Tuesday, February 5, 2013

In Which Rob! Speaks For Us All

Posted by on Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Gold Star Comment of the Day goes to Rob! on the post about Cienna's shameful failure to maintain a liquid diet for even one single day. Rob! goes off-topic to note the happy reappearance of some beloved Slog commenters:

Click to enlarge.
  • Click to enlarge.

I agree with Rob! The quality of Slog comments is always very high when compared to other blogs, but I've noticed an increase in the thoughtfulness and all-around engagement of comments over the last couple of weeks. So welcome back to Allyn, caralain, and undead ayn rand, and thank you to everyone else for the great conversation. Now, please enjoy Steve Martin playing "Dueling Banjos" with the Muppets:

emma's bee 1
Oh goodie, can we reminisce about sloggers we miss? Uriel-238 was always entertaining and thought-provoking, although he seemed to lead a...complicated life. Anyone know if he's doing OK?
Posted by emma's bee on February 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM · Report this
Fnarf 2
Not too much SeMe, Original Monique, elenchos, joh, Aislinn, or w7ngman action these days. Where's kim in portland? In-frequent? Jude Fawley? Despicable me? Donolectic? An indelicate gesture?

I will regret mentioning Mr. Poe or Jubilation T. Cornball, I'm sure.

RIP Elswinger. We remember you.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM · Report this
ditto RIP Elswinger.

Adding to list of those missed: Big Sven and Annie Wagner.
Posted by gnossos on February 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 4
And Bacon Cat...
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on February 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM · Report this
Napoleon XIV (who seems to have declined to make the transition to registered comments) cracked me up repeatedly & was perhaps the funniest of all the old-time commenters.
Posted by Pierrot Lunaire on February 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM · Report this
Lissa 6
I was happy to Venomlash resurface as well. I miss Canuck.
Posted by Lissa on February 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM · Report this
Rotten666 7
No one will ever beat Mr. Poe.
Posted by Rotten666 on February 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM · Report this
Canuuuuck! How Matt in Denver used to fume and fuss at us. Happy days. @7, that motherfucker was a true artist of bile.
Posted by gloomy gus on February 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 9
RIP elswinger.

I also miss Big Sven. And Mr. Poe... He was something alright.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on February 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM · Report this
skidmark 10
I miss the folks from the old forums.thestranger.com. The dopamine levels in my brain level off a bit when ever I see the all too rare post from one of them over here.
Ballard Pimp, Meat Weapon and Carnivorous Chicken, thanks for putting out, every one else can just walk home.
Posted by skidmark on February 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM · Report this
blip 11
Pretty sure I've seen Big Sven commenting in recent months. Or at least someone using that screen name, which is possible since most of his activity on Slog predated user registration.

I always assumed Mr. Poe graduated high school and moved on with his life.
Posted by blip on February 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM · Report this
dirac 12
Yeah, but where's Kitten Koder?
Posted by dirac on February 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM · Report this
@11 I saw Sven pop up in one of the gun threads (pardon) and once or twice elsewhere, but not like the old days.

@12 ack! Now there was a piece of work!
Posted by gnossos on February 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM · Report this
My first reaction to Paul's post was "what's he talking about? We SLOG commenters say a lot of stupid shit." But then I remembered pretty much every other general-audience (as opposed to narrowly specialized) blogvillage I've lingered around and thought "yeah, at least in comparison, we do ok."
Posted by Eric from Boulder on February 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 15
I feel elswinger has been rebirthed in Pope Peabrain. They seem to have the same tone in commenting. Has Jonah Spabnathal-lee found a new slogging fantasy footballer?
Posted by dnt trust me on February 5, 2013 at 8:01 PM · Report this
rob! 16
Whenever anybody references an old post with a link, I always like to nose around a little, forward or back, if time allows.

It's kind of shocking how many posts I remember.

I wish it were easier to explore the gigantic tailings pile by date. As soon as you start going backwards, the pages are numbered but I haven't discovered a way to jump to a specific time period. And the filing system seems to have changed a number of times. A "random older post" button would be kind of cool.

