Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Good and Bad Rooftops of Hong Kong

Posted by on Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM

This is a good rooftop...

This is a very bad one...

Several thousand shark fins laid out to dry were found on the rooftop of a building housing seafood suppliers in Kennedy Town in central Hong Kong. Photographer Gary Stokes from the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society received a tip from an unnamed person on January 1 and took these pictures.
Yao Ming knows this wack shark fin soup thing has got to go....

Phoebe in Wallingford 1
Ugh. That is so awful. That's for raising the awareness Charles.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on January 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM · Report this
Of the only two (real) Iron Chef episodes I've sat through, one featured shark fin as the theme ingredient.
Posted by K on January 10, 2013 at 4:34 PM · Report this
No problem with shark fin, it just needs to be harvested responsibly and sustainably. Just as Koreans like dog, some native groups like whale, what right do we have to tell different cultures what they can and cannot eat?

Is this the new white man's burden Charles?
Posted by Kipling on January 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 4
I do hope the original is in all Chinese dialects.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on January 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 5
I couldn't tell if this spot was for a Chinese or US audience or both. The message is vitally important in both places. I was under the impression that shark fin soup was illegal in the US. I was really dismayed to find it on nearly every upscale restaurant's menu in Chinatown here in Los Angeles.

I know there are about 3000 years of culture that has to be upended, but shark fins, and rhinoceros horns, and tiger dicks, bear livers, etc? Hard to believe this new Chinese generation - one that is well-educated and fairly well-informed on environmental issues - can still buy into folksy, highly questionable remedies that are wiping out whole species. And when they're gone, they're gone!

So, yeah, I know shark fin soup connotes wealth and status. I know it's a wedding banquet tradition, but given the state of endangered animals and the cruelty involved with procurement, can we find an acceptable, more sustainable substitute? Is that possible?
Posted by Bauhaus I on January 11, 2013 at 6:01 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 6
...and bravo, Yao, for lending your celebrity and support to this most worthwhile cause.
Posted by Bauhaus I on January 11, 2013 at 6:02 AM · Report this
I'm fine with eating sharks. But for fucks sakes, eat the whole fucking shark, don't waste that shit!

And next time you feel sorry about shark murder, just ask the family of the trillions of fish that were murdered by sharks how they feel. Shark on fish murder must stop!
Posted by scratchmaster joe on January 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM · Report this