Friday, February 8, 2013

The Stranger Says Don't Clark Around, Vote Yes for Schools

Posted by on Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Today we ran dueling op-eds supporting and opposing school funding on your ballot. But just so everyone knows, the Stranger Election Control Board is not split. We don't think the arguments for and against carry equal weight. We were not indecisive, paralyzed by the prospect to committing to a bold course of action, incapable of making up our minds. We didn't wait for Council Member Tim Burgess to make our choice. That's what we're saying—we're not being a bunch of Sally Clarks here.

The Stranger says vote yes on Prop 1 and Prop 2.

Already voted against both of them, but they'll pass. Seattle's voters are complete suckers, plus you've got all the dumb renters who actually think they don't pay property taxes.
Posted by Unbrainwashed on February 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM · Report this
God I hate Sally Clark.
Posted by I tell the Lord every night. on February 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM · Report this
@1 I'm a renter and I voted yes for schools. I believe that taxes are a good thing and I am happy to pay more for infrastructure that builds a sustainable society. If we don't have taxes, our children will grow up to be uneducated like you, and dumb people are really scary!
Posted by Minky on February 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM · Report this
I have a graduate school degree, #3. Love your use of the buzzwords, and the usual self-righteous insults at those who don't give your opinion the ol' stiff-armed salute. How very Seattle of you.
Posted by Unbrainwashed on February 8, 2013 at 3:51 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
Already voted for both. Tend to pay between $3500 and $4500 a year in property tax, as a homeowner.

My son voted for both too. Another proud graduate of Seattle Public Schools!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 6
I don't know.... I always vote for the school levies, but it seems like we always get the same thing from Seattle Public Schools - a promise that if they get new buildings, things will somehow get better. I don't buy that.

Rotten schools are because of rotten parents. (Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, let me say that it only takes a few rotten parents to ruin a school for everybody)

When they get a levy that will provide financial incentives to use birth control or get sterilized, we could actually accomplish something in public education. All these levies seem to do is provide vanity buildings and photo ops.

I guess I'll vote yes, but I'm not too thrilled about it.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM · Report this
@Unbrainwashed, I don't know what having a graduate school degree has to do this. Good for you! You're still dumb and I'm still in support of paying more taxes so that our future children won't be as dumb as you.
Posted by Minky on February 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Ballard Pimp 8
@Unbrainwashed, I see you're proud of your PhD in goatfucking from Anal Roberts University. You and Michele Bachmann get together at reunions, huh? As a homeowner, I voted for both because I like living in a civilized society.
Posted by Ballard Pimp on February 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM · Report this
By the way, #3, will you be supporting the new state initiative to extend sales taxes to rents? As a homeowner, I think taxes are a good thing and I am happy to make sure you pay just as much as I do for infrastructure that builds a sustainable society.
Posted by Unbrainwashed on February 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM · Report this
Wow, #8, you sure sound civilized to me.
Posted by Unbrainwashed on February 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM · Report this
BTW Unbrainwashed I already said that I am in full support of paying taxes. Thanks for continuing to prove my point about how dumb you are. You are just another dumb and greedy elitist.
Posted by Minky on February 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM · Report this
So #11, you'll be all in favor of that sales tax on your rent, then? Great! Pay up, sucker ... I mean, citizen!
Posted by Unbrainwashed on February 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 13
@3

Well if you like taxes so much you are welcome to pay mine for me.

In truth I wouldn't have a problem funding education if the money wasn't being spent on scandals. http://www.king5.com/news/education/Urba…

Also being as these are "educators" they should learn to make a budget and stick to it just like we lowly taxpayers do.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on February 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM · Report this
Ooooh, and now an elitist. Originally, I was "uneducated." But now that you know I'm not just educated but highly educated, you play an anti-intellectual card. And in a discussion where you pose as the supporter of education funding, no less!

Tell me, did you take a logic class at any point along the way?
Posted by Unbrainwashed on February 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM · Report this
#8, would you like some of my goat cheese? I make it home, using a special technique.
Posted by Unbrainwashed on February 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM · Report this
In my opinion, Unbrainwashed, elitist are uneducated. They pay their way through life and don't understand the full picture, which you clearly don't. It's also fun getting you riled up. @13 your link sure does prove that our entire public school system is flawed! (sarcasm) If I were to pay your taxes that wouldn't be a fair and equal society. You can take your greed elsewhere. Why do such stupid people exist?
Posted by Minky on February 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM · Report this
#16, since this is a discussion about education, you might want to review the first sentence of your post. The subject and the verb didn't agree. Maybe you consider grammar elitist?
Posted by Unbrainwashed on February 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM · Report this
Eastpike 18
We gotta pay for the schools. I look forward to when I can put my kids in public school and be proud of the fact that I voted to help pay for them. That said, when the bill comes in I am always exasperated-- Fuck, I voted this upon myself!
Posted by Eastpike on February 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 19
@16
If it is so "fair and equal" than how come I get taxed at a higher rate, that sounds neither fair nor equal to me. My wife and I both had to cut our hours back because we actually made less money for more work when be got bumped in to the next bracket?

