and Drunks

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Good Thing I Have the Self-Restraint Not to Fling a Shoe at Richard DeBolt and Rodney Tom

Posted by on Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Representative Richard DeBolt (R-TransAlta): You know, I see this opportunity gap, and its funny to me.
  • Goldy | The Stranger
  • Representative Richard DeBolt (R-TransAlta): "You know, I see this opportunity gap, and it's funny to me."

Dom and I drove down to Olympia for the AP's annual pre-session leadership panels, mostly for the free coffee and donuts, but also to hear what the legislative leadership has to say about the coming session. But mostly for the coffee and donuts, which, unfortunately, I keep regurgitating every time Republicans Richard DeBolt and Rodney Tom open their mouths.

I promised to behave myself, so no shoe flinging or derisive cheers, but the heartburn and frequent eye-rolls are entirely involuntary. "Deep breaths," Dom keeps advising me. "Deep breaths."

Both DeBolt and Tom are sticking to the Republican talking points (DeBolt more slavishly, because, well, he has less capacity to stroll) that essentially seek to exploit the McCleary decision as an opportunity for gutting the rest of state government. For all the talk of bipartisanship, such an ideal is clearly impossible when there isn't an honest partner across the table. "We can't make Washington more expensive," emphasizes DeBolt.

Deep breaths.

Matt the Engineer 1
Am I missing the part where you tell us why it's a good thing you didn't start throwing shoes? Because I think that would have been excellent.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on January 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
Throwing shoes is a good thing.

It smells like ... Democracy.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM · Report this
MrBaker 3
I completely agree with 1 and 2.
Posted by MrBaker http://manywordsforrain.blogspot.com/ on January 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM · Report this
@2 WiS:

Throwing shoes is a good thing.

It smells like ... Democracy.

Goldy has a puppy. I don't think that's "Democracy" you're smelling on his shoes.
Posted by Mr. Happy Sunshine on January 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Why are all the shitbags Republican?

You know the answer. Even if you won't admit it to yourself, you know.
Posted by Tim Eyeman's Dead Conscience on January 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 6
Especially now that they are taking $1000 to $3000 in payroll taxes from your salary....
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on January 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM · Report this
The votes are in, dude. Chuck a shoe at those walking turds already!
Posted by benjles on January 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Hey #5, why are all the whiners "progressives" who don't understand that every single county in Washington State, including King, voted for I-1185?
Posted by Mister G on January 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM · Report this