and Drunks

Sunday, February 3, 2013

President Obama Says the Boy Scouts Should Be Open to Gay Members and Leaders

Posted by on Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM

My favorite part of this pre-Super Bowl interview...

...is how President Obama just answers the question with an unequivocal "yes." And then he just stops and waits for the next question. Because why should he even have to explain why he supports allowing gay members in the Boy Scouts? It's a foregone conclusion, isn't it? His interviewer then pushes for an explanation, but the explanation is unnecessary. President Obama supports it, obviously, because it's the right thing to do. This is a great moment for America to watch just before a Super Bowl that has been marred by some ignorant, homophobic bullshit.

Posted by tim koch on February 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM · Report this
Olo 2
Wake me when they admit atheists.
Posted by Olo on February 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM · Report this
watchout5 3
You are not a journalist if you're prying into why Obama doesn't hate gay people, you're just an asshole with an agenda who's too fucking thick to understand it's the 21st century. This is a really great clip about why nothing will ever get better in this country, because we're so obsessed with how people care for other people that we forget that caring for other people is the only thing that actually matters.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on February 3, 2013 at 3:27 PM · Report this
doloresdaphne 4
Couldn't Obama have just said;
"because Gay men are people, and to discriminate against against them would reduce the quality of leadership in the Boy Scouts, because we'd have fewer quality leaders to choose from."
Posted by doloresdaphne on February 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM · Report this
paul: gay marriage should be a national civil right and prez barry is moving not on any of that. ok. and he should get national gay marriage passed in a way that tells the bigot supreme court fu too. what the fuck is this guy waiting for anyway like 60% of america supports gay marriage it shouldn't even be an issue anymore now. stop fucking around mr prez we got other shit to do now wtf.
Posted by tim koch on February 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM · Report this
i mean, im cool with what he said about the boy scouts i wasn't saying that. he should just do other shit too is what im saying.
Posted by tim koch on February 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 7
Puppy Bowl is going well. And so will the Scouts once people accept it's the 21st Century.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM · Report this
pfffter 8
@5,6 ohmigod you're an idiot.

Great clip and good post, Paul. Thanks.
Posted by pfffter on February 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM · Report this
8: whatever get your own blog dippy. i don't talk to you.
Posted by tim koch on February 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM · Report this
@2: Boy scouts were invented in Britain. Britain is changing their tune to admit atheists (or at least, take God out of the oath).
Posted by originalcinner on February 3, 2013 at 5:00 PM · Report this
Of course the next step is to allow men to be Girl Scout scoutmasters and take teenaged girl scouts camping.

Right?

Posted by Amirite? on February 3, 2013 at 5:13 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 12
Oh Thank God, the troll is here. I always worry that his sleep apnea machine might malfunction, because he simply can NOT distinguish between tap water and distilled water.

And his point is, as usual, so "right-on": After all, look at the thousands of Boy Scout den mothers who molested boys through the decades. I can totally understand how the Girl Scouts of America might be taken in by his Highly Theoretical Concept of this new wave of male Girl Scout Leaders......

Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM · Report this
Tacoma Traveler 13
Sports culture in the US has been homophobic for a very long time. The most terrifying time of day for many a gay schoolkid is PE. Since most gyms are packed to the walls with gay men, I assure you that this has nothing to do with any inherent laziness on our parts.

I deliberately chose a college without any frats nor sororities, and one that didn't take sports seriously. I wanted an education, where I would learn something useful rather than getting hazed by some asshole jock whose only a decade away from concussive brain injury that will someday make his brain look like dessicated fruit. Matthew Sheppard would be murdered at the same time that I was attending the first quarter of my freshman year. That only reaffirmed my decision to stay as far away from sports culture as possible.

In my adult life, i've learnt to to expect insults and harassment whenever I see a guy in a "sporty" track suit whose obviously not worked out since graduation. Or a guy in a football jersey that weighs the same as he did when he stopped working out, even if the distribution of mass over his body has been somewhat altered by years of watching other people being active whilst reminiscing those gory glory days long time gone.

Which is why i don't want to pay money just so the Sonics can have a stadium or watch the Superbowl, and its why I get so bored when you start talking excitedly about hockey or baseball or whatever. I saw what you did to Glenn Burke. I know why Billy Bean had to hide it until long after he was out of the game. And I remember every time you called me faggot in High School. Fuck you and your sports.

The only professional sport I follow is chess. Garry Kasparov is a hero to me the way LeBron James is to you. Except that my hero tried to free his country from a tyrant after he retired from the sport, and yours will only go on to sell potato chips and car rentals.

