and Drunks

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Juice Fast, Day Four: I'm Still Here!

Posted by on Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Produce! Its whats for dinner.
  • ANNA MINARD
  • Produce! It's what's for dinner.
Good morning: I DIDN'T DRINK THE GIN! I just said no, like Nancy Reagan taught me. It was damn close—I was hanging out with friends, and the gin and tonics were flowing, and I mean, there's a whole song about gin and juice... but it just didn't seem worth it, and I have a lot of future gin days ahead of me.

I'd made dinner plans for this week, and when I admitted I could only drink juice because I was on a juice fast, my friend Micah said we should have a juice feast. So with a crew of friends and a lot of produce, we set out to juice. Except we didn't have a juicer, so it was more of a blend feast. And the concoctions were pretty gross. Very colorful, but gross. It was then that I started to appreciate the premade juices, strange as they sometimes are, for at least being well thought-out. For example, last night we made a "juice" with all the orange things—oranges, orange bell peppers, and carrots. Not tasty. Also, carrot chunks. (They said it was better with gin.) But it was still a rad party, and everyone tried eating raw foods. Until they gave up and made an ovenful of naan, and then they started one of those multiple-drinks-in parties where you pull out everything in the fridge for toppings—first hummus, then salami, then smoked salmon, then... I have to stop typing delicious words. I munched on bell peppers and strawberries, like a pet rabbit.

I only have two days left to go. I hate to admit it, but it's getting way easier and it really isn't freaking me out anymore. Who knew eating solid food was something you could have a willpower fight with? The only worrisome thing is that everyone I talk to says I look like a crazy person. But that's not really unusual.

Will in Seattle 1
Soon you'll be able to move to Fremont and fit right in.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM · Report this
espato 2
You need a vita-mix blender!
Posted by espato on February 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM · Report this
@2 - Or the cheap knock-off: the Montel Williams Food Emulsifier.

I love mine. I bought it from a TV informercial when I was drunk.
Posted by Kelly O on February 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM · Report this
Dougsf 4
Ask Nipper what's up, I'm pretty sure he drank nothing but juice for like 3 years.
Posted by Dougsf on February 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM · Report this
Dougsf 5
@2 - Vitamix's are bad-ass and I'd second that recommend, but I'm guessing someone that's on a juice diet because, "hey, it was free", probably isn't in the market for a $600 blender.

Also, fuck a bunch of juicers. They extract all the best bits and deliver to you natures version of vitamin water. If #3's thing actually works like it's supposed to, grab one!
Posted by Dougsf on February 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM · Report this
If you munched on, aka chewed, bell peppers and strawberries, didn't you technically break your juice fast?
Posted by MLM on February 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM · Report this
@6: Medium to no. Instructions say if I "have to eat" I should "try raw foods."
Posted by Anna Minard on February 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM · Report this
Super Jesse 8
Glad to hear it's getting easier. I went on a water fast a few years back for the entire month of February and rember the first couple of days being pretty rough. It was smooth sailing from then on with the exception of an extremely vivid borderline wet dream I had about a burrito on day 14 or so.
Posted by Super Jesse on February 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM · Report this
treacle 9
Nothing like a good multi-day fast to really put you in tune with what your innards are doing with any particular food item! Truly worthy knowledge.

Congrats at saying no to gin. Nothing like binging on alcohol when you have no solid food or protein to cushion the blow... ye gods.
Posted by treacle on February 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM · Report this
Michael of the Green 10
Since the blender just pre-chews your food for you, it frees up your excess teeth to cleanse your body and detox your chromosomes. So I hear.
Posted by Michael of the Green on February 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM · Report this
Your friends sound like really great friends, bless their hearts.
Posted by Orsh on February 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM · Report this
Dougsf 12
Also, I'd like to extend and extra congratulations for not using the word "toxins" during this entire ordeal.
Posted by Dougsf on February 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM · Report this
I usually get my juice from Whole Foods juice bar, where they make it fresh with this industrial-looking juicer. Wish I had one of those.
Posted by SonyaTMC on February 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM · Report this