Thursday, January 17, 2013

This Weekend at SIFF: A Very Good Terrible Movie

Posted by on Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

From this week's film lead on the ridiculous and amazing Miami Connection:

To say that Miami Connection is bad is a crushing understatement. Miami Connection is so bad it makes Tommy Wiseau's The Room look like Wild Strawberries. The plot—involving a tae kwon do troupe that moonlights as a bouncy pop band that's challenged by a gang of jealous drug-dealing bikers—is insane. The dialogue, crafted with the ear of an ESL television addict, is rudimentary in the extreme—"You need to get rid of that band, so you can control that area" goes my favorite line—with the actors seemingly making up what they say as they go along. The actors are not actors, but tae kwon do students, and their attempts at acting are as hilariously awkward as Dame Maggie Smith's attempts at tae kwon do. Badly overdubbed dialogue abounds. Hilariously bad fight scene follows hilariously bad fight scene. There is much random toplessness and a handful of hyuk-worthy scenes of bloody violence. It is terrible.

But out of this tragic mess of failure and incompetence, a distinctly sweet spirit emerges. Its source is the cumulative gameness and good sportsmanship of everyone involved in Miami Connection, which is drenched in a goofy joy that is contagious....

Whole thing here. Showtimes and tickets here. Trailer below.

This movie is like eating melted cheese on a plate!
(it's so good)
Posted by Kelly O on January 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM · Report this
Dougsf 2
Worse than The Room? Not ever close. Just judging by the trailor—the color was processed well, the scenes are (often) lit properly, there's more than three people in it, and most importantly; there's like, stuff happening on the screen. The Room has none of those things.
Posted by Dougsf on January 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM · Report this
David Schmader 3
2: Talk to me after.
Posted by David Schmader on January 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 4
This movie is like a $10 grilled cheese sandwich.

Good for the soul!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM · Report this
tabletop_joe 5
#2, See it and eat your words. It's amazing, it's wonderful, it's "worse" than The Room.
Posted by tabletop_joe on January 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Dougsf 6
@3&5: Ok, ok, ok, I'll withhold judgement until I see it, but I'm having a very, very, VERY hard time imagining this to be the case.

Posted by Dougsf on January 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM · Report this
David Schmader 7
6: You will be amazed!
Posted by David Schmader on January 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM · Report this
piminnowcheez 8
I am DYING to see this movie, in a theater, and b/c I live abroad, I probably won't be able to.

The thing is, I saw some publicity on the Internets for this, and I thought, Y.K. Kim, Y. K. Kim, why does that sound so familiar? Why does that guy look so familiar?

He's familiar because I grew up in Orlando in the 80's, when this movie was made, and when Y. K. Kim had his mug plastered all over billboards on I-4 and on commercials for his dojo all over UHF teevee (Channel 35, w00t!).

Oh, what better way to spend a nostalgia stiffy than to watch 80's martial-arts nerds act out their Hollywood fantasies.
Posted by piminnowcheez on January 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM · Report this
T 9
@2 I was with you until that last 10 seconds. The rest of it was basically a very dated music video intercut with mediocre action scenes. But that last bit sold me - I WILL SEE THIS!
Posted by T on January 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM · Report this
piminnowcheez 10
Against the Ninja!

(Dudes, I am so excited about this.)
Posted by piminnowcheez on January 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM · Report this
Wait, is this playing this weekend, or two weeks from now? SIFF and Drafthouse sites conflict.

SIFF: 1/18 - 1/19
Drafthouse: 2/1 - 2/2

What gives?
Posted by remarkablyadept on January 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM · Report this
Warren 12
On 15th video has this right now!
Posted by Warren http://notevensantafean.tumblr.com/ on January 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM · Report this
Knat 13
I'd wager, having seen neither, that The Black Ninja probably tops this.
Posted by Knat on January 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM · Report this