Anyway, I'm fond of this place and the people it brings.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on February 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM · Report this
scary tyler moore 17
@11, poe is still around, entertaining us on Facebook. he lives in new york and is STILL stalking older men.
Posted by scary tyler moore http://pushymcshove.blogspot.com/ on February 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM · Report this
I don't comment that much as I feel like I don't have much to add, but you all feel like family in some fucked up way. Maybe in a second or third cousins sort of way. And now I'm a little verklempt. Catalina Vel Duray (sp?) in particular makes me feel all warm inside. I've been reading slog for years and it's always weird to run into a traveling Seattleite either visiting here in Salt Lake or when I'm traveling myself, because I know their local politics and weather sometimes better than they do.
Posted by katallred on February 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM · Report this
Hernandez 19
Sven is still around here and there, but there a lot of folks who aren't around anymore, or at least don't comment anymore. Personally, I'm thankful for every one one of you (including the Stranger staff), especially those I've had the privilege of making friends with in person.

God, remember that Ladies and Gentlemen of Slog calendar we did a number of years back? (That's where Fnarf's current profile pic comes from, by the way.)

Online and off, Slog has been a great source of fun and mischief in my life over the years.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on February 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM · Report this
Original Andrew 20
I miss Freaky Fridays, though it's totally understandable if they're a bit apprehensive about trying one of those again.

And I can't even remember the last time somebody told me to go fuck myself--clearly I've been way too reasonable lately.
Posted by Original Andrew on February 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM · Report this
I wouldn't go so far as to call y'all friends and family (that's too much), but I guess it'd be fair to describe you as cyberacquaintances. It does feel, strangely, like a sort of digital community, full of anonymous digital people who only exist as tiny avatars and short, unique opinions. The more you read Slog, the more involved you get with the Sloggers and the writers, the more it starts to feel like an ongoing sitcom with familiar, quirky characters - and I'm one of them now. Or as long as I decide to be.

But I do enjoy the wide variation of personality, opinion, and background that you find here. Off the top of my head, we have Sloggers from Canada, Australia, England, Sweden, Louisiana, Chicago, New York, Denver, Portland, the Bay Area, and Texas, in addition to the locals. Of course, I'm missing a bunch of other people. And they're frequent readers, because they always pop up to make a relevant comment. It's kind of cool. And there's always someone who knows a lot about any given topic and is willing to share in an eloquent fashion. Since the election, a lot of one-note Red State haters have joined in just to spray their vile, but I guess that's what comes with success. It almost makes you long for the gentlemanly opposition of contrarian Sloggers like the departed Gay Dude for Romney.

And what about Seattle Blues? You could always rely on him to come out of the woodwork to spout his homophobia whenever there was a post on gay rights. Then gay marriage won and we haven't heard from him since (good riddance).

I do like the ........., first-person plural, "Danny" troll. Turns out he's/she's been around for a long time. Don't expect me to come out in the flesh to any Slog event, though. I appreciate the comfortable safety of my digital anonymity.
More...
Posted by floater on February 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM · Report this
seandr 22
I'm always comment-crushing on the awesome women that find their way to SLOG. Probably a few men, too.

I miss Irena, Gloria, Canuck, and catballou.
Posted by seandr on February 5, 2013 at 11:41 PM · Report this
care bear 23
I've been wondering about Canuck for ages!
Posted by care bear on February 6, 2013 at 6:01 AM · Report this
I miss Canuck.
Posted by Bugnroolet on February 6, 2013 at 6:51 AM · Report this
Allyn 25
Man, I've missed so much. Irena and catballou are mia? Bummer.

Posted by Allyn on February 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 26
Haven't seen "I'm 85 Years Old" in a while.

I fear the worst.
Posted by Sir Vic on February 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM · Report this
Aislinn 27
Awwwwww. Memories. I gave up on posting due to a) getting a better job where I actually have to work during the day and b) not handling anonymous cruelty very well, but I still count a number of Sloggers/ex-Sloggers as friends, and nearly five years later I'm still with w7ngman. So thanks, Slog, for giving me the best thing to ever happen to me.
Posted by Aislinn on February 7, 2013 at 12:44 AM · Report this
rob! 28
Aislinn, I was just getting my feet wet here when you were wrapping up, so I'm nostalgic about you along with the others Fnarf mentioned. Good of you to pop back in.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on February 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM · Report this