Also if you do not think the public school system is flawed you really have no business calling anyone uneducated. The Seattle public school system has repeatedly been found to be full of waste, graft and corruption, yet they want the tax payer to pay more.

As for being "stupid" voluntary giving my money to Seattle Public Schools and receiving zero return on my investment sounds pretty fucking stupid to me.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on February 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM · Report this
#18, if and when you approach that stage, here is what will happen: You will take a close look at the Seattle schools. You'll do it because what has been theoretical will now have a definite reality. You will be scared shitless by what you see, and you'll swallow hard and you will move yourself and your kids to Shoreline or Bellevue.

This is what most of the parents who are transferred into Seattle do when they start the house hunting process. The first thing they look at is schools, and unless they've got the big bucks they wind up in the suburbs. You will too. It won't be because you're a Republican or like to play golf or something. You'll do it because you will care too much about your children to send them to Seattle's abysmal, fatally broken school system.

You might go through a lot of Sturm und Drang about it. Feelings of guilt. Grief at leaving the vibrant city neighborhood you love. On and on and on. But, in the end, you will not inflict this city's schools on your children when you can do them so much better by moving out. Trust me, you'll see.
Posted by Unbrainwashed on February 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM · Report this
I need to say there is something to be said for vanity buildings. My high school years had some heavy lows but it would have been so much worse in one of the cheap-as-possible souless school buildings Ive seen (the 70's were not a good decade for public architecture). Kids that age should have minimal soulsuck.

Sometimes a view of Commencement Bay and a big window in an alcove where I could do my homework felt like it was all that was getting me through the day.

Posted by david on February 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM · Report this
@9, what on earth are you talking about?
Posted by sarah70 on February 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM · Report this
#22, you haven't heard of the rental sales tax initiative? Where's your civic pride and love of taxes?
Posted by Unbrainwashed on February 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM · Report this
" Rotten schools" ? "You'll do it because you will care too much about your children to send them to Seattle's abysmal, fatally broken school system?"

Okay, you two, show us your proof. Seattle Schools are NOT rotten. Thousands of parents, smart parents, send their kids their and graduate them proudly. The district has seen enrollment grew (and continuing to grow) for the last 3 years. You don't grow if you aren't doing something right.

Highest SAT scores in the country ...for the 9th straight year.
Allows school communities to make adjustments to their program based on a a school-driven plan (including waivers of the teachers contract).
Top high school jazz bands... in the country (and expanding).
Noted "green" programs in our schools.
Expanding IB programs AND AP offerings AND STEM offerings.
A system of alternative schools to meet the needs of all kids.

No, everyone does NOT flee to the Eastside when they have kids. They work hard to make our schools better instead of throwing their hands up and running away.

That's how you get better schools. You invest in kids because you are investing in the future, the economy and the neighborhood and city you call home. That's why you do it.

Yes on both levies.
Posted by westello on February 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM · Report this
Mister G, why'd you change your name?
Posted by CbytheSea on February 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM · Report this
@19, your family needs a new CPA if that's the case.
Posted by CbytheSea on February 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 27
@26
Thank you, I will look in to that. We both grew up really poor so figuring out things like investing and accountants and such has been a bit of a struggle.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on February 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM · Report this
Don't worry, #24, you'll get the levies, and the schools you deserve.
Posted by Unbrainwashed on February 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM · Report this
Catherwood 29
@26 FTW. See, the higher tax ONLY APPLIES to the money earned ABOVE the bracket limit. There should be no way you pay more total tax if you earn more total dollars, the way @19 describes it.

As for the levies, there are consequences to a "no" vote, and they will be really, really ugly. Please don't do that.
Posted by Catherwood on February 9, 2013 at 5:03 PM · Report this
#29, "ugly consequences," like you and your friends losing your jobs in the public schools?
Posted by Unbrainwashed on February 10, 2013 at 12:20 AM · Report this
Unbrainwashed, it's not like you can make the schools better by defeating the levies. Schools are never improved by having their funding cut, OR by being turned over to corporate power to teach a corporate message(which is the reason "charter schools" were created, and really the only reason).

If we give up on the public schools, we end up back in the 19th Century...an era where literacy was a luxury for the few.

And just a reminder...Ayn Rand wrote FICTION. When you write fiction, you can make things come out the way you want them to come out. Therefore, ideas and their consequences as demonstrated in fiction cannot be applied to real-life situations.

Posted by AlaskanbutnotSeanParnell on August 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM · Report this