Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"My team found Kathryn Ann Blair during the One Night Count"

Posted by on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Seattle City Council president Sally Clark recounts her experience this year with Seattle's annual overnight homeless count:

I participated in the annual One Night Count of unsheltered people in King County in the early morning hours of Jan. 25. Hundreds of volunteers participate each year to count and witness. Each year I’ve done the Count I’ve been dispatched with other volunteers to city streets, green spaces, parks and under-passes.

Never had my team or any One Night Count team encountered a dead body. Until this year.

...A couple of days after the Count we learned more from the Medical Examiner. “The Body,” as we had called it, was a 60-year old woman named Kathryn Ann Blair and she died of hypothermia. In the cloverleaf petal of an interstate off-ramp. In February. In Seattle.

It is a hard, good read. Please give it your time.

I'd read it if it were by anyone except Sally Clark.
Posted by Mason on February 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM · Report this
wingedkat 2
The eulogy was painfully sad.
Posted by wingedkat on February 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM · Report this
Oh, man, that hits. Thanks for linking to it, Cienna. RIP Ms. Blair.
Posted by gloomy gus on February 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 4
Never forget that, in addition to this, Sally Clark is why we have KEXP, Chihulhy, and (once they fund it) a playground where the old Fun Forest used to be.

Not that she'd admit it.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM · Report this
Hawke 5
Sally Clark is one of the rare breed. A politician who really truly cares, not because it is politically expedient, but because she is a decent human being who happens to be City Council president.
Posted by Hawke http://facebook.com/thehawke on February 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 6
I want to feel sad, but I can't. Homeless people don't belong in the most expensive real estate areas of the country. Find some place in Inland Washington and move the social services there and provide shelter for a fraction of urban costs.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on February 6, 2013 at 8:24 PM · Report this
I want to feel like Supreme Ruler of The Universe isn't an insensitive, entitled idiot, but I can't.
Posted by earwig on February 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM · Report this