and Drunks

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Man Struck by Bus in Downtown Seattle

Posted by on Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM

So that's why I was stuck on various buses for an hour this morning:

A man was seriously injured when he was hit by a Metro bus in downtown Seattle this morning — but walked for more than a block to a coffee shop.

The unusual incident occurred at about 7:20 a.m. when the man, about 30, was hit by a bus – hard enough to crack the bus’s windshield – near Third Avenue and Pine Street, said Kyle Moore, Seattle Fire Department spokesman.

He walked to the Starbucks at Fourth Avenue and Pine Street and went inside. An employee there said this morning that it was clear he had suffered a head injury.

Here's wishing the hard-hit pedestrian a full and speedy recovery.

Cato the Younger Younger 1
Should have mentioned that the bus had the right of way.

Seriously, if you are crossing 3rd, 4th or 5th Avenues in downtown pay the attention and don't fucking cross against the light.

This guy is a Darwin Nominee
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on January 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM · Report this
Sitting on a cornflake waiting for the van to come
Corporation teeshirt, stupid bloody Tuesday
Man you been a naughty boy. You let your face grow long
Posted by Wally Eggman on January 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 3
@1: Oh really? I suggest waiting for the investigation to complete before leaping to that conclusion.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on January 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 4
You could read the article Phoebe or talk to the witnesses
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on January 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 5
The poor thing was probably in shock.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on January 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 6
Transit vs Pedestrian thread GO!
Posted by TheMisanthrope on January 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM · Report this
Gordon Werner 7
@5 head injuries are strange things ...
Posted by Gordon Werner on January 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM · Report this
emor 8
Hey Cato, did you read the article? The words "right of way" appeared nowhere. In fact it makes no effort to describe what happened. Were you on the scene, interviewing the witnesses, then?

Posted by emor on January 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 9
@4: The article makes no mention of right-of-way. If you read another article that does, please provide the link.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on January 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 10
@1,

Uh no. The pedestrian had the right of way. I didn't even need to read the article. Know why? Because that is the LAW.
Posted by keshmeshi on January 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM · Report this
I saw the bus driver being arrested as I walked by.. hopefully an update soon
Posted by amsellie on January 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM · Report this
Ziggity 12
@6: Well, if anything this incident proves that my mode of transportation is superior to any others.
Posted by Ziggity on January 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM · Report this
Hernandez 13
@3, 8 and 10 - the Komo News article on this indicdent reports that witnesses said the bus appeared to have the right of way.

Wouldn't surprise me if that turns out to be the case. 3rd Avenue at Stewart, Pine and Pike is a white knuckle drive for anyone. Pedestrians dart out against the light at those intersections every day. I've been working down here for seven years and I'm surprised we don't see more people getting hit. I saw two extremely close calls last week alone.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on January 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM · Report this
Was the pedestrian a cyclist?* Three, two, one...
Posted by PCM on January 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM · Report this
TVDinner 15
I dunno, I've been treating my brain injury with coffee for years now, and I'm totally fine!!!!!! TOTALLY!!!!
Posted by TVDinner http:// on January 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM · Report this
From the Seattle P-I:
"Witnesses told KOMO News the bus appeared to have the right of way and the man just walked out in front of it."

If a pedestrian steps out into traffic, and the vehicles have the right of way, the act of stepping into traffic does not, to my understanding, mean that those vehicles have "lost" the right of way. The law requires that vehicles yield to pedestrians, yes. It doesn't empower pedestrians to willy-nilly change right of way.

It's a shame if this person was texting or not paying attention or whatever. I hope he can recover. But based on what I can find out, the driver of the bus did not do anything wrong.

Posted by TJ on January 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM · Report this
Renton Mike 17
He wasn’t served the coffee, however, because he was bleeding from his head.

Injury discrimination!
Posted by Renton Mike on January 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM · Report this
Here lies the body of Samuel Jay,
Who died defending his right of way.
He was right, dead right as he drove along
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.
Posted by wxPDX on January 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM · Report this
@10: Are you stating that pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way? Because that would be wrong and pretty stupid.
Posted by bigyaz on January 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 20
then why was a lane on Stewart closed?

total CF commute.
Posted by Max Solomon on January 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM · Report this
south downtown 21
if we had subways everywhere, this wouldn't happen. unless he was pushed...
Posted by south downtown on January 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM · Report this
More, I Say! 22
No one has anything to say about the bus driver appearing intoxicated?! NO ONE?! Drunk driving bus driver, and we're talking about bloody right-of-way. Oi.
Posted by More, I Say! on January 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM · Report this
I was actually on the bus this morning and the bus driver seemed fine, but who knows exactly. He was pretty shaken up afterward. I was in the back but a girl sitting in the front of the bus said that she saw the whole thing and that the bus had a green light, and the pedestrian clearly stepped out in front. I was reading in the back though so I didn't see it, but just felt it. It's a bummer how quick the news jumps to conclusions about the situations. I really hope he wasn't under the influence. ugh.
Posted by raerosen on January 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM · Report this
Well, I was actually on this bus this morning. The bus driver didn't appear intoxicated but I don't know for sure. He was pretty shaken up about it. I was in the back so I didn't see it happen but a girl that was up front said that she saw the whole thing and the bus had a clear green light and the pedestrian clearly walked in front of the bus. That's just what I heard though. It's sad to see the news posting stuff that might be false - I really hope he wasn't under the influence.
Posted by raerosen on January 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM · Report this
fletc3her 25
@19 Yes, pedestrians always have the right of way. There is no time when you do not have to yield to a pedestrian who is in the road in front of you. In the words of the driver's guide: "You must do everything you can to prevent striking a pedestrian, on foot or in a wheelchair, or another vehicle, regardless of the circumstances."

That said, this collision has nothing to do with yielding the right of way since the pedestrian stepped out in front of a moving vehicle.
Posted by fletc3her on January 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Lots drunks, crackheads, tweakers and general crazies on that block. I see lots of peeps doing dumb shit in traffic there
Posted by SamWayneSmith on January 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM · Report this
care bear 27
I hope he went to the hospital. Head injuries are dangerous things.
Posted by care bear on January 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM · Report this