Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Case of the Disappearing Installation

Posted by on Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Behind the woman speaking in this photograph is pictured an installation by the French artist Annette Messager. It's part of Elles, the exhibition visiting Seattle Art Museum from the Pompidou in Paris for another week, and this photograph was taken in October.

Impaled puppets and other marvels.
  • Impaled puppets and other marvels.

But this is what that same wall looked like during Art Walk last week:

Where the impaled puppets at?
  • Where the impaled puppets at?

I didn't see an explanation, so I emailed SAM later and was told the piece is "out for conservation." I asked what happened but I'm still waiting to hear back. Anybody?

34x42 1
i don't think i'll be able to get any work done today now. i simply must find out what has happened! please report back as soon as you hear anything.
Posted by 34x42 on January 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM · Report this
Sigalit Landau's Barbed Hula was also down on Sunday. When I asked about it, I as told that they didn't know when/if it would be back up, and reminded me that there was no re-entry to see the missed film, I'd have to repay if I wanted to see it. Kind of a bummer to miss the film in the exhibit, especially since it was part of the great film portion and would have made a great transition back to the main hall.
Posted by AnonymousCapHiller on January 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM · Report this
someone fell into it.
Posted by orangekrush4u on January 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM · Report this
stinkbug 4
I'm hoping to get to Elles for the first time before it closes on Sunday. How many items are missing from it now???
Posted by stinkbug on January 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM · Report this
Redundant, anyone?
"so I emailed SAM later and was told the piece is "out for conservation." I asked what happened but I'm still waiting to hear back."
Well, you said you already emailed SAM and were told it was out for conservation. What makes you think you need be privy to every detail? Clearly someone observed something about the piece that needed conservation attention, and there you have it.
Slow week, Ms. Graves?