense
Posted by Randy Beaver on February 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 8
@2, 6,
He's probably lying, that's why.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on February 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM · Report this
seatackled 9
@2, @6, @8

But you'd think that because you have legs. If you didn't have legs, you'd feel vulnerable and you would act instinctively to protect yourself. Obviously, you haven't paid attention to his explanation.
Posted by seatackled on February 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM · Report this
GeneStoner 10
Charles, the 2012 Transparency International Corruption Perceptions Index ranked South Africa 69th out of 176 countries.

So are you saying that your higher percentage of black police officers is a good thing, but have a higher instance of corruption than other officers? (slow clapping) Way to go man, you are one brilliant-ass commie.

Who cares what race the officer is? As long as they are honorable, fight crime and follow the law.
Posted by GeneStoner on February 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM · Report this
seatackled 11
@5

Judging from the picture you provided, "lots" means "two." And they don't wear uniforms.
Posted by seatackled on February 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM · Report this
Fnarf 12
@5, "lots" surely means "more than two". Your link introduced us to two black SA police officers, sort of. There are more than two in the SPD. I don't think this case has introduced us to much, to be honest.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM · Report this
bklyn 13
Oh Charles, I think I have a new perspective on your always strange take on the stories you post - you can never leave Seattle and live in a spot where black people aren't a huge minority - then you'd have no excuse for the ridiculously large chip on your shoulder that you use to prop up your career. It's tiring. And you seem smart enough to post things without always making whitey feel bad about himself. Knock it off.
Posted by bklyn on February 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 14
People keep guns because they're afraid. But even with a gun in their hand, they're so terrified by a bump in the night that they start blasting away at things they can't see.

Fear is something that lives inside you. You can't make the fear go away by pulling out your credit card at the gun counter and buying a gadget.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on February 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM · Report this
GeneStoner 15
If you ain't afraid, you ain't paying attention Cthulu (or are just plain dumb).
Posted by GeneStoner on February 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 16
Not being rude to the other abled, but if he didn't have his legs on, how did he prop himself up to fire the gun?

Also, were the bullet trajectories at an upward angle?
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on February 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM · Report this
@9 Not being an amputee, I can't speak to how I'd feel if I didn't have my legs on. However, if I was in bed and heard someone I thought might be an intruder, having a gun in my hands would give me enough feeling of security without blasting four holes in a bathroom door.

And if I was in bed and I heard someone moving in the house, the first thing I'd do would be check the other side of the bed, to make sure it wasn't my husband.
Posted by Clayton on February 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM · Report this
gttrgst 18
Roid Rage paranoia? Will the special twinkie defense work here?
Posted by gttrgst on February 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM · Report this
I have two theories about what really happened.

1. He and the girlfriend had a fight and she ran into the bathroom to get away from the crazy guy waving a gun around.

2. He Ambien-murdered her in the waking haze of a sleep hallucination. He really did think it was a burglar. But if that's what happened, why not admit it and use that as the defence? So I'm going with theory #1.
Posted by originalcinner on February 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 20
Cities with a lot of black people tend to have a lot of black cops. Atlanta certainly comes to mind.

But even for them...the most relevant color tends to be blue.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on February 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 21
Sounds kind of like PTSD.
Posted by icouldliveinhope on February 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM · Report this
You have a good sense of humor, Charles. We'll see if anyone buys his "I thought she was an intruder" argument.
Posted by Patricia Kayden on February 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM · Report this
Backyard Bombardier 23
@16, @17: He's a below-knee amputee in both legs. He can walk without prosthetics. He's six feet tall with prosthetics, probably around five feet without them. And he's a world-class athlete who can run 200 metres in 21 seconds. Not having his walking legs on does not render him immobile, and without them he would only be marginally more vulnerable than with them.

