Thursday, February 7, 2013

I Am a Proud Catholic

Posted by on Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I do not accept the Bible as the inspired, error-free, revealed word of God. I have never been baptized, and do not believe that the rite is necessary for salvation. And I do not believe in the Holy Trinity, nor that Jesus Christ is the son of God. Hell, I don't even believe in God.

But I am a proud Catholic nonetheless, much the same way that state Senators Rodney Tom and Tim Sheldon proclaim themselves "proud Democrats."

Just sayin'.

CodyBolt 1
can we recall them or something?
Posted by CodyBolt on February 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM · Report this
Posted by Chris Govella http://blog.chrisgovella.net on February 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM · Report this
You totally had me sold and then I got to the punchline.
Posted by floater on February 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 4
Hey Goldy,

Care for a little cheese with that whine?
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on February 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM · Report this
theophrastus 5
long ago i had an on-going discussion with someone who declared themselves to be "very liberal" and also a proud "Catholic". almost every bit of received and current Catholic dogma was rejected outright by this person. she wouldn't accept anything from Rome and would ignore the pope when-ever it suited her (which was often). So i had to ask her: given that, what's a Catholic in your mind? her emphatic proud reply: "once a Catholic, always a Catholic!"

she was even willing to accept my snide suggestion that given that there was no requirement for a set of beliefs (on her part) that it amounted to a club entered by dint of hazing alone.

since then, i've tended to view those that declare themselves as Catholic to be members of a very large fraternity. even in the females.
Posted by theophrastus on February 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM · Report this
We need more Catholics like you and less Democrats like them.
Posted by nightlifejitters on February 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 7
I don't know why anyone would want to call themselves Catholic after the latest HBO doc: Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence In The House of God. According to the Vatican, you can't criticize the church if you want to consider yourself a good Catholic - even when its priests are fucking little deaf children and even when the church spends a great amount of money and energy covering it up. They're so swept up in the belief of their own holiness that whatever they do can't be evil. That there is some real brainwashing.
Posted by Bauhaus I on February 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 8
i call myself post-catholic. because they're absurd & ridiculous, like rodney tom's democraticism.
Posted by Max Solomon on February 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM · Report this
I'm not seeing the parallel, Goldy. How are you benefiting from your fake Catholicism?
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on February 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM · Report this
Thanks Goldstein, but we already know that you are a liar.

Posted by What kind of 'journalist" doesnt use his real name on February 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 11
Uh, folks, it's only an analogy, and has nothing to do w/ Catholicism. The real topic is Tim Sheldon & Rodney Tom.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on February 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM · Report this
Let's put it this way: if politics was more like prison, Shelton and Tom would have been shanked weeks ago.

Instead you have to suck it up while the traitorous pieces of garbage laugh in your face. Who's more civilized?
Posted by Cheaters Always Win on February 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM · Report this
I think there's the kernel of an idea here. We recruit a bunch of "suddenly enlightened" Tea Party members to run for Congress in 2014, they are Opus Dei Catholics or evangelicals or even Likudniks depending on the district (Goldy knows damn well which one he gets to play). We get them all elected in safe Republican districts and then, before the next Congress meets, they all declare themselves to be caucusing with the Democrats and establish voting records that would make Jim McDermott blush. Think what we could accomplish in the last two years of Obama's term.
Posted by Breadbaker on February 7, 2013 at 10:07 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 14
Don't look at me. I got it the first time around. But for the record, I consider myself a "Cultural Catholic" (I got that from our dear Dan. I try to never have an original thought)

Once in, never out. Just like the Mafia.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM · Report this
Tacoma Traveler 15
I am a proud atheist.
Posted by Tacoma Traveler on February 8, 2013 at 5:03 AM · Report this
Upon reading that Goldy is a proud Catholic, the Pope quit.
Posted by Moderate Man on February 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM · Report this