Thursday, January 10, 2013

Is Inslee Backpedaling on His Pledge to Veto New Taxes?

Posted by on Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM

INSLEE: Sharp eyewear, fuzzy answers.
  • INSLEE: Sharp eyewear, fuzzy answers.
At a press conference today in Olympia, hosted by the Associated Press, Governor-Elect Jay Inslee refused to directly back up a campaign pledge he made on the campaign trail to veto new taxes. “I would veto anything that heads the wrong direction and the wrong direction is new taxes in the state of Washington,” Inslee had said in an October gubernatorial debate against Republican Rob McKenna.

But today Inslee told reporters that he was willing "entertain ideas… from every part of the political compass," adding later, speaking about the transportation budget specifically, "I don't think we should take off the table any funding mechanism…"

I asked Inslee if that meant that he stood by his campaign statement to veto any new taxes. "What I said was that we needed funding for transportation. I would not eliminate any source of revenue for transportation," Inslee said. What about funding for education, which the state supreme court found we were deeply underfunding in its McCleary decision? Would he veto a bill that raised taxes for education or other purposes? Inslee seemed to waffle. "I believe we need to look at economic growth... and closing tax loopholes," he said before quickly taking a question from another reporter. But he never said yes or no. With budget shortfalls in the state's forecast and court mandate to fund basic education, this seems like a question Inslee will need to answer in office.

"He still didn't answer the question," one reporter told me shortly afterward. Another reporter who asked to remain anonymous added, "He didn't answer the question. Fuck no, he didn't answer anything."

So I followed Inslee down the hall and out the door, asking for clarification—directly: Do you still pledge to veto new taxes for education? "I am not going to answer another question because I don't want to encourage people to follow me to my car out of press conferences," Inslee said with a smile. Inslee further added that, by asking him to clarify his position, I was attempting to "shanghai" him.

Nonetheless, in an interview in the hallway afterward, Inslee campaign spokesman Sterling Clifford said that the governor still fully plans to veto any new taxes, even to meet the state's constitutional obligation for education funding. Clifford insisted, "He is standing by his pledge."

Matt the Engineer 1
Come on, Inslee. It's one little pledge. You're allowed to break one pledge every term - I think that's in the Constitution. I say up the stakes and make it an income tax.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on January 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM · Report this
I wish he would just say "Hell yeah, I'm gonna raise taxes. We need that right now." Then we'd just have to argue in favor of the RIGHT taxes instead of more of this sales tax bullshit.
Posted by tired and true on January 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 3

OK, we know one of these is Goldy, but do you really expect us to believe that someone else talked to you?
Posted by Sir Vic on January 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM · Report this
"I'm planning to do something" is not "I'm going to do something". The wiggle room is always intentional, and almost always indicates that they're not going to follow through on the plan.
Posted by tiktok on January 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM · Report this
fletc3her 5
What is the point of this whole line of questioning? Is Grover Norquist offering a bounty?
Posted by fletc3her on January 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM · Report this
Wow, he lied.

thanks god for I-1185 then. Luckily enough Democrats voted for it to make it the law of the land.

Of course, he'll never support an income tax, probably just more 'flat' taxes. I have no issue with that. It's the moderate thing to do.
Posted by Limousine Liberal on January 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM · Report this
leek 7
I sure hope he backpedals on that pledge. I wish even more that we lived in an environment where he didn't need to make it to get elected.
Posted by leek on January 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Gee, a Democratic governor wants to raise taxes? Will wonders never cease.
Posted by Mister G on January 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM · Report this
"I wish even more that we lived in an environment where he didn't need to make it to get elected."

Yes, democracy ruins everything.
Posted by Spong on January 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM · Report this

He's as honest as Obama who said he wouldn't raise taxes on those making less than $250,000.

And who then promptly raised taxes by thousands on those same households...

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on January 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM · Report this
@10 -show your math
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on January 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 12
Break the pledge already. Soak the rich. Institute a birth tax of 75k on any child born to a couple making over 400k.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on January 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM · Report this
And who then promptly raised taxes by thousands on those same households.

Obama can't raise or cut taxes. Congress does that. I know, it's just a niggling detail, but it's true. You're probably talking about the ending of the 2% payroll tax cut, which saved, well, 2% of gross income up to the Social Security cap of about $110,000. Bottom line: Yep, taxes just went up on the middle class. But not by "thousands." More like "hundreds."

And it wasn't Obama who did it. That honor falls to Congress. But Obama agreed to it, that's for sure.
Posted by Mister G on January 10, 2013 at 6:42 PM · Report this