We'll see how this all shakes out in court... but "I felt vulnerable because I didn't have my legs" does not have the ring of truth to it. I know and work with many people with disabilities, most far more severe than Pistorius. To date, none of them have shot anyone because they felt vulnerable.
Posted by Backyard Bombardier on February 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM · Report this
sirkowski 24
This is why amputees shouldn't have access to firearms.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on February 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM · Report this
seatackled 25
@17

Er, I was being sarcastic, too, by the way.
Posted by seatackled on February 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM · Report this
eclexia 26
1) Please don't call him "Blade Runner". That's sick.

2) He's lying. Why are you shocked.
Posted by eclexia on February 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Why is it sick to call him Blade Runner? That's his nickname. That's what he was called in every magazine and newspaper article and TV show about him during the Olympics. Regardless of what's happening now ... that's his nickname. Because he runs on blades.

Yes, he's probably lying.
Posted by J from Oregon on February 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM · Report this
There are lots of black cops in America. We just lower the threshold for passing scores on tests until enough qualify.
Posted by MudedeAMoronAsUsual on February 19, 2013 at 12:07 PM · Report this
eclexia 29
It's sick because that was a great movie. And it's a stupid media label hung on him to sell papers and magazines. Now that he's a public monster, it's time to use his name.

Can you think of a killer named after a work of art?

Posted by eclexia on February 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM · Report this
Another oddity: his explanation is that the door was locked so he had to break down the door to get in once he realized it was his girlfriend. Now maybe his girlfriend was one of those people who can't do their business without having the door locked even when it is not necessary, but I feel like most people who get up in the middle of the night to pee are probably not going to lock the door. Close it, yes, but not lock it. But she would definitely lock it if they were in a fight and she was scared. It's not proof of anything, of course, but it is kinda suspicious.
Posted by JenV on February 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 31
@6,

It's not so odd. Lots of people are shitty liars.
Posted by keshmeshi on February 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 32
@30,

Bloody cricket bat.

His first call after murdering his girlfriend was to his family, not the police.

There were earlier complaints/reports of abuse.

Kind of suspicious? The guy is a murderer and a (shitty) liar. The only question now is whether the South African courts are competent enough to convict the motherfucker. Given what happened with their rapist scumbag president, I'm not counting on a conviction.
Posted by keshmeshi on February 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM · Report this
If the legs don't fit, ya gotta acquit!
Posted by Johnnie Cocktrain on February 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM · Report this
"then you'd have no excuse for the ridiculously large chip on your shoulder that you use to prop up your career."

Are you kidding? Chuckles entire shtick is predicated on milking stupid, guilty, white liberals in Seattle. He wouldn't last 5 minutes around actual black people.
Posted by Ian Smith on February 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM · Report this
I can't decide who is the bigger liar. Pistorius and his "I thought she was a burglar" lie, or Scott Walker and his "my butt typed "bqhatevwr" randomly and the fact I then typed "whatever" is a total coincidence, I was not drunk" lie. Both bare-faced lying liars.
Posted by originalcinner on February 19, 2013 at 4:37 PM · Report this
NotSean 36
@30 So afraid of being caught mid-business am I, I almost always lock the bathroom door. It protects my dignity from those 'forgot to knock' types, like my toddler.
Posted by NotSean on February 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM · Report this
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 38
It's probably too late for JenV to see this, but screw it.

@ 30, people who are in the habit of locking the door will always lock the door because of habit. Time of day doesn't factor into it. Likelihood of being barged in upon doesn't, either. When someone is taught as a kid to always lock, they always lock.

Personally, I broke myself of that habit as a young adult because I once realized that if I slipped in the bathroom and cracked my head, or else were somehow to fall victim to a freak accident, I wouldn't want a locked door preventing someone from coming to give me aid, or discovering that something was wrong if they hadn't heard me fall or call out or whatever. Every second counts in situations like that.

This is all completely beside the point of whether Pistorius murdered his girlfriend, but what's an online discussion without digression?
Posted by Matt from Denver on February 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM · Report this