Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Jackboots Are Closer to Salmon Than Pink But I See Your Point—No, Wait. You're Nuts.

Posted by on Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM

RightWingWatch:

Pastor Scott Lively has republished a column warning that “the First Amendment is under siege” by the gay rights movement which seeks “to crush [civil rights] under the heels of its pink jackboots.” Lively, best known for his work promoting Uganda’s Anti-Homosexuality Bill, said that the Constitution is the only document "still standing as a barrier to the homosexual agenda” and that “true human rights will be finished in America (and by extension the rest of the western world)” if “the First Amendment falls to the ‘gays.’”

"True human rights," Lively writes, "spring from and epitomize the biblical world view."

Someone with a truly biblical worldview, of course, takes a favorable view of slavery, murdering your disobedient children, selling your spare daughters into slavery, stoning your non-virgin girls to death on their wedding nights, and on and on. Okay, now let's try to make sense of this:

Moreover, this "right to sodomy" actually undermines true human rights, as exemplified by the collapse of the Magna Charta in the United Kingdom. The first principle of that venerable human rights document declares that "The English Church shall be free." This principle, established in the bedrock of British jurisprudence in 1215, stood unshakable for nearly 800 years until the rise of the "gay" movement which has in just the past decade achieved the power to redefine religious liberty as "homophobia" and to crush it under the heels of its pink jackboots.

No one is attempting to "redefine religious liberty" as "homophobia." Some religious people are homophobic, and some homophobes justify their bigotry with religion, but not all religious people are homophobes. Haters like Lively and Tony Perkins and Peter LaBarbera have attempted to make "Christian" and "homophobe" synonymous, of course, while gay people take pains to make a distinction between Christians and rightwing assholes like Lively who use Christianity as a cover for their bigotry.

And equality under the law for LGBT people isn't going to interfere with the "religious liberty" of rightwing Christian bigots like Lively. Unless you define "religious liberty" as the right to impose your own religious beliefs on others—which is exactly how Lively defines it—equality for LGBT citizens will in no way interfere with a bigot's "religious liberty."

So you won't be dragged to any legal gay weddings in chains, Scott, we promise.

There are plenty of churches out there that will marry same-sex couples. Lively doesn't want those same-sex marriages recognized because his church disapproves. Lively believes that "religious freedom" means the freedom to impose his religious beliefs on all. If anyone is interfering with the free exercise of religion around here it's Lively.

seandr 1
The willful failure of these people to comprehend what freedom of religion really means, along with the founder's intentions in penning that into the constitution, is beyond idiotic.

What if the Mormons decided that their God has ordered them to murder Christians? Would Christians be violating the Mormon's freedom of religion by fleeing or defending themselves from slaughter? Do things like this not even occur to these people? What is wrong with their brains?
Posted by seandr on January 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM · Report this
Pick1 2
So you won't be dragged to any legal gay weddings in chains, Scott, we promise.

Dammit! Then what the Hell am I supposed to do with all these manacles the homosexual lobby asked me to pick up?
Posted by Pick1 on January 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM · Report this
Ophian 3
@1, I'm not sure what the psych diagnosis is, but there does seem to be a total blind spot for the Right Wing Authoritarian types. They seem to have an actual inability to put themselves in someone else's shoes, or to look at their own reasoning from the other side.

Like the legislators in Louisiana who voted for tax dollars to fund Christian schools, and then realized the same would have to apply to Muslim schools. They were actually surprised that this would be the case. It is an illness.

Posted by Ophian on January 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM · Report this
treacle 4
Talk about whiny victimhood... holy fuck.. .these outspoken religious Christian types sure bang the "we're being oppressed" gong louder than ever.
Posted by treacle on January 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM · Report this
Yep, freedom means other people or in this case other churches are free to do stuff you don't like, such as perform wedding ceremonies for same-sex couples.

And is it just me or did this supergenius spell "Magna Carta" wrong? (checks) Nope, just a variation. Darn, that would've been fun.
Posted by DRF on January 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM · Report this
Womyn2me 6
Damnit. Now I want some pink jackboots.

Thank the non-existant gods for Doc Marten

Posted by Womyn2me http://http:\\www.shelleyandlaura.com on January 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM · Report this
Trying to "make sense of"/decode/unwind the tortured and abused language people like that employ to turn the sky green and the grass blue is a waste of time.

Up is not down. In is not out. Being lectured at by an asshole like Lively is not participating in communication of ideas.

The only important thing to make of this is that Lively's opinion is outside the realm of God's Love and Christ's teachings. As a Quaker, I must respect that, like everyone else on the planet, our teachings tell us that we're all carrying a speck of God's Light within us, so he must have one, too.

But, if he's not going to use it, he should give it back.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on January 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM · Report this
I'm thinking of going old school and opening up a temple to Jupiter at Safeco field. On his most holy feast days (say, when the Angels are in town), I'd like to round up as many Christians as I can get my hands on and make them happy martyrs out in center field in front of the bleachers.