The BSA is a part of that whole shared myth thing Leo Strauss wrote about and underlies the sports teams you admire. Restrictions on membership are based in a fear of Classical Liberalism, an uneasiness with the idea of individuals pursuing their own personal happiness at the perceived expense of society as a group. Its why I'm still unwelcome at many churches, mosques and synagogues. Its why I had to call people up and beg them to vote yes on R74 rather than rely on people to inherently understand that I am as human as you are.

Ad its why i don't want to join your games. To quote Groucho Marx, I would never belong to any club that would have me as a member.
More...
Posted by Tacoma Traveler on February 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM · Report this

Just what we mean, right?

How is a homosexual scoutmaster taking teenage boys (some of whom are gay) camping any different from a heterosexual man taking teenage girls camping?

What could possibly go wrong?
Posted by BraveNewPervertedWorld on February 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM · Report this
penn state. as soon as that went down i said it went all the way to the state and federal level. that was a big big, basically political, scandal. penn state should not be allowed to even be a school anymore, let alone have a football program. that was a 10+ year cover-up. now its all coming out that the school president was involved too, im sure the school regulators knew on some level, but did nothing. same as with the boy scouts and catholic church.

Posted by tim koch on February 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM · Report this
well that was a disturbing read. and keep my kids away from those creepy boy scout motherfuckers for real btw:

"In the 1970s and '80s, secrecy was embedded in the Scouts' policies and procedures for handling child sexual abuse..."

"A cover sheet that accompanied many confidential files included a check box labeled "Internal (only scouts know)" as an option for how cases were resolved.

"That letter was included in the organization's 1972 policy on how to remove unfit leaders, which, according to an attached memo, was kept confidential "because of misunderstandings which could develop if it were widely distributed."

Posted by tim koch on February 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM · Report this
and then i just read in the new york times that they historically have blamed their molester problems when they crop up on "homosexual" people. child molesters are not gay people, they are 2 completely different things. and why has one bad group been allowed in and sometimes enabled, while the other not bad group is systematically and completely excluded? it should be the other way around in this case i would hope. wth.
Posted by tim koch on February 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 18
Here's the thing, troll dear: The Girl Scouts have always faced reality and put safeguards in place to protect their scouts. Plus, they have changed with the times.

The Boy Scouts depended on the same old Granpaw-thought-this-was-good-enuf-so-i-likes-it mentality as the NRA with their folksy schmaltz. Both were ran by rubes, and both were taken over by the same sort of sociopaths that control the Catholic Church.

Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM · Report this
if that was for me just call me dear please unless i am being truly stupid which i don't think i was being. at least not intentionally. they all (including penn state) seem to be following the exact same catholic church old time LLC policy to me. thats the thing there. are you mad because of the quotes? its in the article i am quoting it. so i put quotes on it. and dan already knows my whole life story, i don't need to troll you people. but i am a shitty typer though. excuse that.
Posted by tim koch on February 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM · Report this
Looks like the Ravens' locker room may be quite welcoming to all people compared to the 49ers.

Posted by cracked on February 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 21
Tim dearest, I meant that for the troll. You are registered, thus you are not the troll.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM · Report this
ignore me if you see me yell at them i still love them all even when i get mad at them. i don't care.
Posted by tim koch on February 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 23
Then the Boy Scouts should also be open to heterosexual members and leaders...as in females...as in they should merge the Boy and Girl Scouts for that both homosexual and heterosexual interaction is seen. They have Boys and Girls Clubs..why not same for Scouting?
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on February 3, 2013 at 9:20 PM · Report this
Christampa 24
Because they're separate organizations, you unceasing twit.
Posted by Christampa on February 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 25
11&14, Um, men are allowed to be leaders in the Girl Scouts.
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on February 4, 2013 at 5:38 AM · Report this
@25 is correct. Girl Scouts absolutely allows men to be troop leaders and hold other leadership positions.
Posted by katallred on February 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM · Report this
Girl Scouts also does not bar atheists or LGBT folks from participating.
Posted by katallred on February 4, 2013 at 8:20 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 28
To be fair, Boy Scouts allow women as Den Mothers. They're probably the only voice of sanity left in that organization. I would be all for their "let the troops decide for themselves" approach if I thought that the national eadership would be supporting of a more inclusive organization, and would push the various councils in the right direction. But I think it's just to cover their butts and save some contributions.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on February 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM · Report this