Wednesday, February 13, 2013

In Which Thousands of Spiders Hang from Utility Wires Over Brazilian Town

Posted by on Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Via Wired:

Cornell University arachnologist Linda Rayor and Aviles also agree that what’s probably being filmed is a massive P. bistriata colony. That species lives in South American savannas and spins colonial webs. A bit of good news is that their venom is not believed to be harmful to humans, Uetz said.

Basically, they're hunting, and they do this in large-ass groups on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure that's why I've been having the same dream for the last 467 nights in a row. Only in my dream, these plump little gobbets of terror are coming down from my bedroom ceiling and then crawling under my covers and then under my skin. And then I realize I'm actually awake and on a public transit bus. Is that normal?

Sorry, Dominic.

Will in Seattle 1
You call this a problem.

I call it art.

Just think of yourself, as the spiders descend upon your body, as enjoying a play.

Or maybe a scary movie.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM · Report this
Please just insert every possible swear word in one long run-on sentence. Then add an ear piercing scream at the end. You're welcome.
Posted by SeattleKim on February 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM · Report this
Megan Seling 3
I don't mind the occasional spider. But this? THIS IS TERRIFYING.
Posted by Megan Seling on February 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM · Report this
Fnarf 4
I submitted this last week but Dominic suppressed it.

You also need to check out the Attenborough video of these spiders hunting in packs to bring down much larger prey than themselves: http://youtu.be/iVqkJdb9JJ0
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 13, 2013 at 2:29 PM · Report this
very bad homo 5
In which AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Posted by very bad homo on February 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM · Report this
Zebes 6
This is when the Internet starts saying NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE BACON LOL BACON LOL NOPE
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on February 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM · Report this
the heathen 7
Jesus butt-fucking Christ!
Posted by the heathen on February 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM · Report this
wingedkat 8
This happened in my old garage once. Until the day I moved, I could not enter that building without swinging a broom furiously in front of me to clear out any possible webbing and dangling spiders.
Posted by wingedkat on February 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM · Report this
When I first read that I thought it said "barista colony."
Posted by laurax on February 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM · Report this
Westlake, son! 10
A mosquito free paradise! Probably no wasps either. Paradise.
Posted by Westlake, son! on February 13, 2013 at 5:11 PM · Report this
I just know that one of them will bite me and I will turn into a spider!!!!
Posted by 1TrickPony on February 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM · Report this
kim in portland 12
Just imagine them all with this voice.

Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on February 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM · Report this
I'm REALLY going to need everyone on the Internet to STOP POSTING THIS so that I can sleep. Even Ambien can't make this terror go out of my brain.
Posted by J from Oregon on February 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 14
I can't watch, won't watch. But Kim@12, I thought your link might be something besides a spider (not sure what made me think that) but I literally threw my phone and then had to let it finish because I couldn't make myself touch the screen.
Posted by mr. herriman on February 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM · Report this
delirian 15
Nuke it from orbit.
Posted by delirian on February 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM · Report this
that is AWESOME! Yeah Nature!
Posted by happy spider on February 14, 2013 at 7:00 AM · Report this
I wonder how big they are? It seems like they must be fairly large to show up on camera so well.
Posted by BallardBoy on February 14, 2013 at 2:51 PM · Report this
kim in portland 18
Sorry Mr. Herriman. I can only imagine spiders with that voice now and I laugh. I thought it would help.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on February 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this