It's a good thing I have the first amendment on my side, protecting my God, I mean Jupiter, given religious freedoms.
Posted by Westside forever on January 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM · Report this
The Magna Charta collapsed? Oh, wow! Was anybody hurt?
Posted by RonK, Seattle on January 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 10
"The English Church" of 1215 was the Roman church. Henry VIII fixed that for you, not teh gehs.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on January 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM · Report this
I think it may be time to jump on the Fred Clark Bandwagon: Whenever Perkins is mentioned, he should be referred to with his formal name: The Liar Tony Perkins.
Posted by JustOnceNoTrouble on January 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM · Report this
COMTE 12
@3:

I'm not sure it's an "inability" so much as a flat-out refusal to put themselves in someone else's shoes. From their perspective, they believe not only in the obvious "rightness" of their position, but that it's been divinely handed down to them, so there's simply no point in looking at the argument from another position, which, by their circular reasoning, is automatically wrong.
Posted by COMTE on January 22, 2013 at 12:11 PM · Report this
smajor82 13
It's probably a complete waste of time to respond to nonsense like this. Scott Lively is a Troll.
Posted by smajor82 on January 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM · Report this
How come the worst homophobes have gay sounding names like Scott Lively?
Posted by wl on January 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM · Report this
rob! 15
@2, I'll be right over.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on January 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 16
It's people like Lively that are driving others away from religion. So, keep it up, Lively! Oh, and btw, men who say that shit are hiding something.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM · Report this
"While gay people take pains to make a distinction between Christians and rightwing assholes like Lively who use Christianity as a cover for their bigotry."

Gay people may make a distinction but atheists do not. The bible makes it clear how christians feel, and I will not cut any of them a bit of slack until they renounce it.

If I wrote a book as full of evil as the bible and told people I lived my life by it they would lock me in a padded cell.
Posted by Kylere on January 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM · Report this
kamsbry 18
Now I really want a pair of pink jackboots. I love how it really confuses some people that I am a straight man and occasionally wear pink. When I broke my arm this year and had a pink cast for 6 weeks it caused at least a few people to call me "brave". WTF?

Also, Dan should totally lead a gay, pink uniformed army whose sole purpose it is to fill the pews of gay weddings with unwilling attendants. That would be so fucking entertaining.
Posted by kamsbry on January 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM · Report this
JensR 19
@17 hello <--- atheist who DO make a distinction between "personal belief" and "rightwing asshole trying to force his beliefs down all our throats".
Posted by JensR http://ohyran.se on January 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM · Report this
pastanaut 20
Dear Christian Right,

Don't worry. No one is trying to take away your legal right to be hateful and bitter. Seriously. Other people being happy does not infringe on your right to believe stupid things.

Love,
Pastanaut
Posted by pastanaut on January 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM · Report this
Sea Otter 21
@1 They're stuck in a pre-enlightenment view of morality (basically, viewing morality as absolute and arbitrarily dictated "by God" through whatever authority figure); that's why they can interpret "freedom of religion" to mean "freedom to tell everyone else what to do" without their heads exploding from the cognitive dissonance. It's no wonder people like Santorum claim that colleges are out to destroy the church. Conservative churches are about 400 years behind the secular intellectual tradition, and they'd like to keep it that way.
Posted by Sea Otter on January 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM · Report this
kim in portland 22
Once again I am thankful for god-bothering individuals, because they provide the greatest testimony for separation of church and state.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on January 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM · Report this
Bonefish 23
These wimps could use some real political oppression in their lives, to give them some perspective.

In the meantime they just sound like a spoiled 10-year-old crying that he's "oppressed" because his mommy is making him cut the crust off his OWN damn sandwich.
Posted by Bonefish http://5bmisc.blogspot.com/ on January 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM · Report this
@17: Lenin, Stalin, and Mao made it clear how atheists feel, and I will not cut any of those genocidal tyrant wannabes a bit of slack until they renounce it.

Seriously, grow up, if you're going to start talking shit about the bible learn some history and put it into context, and stop being such a drama queen about issues you've invented. Yes, fiction written circa 1500 BC has characters who are slaves. What were you expecting, airplanes and telephones? And while I was being over the top in my first paragraph, the reality is that the human rights record of atheism over the last 100 years is horrific, so you might want to throw fewer stones around your glass house.

@21: You either didn't notice or just didn't care, but #17 makes it very clear that he's an atheist who interprets "freedom of religion" as "freedom to tell everyone else what to do." But he's one of you, so that's OK, I guess.

The (sad) reality is that trying to tell everyone else what to do is pretty normal human behavior and doesn't, in general, have anything much to do with religious or self-proclaimed "non-religious" identity.
Posted by Old Crow on January 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM · Report this
Sea Otter 25
@24 I'm about as hardcore an atheist as they come, and I don't paint all religious people with the same brush, nor do I think religion is inherently evil or useless.

