and Drunks

Monday, January 14, 2013

Lena Dunham Takes Questions from Miranda July

Posted by on Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Although the question-asking really goes both ways. In fact, the piece starts with a question from Dunham. July's introduction to this Interview interview begins:

A couple of weeks ago, Lena Dunham and I met for dinner. As soon as we'd placed our orders at a French-ish café in the Silver Lake section of Los Angeles, we plunged into a conversation about love between girls—both platonic and romantic. I began to describe my first real relationship, which was with a girl, and Lena immediately asked, "How did you feel about her vagina?" A few days later, I was telling this to an old friend, and the old friend said, "I've known you for 20 years and I've never thought to ask you that. . . How did you feel about her vagina?" Of course, Lena always goes straight for the most interesting thing, the thing you really want to know, even if it seems too intimate or too silly or too gross...

So how did July feel about her girlfriend's vagina? "Terrific. I felt terrific about it. I thought of it as a warm Danish from an expensive pastry shop."

Read their whole conversation right here.

Look, I can enthusiastically watch Girls and have a hearty laugh, especially at the caricatures of men on the show (disclosure, I'm a dude), but I will BURN IT ALL DOWN if Miranda July makes any further attempt to put herself near it.
Posted by Now I'm going to go rage-cry for a while on January 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM · Report this
I do not get the praise for Lena Dunham and Girls. Unformed, uninteresting people (and she seems fixated on everyone knowing every part of of her body whether we want to or not). I hope her 10 minutes are over soon.
Posted by westello on January 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM · Report this
Asparagus! 3
This should be a killer comments section, two controversial women!

My two cents:

Miranda July: No... No, No no no no
Lena Dunham: Yup! She's funny!
Posted by Asparagus! on January 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM · Report this
ryanayr 4
That interview is essentially watching two women in park slope take up an entire sidewalk with their double-wide stroller, talking about eastern medicine, and smelling their own farts. Voice of a new generation of vapid, rich, entitled women. Who cares.
Posted by ryanayr on January 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM · Report this
Wow, buncha crabs up in here.
Posted by Christopher Frizzelle on January 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 6
At least she didn't describe it as a canned ham dropped from a great height onto a sidewalk.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on January 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM · Report this
Fnarf 7
I agree with @3. I just watched the first five episodes of "Girls" and just about died laughing. Seriously, I don't think people understand how comedy works. Have none of you ever seen "Seinfeld" or "The Office" (especially the UK one) or "The Larry Sanders Show"? You're SUPPOSED to be uncomfortable. "Unformed"? Yeah, because that's what makes it real, fer chrissakes; that's what makes it not like "Friends".

Is Lena Dunham a fantastic person or not? Who cares? The show is good.

Miranda July leaves me real cold, though.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on January 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 8
@5 First time in the comments section?
Posted by heywhatsit!? on January 14, 2013 at 3:20 PM · Report this
The interesting aspect about Girls is that it is very honest about the reality of being a 20 something, even if the actresses/characters come from money and educational pedigrees -- The sense that you know everything you need to know about the world and that you're a superstar in your own mind who's going to conquer it---after which the real world hands you your ass on a platter.
Posted by neo-realist on January 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 10
The shocking thing about Girls to some people is that it's not all Sex and the City, but more like real life.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 14, 2013 at 3:31 PM · Report this
Girls is one of the best shows on TV and just ridiculously fun to watch.
Posted by Amanda on January 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 12
That's a great interview with a fantastic introduction, but I do not understand how Lena Dunham finds the new Uber app confusing. It's SO much nicer than the old version.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on January 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 13
@7 -- Girls was one of my favorite television shows from 2012, but I honestly don't know that I laughed out loud more than once or twice during the whole season. Like, many episodes of Downton Abbey have more LOLs/hour. This is not a dig on the show, (aside from the "comedy routine" parts of the show) that's approximately my experience with the also-exeptional so-called comedy, Louie, too.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on January 14, 2013 at 3:52 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 14
@13,

That only increases the appeal to me. I'm really tired of comedies that are structured to deal out one laugh-out-loud joke per minute. Even if all the jokes were funny, which they invariably are not, I just get sick of it. Can a modern day comedy writer give me five fucking minutes of plot development before the next crappy joke?
Posted by keshmeshi on January 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM · Report this
@1: I have the opposite view, Miranda July's made some stuff I enjoy. Girls is trash.
Posted by not trash, but not good enough for the hype on January 14, 2013 at 5:08 PM · Report this
not really trying to be the curmudgeon on this topic, but do find it astounding that dunham or july inspire anything positive in anyone. but to each her own.
Posted by trollz on January 15, 2013 at 4:01 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 17
@7: From the criticism I have seen, it is not so much about the writing or humor, but more because the show is actually "Privileged, Entitled White Girls."

Never seen the show, but this is the most common criticism I hear.

@13, 14: Totally agree: a well written show can inspire many emotions, not just the one that is closley tied to the genre. Shows like Louie and Moral Orel for instance transcended genre and the medium itself to make fairly deep, artistic statements. This is when both shows were at their best, not just gunning for yuks.

Even though they were still funny.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on January 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM · Report this