Friday, January 18, 2013

Harry Belafonte Is Coming to Town

Posted by on Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM

This great and living piece of American cultural history will be at the Moore Theater tomorrow....

This is from a conversation I had with Harry Belafonte over the phone:
What will you talk about on Saturday?
Social activism, the state of the union, the state of the world. Where we are as a society, where blacks are as a part of this society, and the things we all need to do to improve our situation.

What's wrong with America?
We have a preoccupation with the middle class and no agenda for the poor. That's among my main concerns. The plight of the poor never improves. So it's up to the poor to take charge of their destiny. They have to be radical, more aggressive for their interests and make it unacceptable that they have no political representation in mainstream politics.

Do you think radical politics is possible in the mainstream?
The mainstream is where the important discussions happen. Success in politics requires mainstream consciousness.

When did you become an activist?
It began with my mother, my community, with people I grew up with in Harlem—that's when my activism started. I was active with Paul Robeson, with W.E.B. Du Bois, with the trade unions. I was in World War II, and we had to deal with Hitler. Where ever oppression exists, I have stood on the side of the oppressed.

Are you working on anything new?
Yes, I'm producing a play and a motion picture.

harry belafonte is a tireless advocate for the working poor in america and is just a cool dude. you rock harry!
Posted by tim koch on January 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM · Report this
stinky 2
It's refreshing to hear somebody- anybody!- mention the poor. Obama never does. It's a national disgrace.
Posted by stinky on January 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM · Report this
I'm so impressed. NOBODY mentions the poor with compassion. I am now a Belafonte fan.
Posted by shambhaladawa on January 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM · Report this
lark 4
Charles,
I viewed the film "Odds Against Tomorrow" (1959) by Robert Wise and featuring Belafonte, Robert Ryan (in a particularly nasty role), Shelley Winters and Gloria Graham a mere month or so ago on DVD. Outstanding and ahead of the curve. Belafonte is excellent in the lead role as is the rest of the cast. I can't recommend this movie enough.

I think Belafonte a handsome and greatly talented man. But, I disagree with much of his politics. And, I don't think he needed to harshly insult Gen. Colin Powell years ago (he called Powell a "house slave" in 2002). A few people called him on that. Evidently, he never apologized.

Posted by lark on January 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM · Report this
Belafonte is a person of principles. There are not that many of them around. He does not shirk when the pressure is on.

Respect to Mr. Belafonte.
Posted by Linda J on January 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM · Report this
He has always sounded -- and still sounds -- a bit full of himself.
Posted by sarah70 on January 18, 2013 at 7:31 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 7
All great artists are a bit full of themselves. With such passion for music and such passion for helping the poor, a measure of arrogance and impertinence is well worth accommodating.

I won't make it down to the Moore but I hope someone posts a review of it!
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on January 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM · Report this