No, I did not see @17's comment, but now that I've read it: I read it as saying that the Bible is ridiculous and people who believe in it deserve unrelenting criticism. But criticizing someone for their beliefs/actions is NOT the same as thinking you have a right to dictate how they live their lives. Right wing Christians don't just want the freedom to criticize gay people/whoever else they disapprove of, they want the power to turn their disapproval into legislation. So while I don't necessarily share 17's views (I don't go around telling people I think the Bible is stupid, e.g.), I think you're wrong that he or she is cut from the same cloth as Scott Lively. And, regardless of that, your implication that I'm some kind of hypocrite for failing to respond to 17 is irritating.

N.B. There are atheists out there who are hypocritical that way; you only have to look as far as your typical campus skeptics organization to find them. I find these people even more obnoxious than the likes of Scott Lively, because they're making atheists in general look bad.
Posted by Sea Otter on January 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM · Report this
Sea Otter 26
Oh, and @17, you don't speak for all atheists. I do happen to think that there's a difference between reasonable religious people and fundamentalist crazies.
Posted by Sea Otter on January 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM · Report this
And here I thought that his point was that "religious liberty" means "the church can say any damn thing it wants, right up to and including saying that we should kill everyone who's a sinner".
Posted by gromm on January 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM · Report this
@24, that first line is a load of crap. Lenin, Stalin, and Mao were both atheists and genocidal tyrants, but the two were unrelated. Unlike, say, the Crusades--in which the fighting was explicitly in the name of religion--these three guys did not commit their atrocities in the name of atheism.

I get so damn tired of that argument.
Posted by clashfan on January 22, 2013 at 7:41 PM · Report this
saxfanatic 29
Why the Hell didn't anyone tell me about my "right to sodomy"? The way I see it, I'm owed years of back sodomy.
Posted by saxfanatic on January 22, 2013 at 7:44 PM · Report this
Reverend Tap 30
@28, the Crusades had more to do with preventing the large number of knights around at the time without a war to fight from tearing Western Europe apart fighting over bits of land here and there for petty lords and generally terrorizing the populace (knights, in general, weren't shining examples of chivalric heroism), as well as securing greater political power for the major players of the day (only some of whom were church officials), than it did with religion. The religious aspect of the campaign was largely pretext. Please, if you're going to cite history in your arguments, learn more than the paltry and all-too-often incorrect offerings you get in high school textbooks first.

tl;dr, the comparison is legit.
Posted by Reverend Tap http://www.libr8.org on January 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM · Report this
Reverend Tap 31
@25/26: Thank you. As a spiritual person who could easily be mistaken for an atheist most days (as I consider my beliefs my own private business), the fact that so many atheists out there seem to think I am nevertheless deserving of unrelenting criticism and mockery just for having the beliefs I do is really quite grating.
Posted by Reverend Tap http://www.libr8.org on January 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM · Report this
OutInBumF 32
I just hope Scott gets what he so richly deserves, both in this life and the next. That would look something like what god had in store for Herod The Great.
Posted by OutInBumF on January 22, 2013 at 9:57 PM · Report this
The provision protecting the English Church stood "unshakable for 800 years"? Has this ignoramus never heard of Henry VIII?
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on January 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM · Report this
sissoucat 34
@17 "Gay people make a difference but atheists do not"

Oh, because you know what all atheists think, right ? Or, because you think you, of all people, can dictate what a True Atheist is ?

There are fanatics and bigots everywhere, in religion and out of religion. And just like Salafists are not representative of Islam, despite their loudmouth claims to the countrary, just like Evangelicals or the Pope Motherfucker are not representative of Christianity, you are not representative of Atheists.

What do you think you are, to be able to define what others must think ? Anointed by a supreme Power, are you ?
Posted by sissoucat on January 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM · Report this
If your marriage is weakened by someone else's, then you don't need legislation to strengthen it. You need marriage counseling.
Posted by Global Traveler on January 23, 2013 at 2:43 AM · Report this
The guy just used the phrase "pink jackboots" in a serious, nonironic context. I'd say that automatically means his argument is invalid.
Posted by pulton on January 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM · Report this
For someone who's opposed to assplay, Scott Lively sure does a lot of talking out of his. That stuff about Magna Carta was a hoot!
Posted by PCM on January 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM · Report this
@30, why is the fact that religion was a pretext for the Crusades a distinguishing factor to you? Isn't that exactly the point being made here, that religion is a pretext (for Lively, at least) for homophobia? I agree there are some good "religious" people out there, but supporting an institution that is routinely used as a pretext to commit atrocities seems like something good people don't do. Religion and spiritual belief are not the same thing.
Posted by Unlike witch trials, which were totally legit on January 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM · Report this
Reverend Tap 39
@38: Because, generally speaking, one pretext is as good as another for the amoral bastards who spend their lives seeking power. I'm no fan of organized religion, but without the church some other pretext would have taken its place, the Crusades would still have happened (albeit probably under a different name), and we'd be no better off for it.

At the end of the day, the problem is rooted in allowing a few individuals (be they popes or presidents or CEOs) to control the lives of the rest of the population. Positions of power are most attractive to those who most desire power; thus do the most vicious and predatory members of our species continually rise to the top. The pretexts they use in that rise are only so much window dressing.
Posted by Reverend Tap http://www.libr8.org on January 24, 2013 at 4:36 AM · Report this