and Drunks

Monday, February 4, 2013

What Do You Think of Neil Gaiman's Blackberry Ad Campaign?

Posted by on Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Gaiman1.png

Is this sort of thing just normal now? Neil Gaiman is doing a crowd-sourced ad campaign for BlackBerry. here's a video explaining the whole thing:

Bleeding Cool has a promotional quote that is probably the most inelegant thing to ever be attributed to Gaiman:

This project is a terrific way to explore all of those relationships, using the BlackBerry Z10 and the BlackBerry Keep Moving Hub to find out how technology and community interaction can inspire the artistic process, and elevate the work itself to another level.

Today, Gaiman has been tweeting out month-related questions to his fans. Things like, "What is the weirdest gift you've ever been given in May?" And so on. He will then choose one of his fan's answers and write a story about it, and then he will choose his favorite fan-created artwork to illustrate the story, which will then be turned into a (presumably BlackBerry-branded) calendar. I had to unfollow Gaiman, because I was sick of all the (unofficial) sponsored tweets clogging up my timeline. But apparently, I'm the only one who's tired of this: Just about all of the months have climbed to the top of Twitter's trending topics lists. What do you think?

Fnarf 1
I'm just loving all the publicity I've heard so far featuring adorable Canadians saying "zed ten".
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 2
Isn't Blackberry the business phone? This seems a little artsy for the target audience. They need to put out some straight-up feature ads.
Posted by Free Lunch on February 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM · Report this
It's okay, he's tweeting from his IPhone.
Posted by Chili on February 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 4
@2: They've had their corporate support wither as Bring Your Own Device policies shifted the corporate devices to what the consumers actually use, enterprise support for iDevices and Android phones has been comparable. I'd mention Windows phones, but I'm still annoyed with all theie stupid exclusive deals.
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM · Report this
They still make Blackberrys? Well, Neil Gaiman always has been a friend of anachronisms.
Posted by Prettybetsy on February 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM · Report this
Amanda Fucking Palmer. This is what its come to?
Posted by jnonymous on February 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM · Report this
I feel petty for saying it, but if this was a Kickstarter thing or just a "Y'know, I think this would be cool if I..." I'd be fascinated.

So why bother with the sponsor and just do this thing that could be amazing?
Posted by Chris B http://eccentric-orbit.org on February 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM · Report this
LEE. 8
I'm not holding Gaiman up to any standards. he peaked 15-20 years ago. if he wants to make money doing stupid shit now, it's not going to lesson re-reading Sandman or American Gods.
Posted by LEE. on February 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 9
I don't care about Gaiman, but the Z10 is breaking all kinds of sales records in the few places it's available. It looks like you're going to be hearing a lot more about this phone in the coming months. (Me, I'll wait for the Q10, with the keyboard.)
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on February 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 10
@7: "And Gaiman just posted to his blog about it and talks about how it's building a community and the sharing and it's brilliant and inspiring and scary. And it's all sponsored by Blackberry. And though the money from the final project is going to a charity, it's sponsored by Blackberry, which Gaiman takes pains to point out you don't need to take part in it."

I wonder if he's still a part of the yearly "L Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future Award".
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 11
"Z10 is breaking all kinds of sales records in the few places it's available. It looks like you're going to be hearing a lot more about this phone in the coming months."

Breaking sales records in what, Waterloo, and among existing Blackberry customers? Whoooooooo doggies!
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 12
No, in England, among primarily Apple users, since you mention it.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on February 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 13
@12: Eh, I do want RIM/Blackberry to exist as a WP/Apple/Android competitor, but the only story I can find on this is that there's a limited UK release, and some of those locations have been sold out. Perhaps record-breaking for BB as of late, but we'll see if the demand can be maintained when it's actually released.
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM · Report this
I'll wait for the Q10, too. Thanks to BB for continuing with a user-replaceable batt--you can pop in a fresh one when needed, and you don't have to pass through an Apple toll booth to do so.
Posted by Toe Tag on February 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM · Report this
It makes me sad that Neil, like Blackberry, is not longer relevant.

I hope that Blackberry is paying him well, since he hasn't written anything in this decade.
Posted by catballou on February 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM · Report this
@Catballou- if by decade you mean the past 10 years, he won the Newbery in 2008 with The Graveyard Book. Not a shabby accomplishment.
Posted by GregorSamosa on February 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM · Report this
If it were somebody else, I'd be skeptical. But Neil Gaiman seems to have the integrity to do what he says he is going to do, regardless of the sponsorship.

From RIM's standpoint, this is brilliant. The get a spokesperson who is very trusted by his fans, a new project associated with their new device, and a boatload of geeks and other technically savvy folks suddenly interested in something RIM is doing (and that is something that has not happened much over the past 6-8 years).
Posted by NG Fan on February 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM · Report this
I don't think much of it, especially the fact that they're claiming some portion is going to charity...but WHAT charity? Whenever I see something like that, but no legit charity is attached, it sets off alarm bells. That is not how you organise a charitable donation!
Posted by blublub on February 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM · Report this