and Drunks

Monday, January 7, 2013

So That's How You Prevent Your Own Gang Rape

Posted by on Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Indian spiritual leader Asaram Bapu told his followers that the 23-year-old student allegedly gang raped by six men in December was just as responsible as her attackers for her own assault. You see, she apparently didn't pray to God hard enough to prevent the rape-with-iron-bar:

Addressing his followers recently, Asaram said that when the girl encountered six drunk men "she should have taken God's name and could have held the hand of one of the men and said I consider you as my brother and should have said to the other two 'Brother I am helpless, you are my brother, my religious brother.'

She should have taken God's name and held their hands and feet... then the misconduct wouldn't have happened."

He also went on to say, "Galti ek taraf se nahi hoti hai (mistake is not committed from one side)."

The girl was gangraped on the night of December 16 in a moving bus and died nearly a fortnight later at a Singapore hospital.

"The accused were drunk. If the girl had chanted hymns to Goddess Saraswati and to Guru Diksha then she wouldn't have entered the bus...," he added.

Comforting words for women everywhere.

Catherwood 1
What a shock: spiritual leader is an asshole. That's never happened before.
Posted by Catherwood on January 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM · Report this
Puckerd Poop Chute 2
Can I use this technique when my boss tries to fire me? " You are my religious brother, hold my hand and chant with me!"
Posted by Puckerd Poop Chute on January 7, 2013 at 8:17 AM · Report this
Ah - that was my problem. I should have prayed rather than fight back. I should have held his hand rather than bite it. Who knew?
Posted by StuckInUtah on January 7, 2013 at 8:19 AM · Report this
Skye Blu 4
Why does anyone still follow any religion when all they do is excuse pedophiles and rapists? What the hell does anyone get out of it? Why the hell would the lies of an asshole be anything other than a punchable insult?
Posted by Skye Blu on January 7, 2013 at 8:32 AM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 5
You know, for years Christopher Hitchens tried to tell everyone what bullshit it was to act like Hinduism's shit didn't stink. Stop being such a dick, Hitch, they said, putting down the beautiful polytheistic tradition that's all about love and harmony and being one with it all. So there you are.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on January 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM · Report this
Religion makes people stupid.
Posted by Don't you think he looks tired? on January 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM · Report this
theophrastus 7
The disgust here is fully proper, of course; but it doesn't require out of context bits of Leviticus, to see this attitude in all established religion. (the dissolving of the self, the turning the cheek, he who is without sin... etc) so, if anything this "spiritual leader" (always wanted to be certified for that m'self) is just being philosophically honest.
Posted by theophrastus on January 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM · Report this
I'm not generally one who wishes rape on anybody. However, over the last year or so I've found more and more people who I just can't help wishing would get gang raped. I guess I have to add another prick to the list. May this creep get gang raped in 2013 to teach him an important lesson. I hope he tries the praying with his brother bullshit first.
Posted by Root on January 7, 2013 at 8:53 AM · Report this
@7 I've heard religious types say that all the business about turning the other cheek and 'do not repay evil with evil' aren't hard and fast rules. They're guid lines for getting along with neighbors, family members, etc. If you look at them that way I think they work pretty well.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on January 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM · Report this
It makes perfect sense once you buy into the belief that there are powerful, intelligent beings interacting with humanity.
So when something bad happens:

a. It is punishment for something you did that offended one of them.

b. It is punishment for something you did not do that you should have done and that offended one of them.

c. It is punishment for something you did not do enough of that offended one of them.

d. It is a necessary part of their plan but your mind is not capable of understanding their plan.

e. It is really something good but it looks bad now because your mind is not capable of understanding it.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on January 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM · Report this
pfffter 11
I hope he gets assraped by 10 fire hydrants.
Posted by pfffter on January 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM · Report this
McJulie 12
Horrible, but this form of assholery isn't uniquely religious. It's the just world fallacy, which plenty of atheists (libertarians, in particular) fall into as well. Religious assholes will claim that she could have prayed her way into safety, libertarian assholes will claim she could have personal-responsibilitied her way into safety. Both varieties end up blaming the victim and, as a consequence, seeming bafflingly complacent about the evil actions of evil people.
Posted by McJulie on January 7, 2013 at 10:17 AM · Report this
treacle 13
Well, unlike some of the violent-wishing weirdos here, I do not wish Mr. Hindu Bigot to be raped. I wouldn't want that on anyone, it is a horrible, horrible crime.

