Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Seattle Weekly Editor Mike Seely Leaves to Work for Jingle-Writing Company

Posted by on Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Editor-in-chief Mike Seely announces over on the Daily Weekly:

It is with a heavy heart, fond memories, and unflinching optimism that I announce my resignation from my post as Seattle Weekly's editor in chief. My last day with the paper will be January 31, at which point I will move north (professionally) to Ballard to edit a worldwide subscriber-based commercial radio wire service for a thriving local company called ReelWorld.

To immediately defuse the sort of conspiracy theories which usually arise when a top manager leaves in the immediate wake of a paper's ownership change: No, I was not forced out, fired or asked to leave by Seattle Weekly's new owners, Sound Publishing.

I have e-mails/calls in to Mike Seely and Sound Publishing to find out who will be taking over as editor-in-chief and if Seattle Weekly readers should expect any more editorial shake-ups. I'll update when I hear back.

UPDATE at 1:50 p.m.: Mike Seely replied to my questions:

replacement is TBD. i won't be editing radio jingles. that's reelworld's bread and butter, but they offer other services to client stations. the one i'll be working on is a news feed for commercial radio stations which provides them with content to discuss on the air between songs and suggests ways to discuss that content. sort of a radio producer's role in other words, but for hundreds of stations instead of one.

no other changes imminent that i'm aware of. here's current mast for size of staff.

Baconcat 1
Like Charlie Sheen's character in Two and a Half Men? OH OKAY.
Posted by Baconcat on January 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM · Report this
treacle 2
Not a moment too soon.
Posted by treacle on January 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM · Report this
Best comic headline in aaaaaages! Wonderful wonderful.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM · Report this
Ziggity 4
Ask him if he was forced out.
Posted by Ziggity on January 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM · Report this
rob! 5
Real optimists don't ever talk about either flinching or not-flinching.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on January 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM · Report this
I'd prefer jingle-writing to composing news content for the Little Nickel.
Posted by J.R. on January 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 7
He has undoubtedly done much more for the paper, but for me his enduring legacy might always be my inability to forget the existence of his restaurant review entitled "Taco Del Mar & McDonald's Put the 'O' in Mayo", which began with the following premise:
"It remains one of life's great injustices that not every American citizen gets to experience the exhilaration of having a load splattered on his or her face and/or in his or her mouth during his or her lifetime. " (SW)
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on January 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM · Report this
the april fool's feature on "Lou Kohl" remains one of the worst things that I have ever read.
Posted by Conrad McMasters on January 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM · Report this