and Drunks

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Today in GAAAHH!!! GIANT SQUID!!

Posted by on Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

This super rare footage of a giant squid was captured by Japanese documentarians who spent hundreds of hours trolling 630 meters beneath the Pacific Ocean—and it was totally freaking me out until the douchebag ABC News correspondent ruined the moment with his stupid "That ruins my dip in the Miami Beach waters" quip. YOU GODDAMN IDIOT, you just said the squid was 630 meters under the sea!! ATTACK, my minion from the deep! ATTAAAAACKK!!!

It's so beautiful!
Posted by gloomy gus on January 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Pretty cool.

This being the Japanese, I hope they didn't then kill it and bring it to the fish market.
Posted by floater on January 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 3
Japanese love squid.

On rice.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 4
@ 2, mmmm. Calamari the size of your dinner plate.
Posted by Matt from Denver on January 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM · Report this
Giant squid aren't edible. Their bodies contain a very high level of ammonium ions, believed to be used in maintaining neutral buoyancy.
Posted by dextrose dave on January 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 6
@5

Inedible you say? That makes it even more of a Japanese delicacy.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on January 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM · Report this
@5 Aren't most giant squid discovered dead and rotting? Isn't ammonia a byproduct of decomposition?

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know enough about giant squid; but considering this is the first video they have of a living giant squid, I can't imagine there's been a lot of opportunity to study and/or eat recently killed giant squid.
Posted by Bored@School on January 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM · Report this
M3 8
Miami is pretty far away from the Pacific Ocean. I think the ABC correspondent is probably safe from squid attacks.
Posted by M3 on January 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM · Report this
Is it just the same two squiddy shots over and over and over? And it that its eye or what?
Posted by LuisitaPhD on January 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM · Report this