He IS a privileged and cruel individual though, based on this limited insight. I hope he prays to Saraswati and to Diksha that they may lead him from his blamey ways.

Oh, wait that won't work.... duh. Maybe just strip him of his position and have him become a yogic ascetic in a cave somewhere, where he can't hurt any more people.

I highly encourage anyone here to watch Sita Sings the Blues, a compelling review of one of the critical Hindu stories of male privilege. One that still gets cited today by men and women in India.
Posted by treacle on January 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM · Report this
Lissa 14
@13: I was just thinking about that movie! Excellent recommendation.
Posted by Lissa on January 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM · Report this
passionate_jus 15
Guess it's not just the Abrahamic religions that are full of idiot assholes.
Posted by passionate_jus on January 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 16
@13 agreed, good movie. Shitty spiritual leader.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM · Report this
sirkowski 17
Eastern spirituality is just as toxic as western spirituality.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on January 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM · Report this
pfffter 18
@13 You're right, it's a shitty thing to say. My bad. I do hope someone sews his mouth shut though. Better?
Posted by pfffter on January 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM · Report this
Backyard Bombardier 19
More religious leaders really need to consider the spiritual benefits of a Vow of Silence.
Posted by Backyard Bombardier on January 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM · Report this
@12 No no no no. Wait a minute. I'm an atheist and I take offense to that. There are plenty of atheists out there who are nasty people, just because nasty people come from all walks of life. However, you'd be hard pressed to find an atheist who'd use his/her disbelief to blame the victim, in the same manner that religious nasty people use their belief to blame the victim, as pointedly illustrated by this example. Atheism isn't some sort of structured philosophy or school of thought dictating certain actions or traditions. It's just a skeptical rejection of the supernatural. It has absolutely nothing to say about "personal responsibility" or gender roles. Those are totally different things.
Posted by floater on January 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM · Report this
Speaking of preventing your own gang rape, never swim with the dolphins, gals. Or guys, for that matter. Dolphins are known to be pan sexual that way.
Posted by Mister G on January 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 22
There is a big difference between spirituality and religion. Spirituality is something that anyone can do, of their own free will, in their own time and not bother anybody with it (well, beyond repetitive and fluffy but useless facebook posts). Religion requires obedience to authority, laws, rules, programs, lists of 'thou shalt' and 'thou shalt not', etc. Religious leaders co-opt spirituality like Hollywood producing Dr. Seuss movies.

Hinduism was seen as some sort of escape in the 60's & 70's for Western people searching something beyond the rigidity of the desert sky-god religions. It has some nice aspects and some wonderful stories, but in practice it's the same misogyny, homophobia, and arbitrary cruelty under different names.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM · Report this
McJulie 23
@20
I was specifically referring to people who espouse the just world fallacy, and pointing out that it is the just world fallacy that makes them assholes, not the religion per se. I wasn't meaning to imply that there was anything particularly assholish about atheists.* Or am I misunderstanding the nature of your complaint?

*There is, however, something particularly assholish about many libertarians, who are often, in my experience, atheists.
Posted by McJulie on January 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM · Report this
@McJulie Atheists get the "your atheism is a religious belief" line of reasoning all to often and we are sensitive to it. It's a method used to put unreason(religion) on the same shelf as science(reason) and it's philosophically dishonest. Libritarianism is a party and can be just as dumb as the other political parties. Atheism has no sky god and can't honestly be compared to lines of thought that do.
Posted by Kansas boy on January 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM · Report this