Tuesday, January 8, 2013

If Anything Can Fuel Nostalgia, It's Modern Art

Posted by on Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

579604-01-main-900x695.jpeg
  • Courtesy USPS

I love that the United States Postal Service has issued a "Modern Art in America" stamp collection to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the legendary 1913 Armory Show in New York—which introduced artists including Marcel Duchamp, and ushered in what would become the eventual rise, domination, and canonization of American modernism in the 20th century. I will buy these stamps. Just look at them. From the Davis to the Dove to the Murphy, they're knockouts. Look! Look! Look!

And so, I will use them to mail my bills, which is what I mail. But I'm increasingly switching to online billing because I'm told this is the thing to do, and in matters like bill-paying, I try to do the thing to do. Okay, then: I will use these stamps to write letters. I'll have to start writing handwritten letters again. I do love letters. And I love the USPS. I love going to the post office. I love the buildings. I love the big teller lady on Broadway with the teeeeeny tiny voice in her. Maybe I could write her a letter. I could try to make it abstract and modern.

eeeee! Charles Sheeler!

I made the mistake of using a few of my Eames stamps so I don't have my pretty stamp sheet anymore...

thanks for the heads up!
Posted by Jenerate http://jenniferltowner.com on January 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM · Report this
Jen If you ever come to Chicago, let me know and I'll take you around to the various Post Offices in Chicago with great art in them.

and

I too love the post office.
Posted by Chicago Fan on January 8, 2013 at 11:31 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 3
If they include Edward Hopper's painting of a country road and gas station at night, I'll buy several sets. MINIATURE ART!

Chicago Fan- me too! Take me too!
Posted by Dr_Awesome on January 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM · Report this
cressona 4
Wonderful news. I'm not joking when I say, if I had to pick my perfect theme for a stamp set, it would be early 20th century modern art. Will pick up a whole bunch, even though I hardly mail anything anymore. I still have a bunch of the 44-cent stamps from a few years ago highlighting American abstract expressionism.
Posted by cressona on January 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 5
Wait, is there a tiny Chuck Close? Because owning a tiny Chuck Close would be SO COOL!
Posted by Dr_Awesome on January 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM · Report this