Thursday, January 3, 2013

Today in Rape and Other Violence Against Women

Posted by on Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Five men have been charged in the brutal rape and murder of a New Delhi student:

Five men accused of raping a university student for hours on a bus as it drove through India's capital were charged Thursday with murder, rape and other crimes that could bring them the death penalty.

The attack on the 23-year-old woman, who died of severe internal injuries over the weekend, provoked a fierce debate across India about the routine mistreatment of females and triggered daily protests demanding action.

A sixth juvenile is still expected to face charges in the attack:

The law may bestow leniency on him but according to the Delhi Police, the juvenile associate of the men who executed the gangrape of December 16 was the most brutal of them all. According to the chargesheet, the juvenile had subjected the 23-year-old physiotherapist to sexual abuse twice, once when she was unconscious. He extracted her intestine with his bare hands and suggested she be thrown off the moving vehicle devoid of her clothes, it says.

The maximum sentence this juvenile could face would be three years in a reform facility.

Meanwhile, here in the US, the House GOP celebrated the end of 2012 by letting the Violence Against Women Act, which was passed by the Senate and supported by the White House, die on the floor without a vote:

VAWA, which has been reauthorized without fanfare since then-Senator Joe Biden spearheaded its passage in 1994, strengthens the criminal justice system's ability to address domestic and sexual abuse and expands services for Americans who have been victims of those crimes. But it expired in October of 2011 after conservative lawmakers balked at the addition of expanded protections for undocumented immigrant, Native American, and LGBT victims of sexual assault. The two chambers have butted heads over the bill for the past year—in May, the Republican-controlled House passed a watered down version to strip the protections for diverse populations, and subsequently refused to cede any ground to the Senate. The beginning of 2013 means the 112th Congress has officially failed to ensure protections for rape survivors. VAWA expired on its watch, and there's no more time to remedy that mistake.

That failure is a glaring mark on this outgoing Congress's unimpressive record, particularly because it's hard to find much about the domestic-violence prevention bill that seems difficult to support.

It's actually quite simple: What Republicans find hard to support is women.

Thanks for the graphic detail without warning. Really appreciate that.
Posted by tacomagirl on January 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 3
It won't be the government carrying it out, but her relatives might have some punishment for the juvenile waiting when he's released. not to wish violence on someone or anything...
Posted by Max Solomon on January 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM · Report this
TVDinner 4
What. The. Fuck.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on January 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 5
If you've watched the Republicans, they always get back at whoever does not vote for them. It's revenge, pure and simple.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM · Report this
Backyard Bombardier 11
Rape Culture, Exhibit A: @1, @8, @9.
Posted by Backyard Bombardier on January 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM · Report this
McGee 15
@13 You are a weeping, puss-dripping, dick-canker.
Posted by McGee on January 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM · Report this
treacle 16
I still want to know: Who the fuck was driving the bus? Was it one of the attackers? Or was it a city bus driver? If not one of the terrible men who attacked, shouldn't they face charges of negligence or accomplicery or something?

@12 - Unrepentant, and simply digging oneself in further.
Posted by treacle on January 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM · Report this
aureolaborealis 17
Are you in a safe place, Mister G?
Posted by aureolaborealis on January 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM · Report this
Backyard Bombardier 18
@16: The bus was chartered by the assailants. The driver is one of those chraged. The victim and her companion were lured aboard, thinking it was a city bus.
Posted by Backyard Bombardier on January 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM · Report this
merry 20
@ 15 - Seconded.

Posted by merry on January 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM · Report this
Lissa 21
The whole thing is just so horror show, it's almost impossible to process.
Posted by Lissa on January 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM · Report this
So when I say I'm a feminist other women will grimace and squirm politely and then make a lame statement about why they're not that basically amounts to: I'm afraid men won't like me but I still want to be able to vote and be paid equally, etc.. Then something like this happens and I can use as an example to say here's why I'm a feminist. The bit of information about the woman's entrails really makes my point about misogyny being alive and well. Wish I didn't have such a good reason.
Posted by know-it-all on January 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM · Report this
Lissa 24
@19: Oh but sweetie that would require any of us taking you "seriously".
Honestly you're so over the top at this point you're actually cheering me up a little.
Posted by Lissa on January 3, 2013 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Lissa 25
@22: Right there with ya. This and that Steubenville bullshit.
Posted by Lissa on January 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM · Report this
treacle 26
@18 - My god, that is just psychotic...
Posted by treacle on January 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM · Report this
Rotten666 27
@11 No, those are just anonymous strangers trying to rile you up. When you overreact and call such nonsense "rape culture", you are actually trivializing and diminishing the real issue.

Get a life.
Posted by Rotten666 on January 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM · Report this
Mister G, I see today you decided to seek negative attention. Why don't you man up and start making rape jokes in public, rather than being shamed by random people on the Internet. Once you have the balls to do that, maybe you can move beyond bottom shelf troll.
Posted by CbytheSea on January 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 29
Meh.

They'll just run for National Congress seats and get immunity anyway.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Mister G, you've officially jumped the shark. Your need for negative attention, and more painfully awful attempts at trolling is so childish, I really recommend heading over to 4chan to bone up on your trolling skills. I'd recommend free republic but even those dudes would be embarrassed by you.
Posted by CbytheSea on January 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM · Report this
Lissa 32
@27: I must disagree. It is a continuum. From little seeds of "oh boys will be boys" and "people say stupid shit on the internet" evil, a mighty tree may grow. Go listen to those boys from Steubenville. Things like this incident in India don't happen miraculously. It's step by rape apology step that gets us there.
Posted by Lissa on January 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM · Report this
Lissa 33
@31: LOL
Posted by Lissa on January 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM · Report this
venomlash 35
I can't remember ever seeing anyone (in real life or online) as rape-obsessed as Mister G. Seriously, find a girlfriend (or more likely, hire a sex worker) who's willing to indulge your fantasies.
Posted by venomlash on January 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM · Report this
It's such a great show of privilege not to care about these things. You're so not worried about being raped to death, it's just a big joke! Or, telling everyone in here what a stupid thing we're talking about, because derailing is so insightful and productive. Well done.

When something like this happens, after the shock wears off, I try to think about the good that is coming out of the terrible. That, and that education and determination are the things that will bring slow, inexorable progress.
Posted by barfy cute on January 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM · Report this
@22: YES. They don't understand that people dislike the principles of feminism as much as the name. "Well, people just react badly to the word 'feminist.'" Yeah ... people react badly to you being able to take birth control. Or having an abortion. Or reporting a rape. Guess you better not do any of those things, lest people think you're a radical!

Gah.
Posted by Gloria on January 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM · Report this
Lissa 41
@40: you are unregistered. He may not be able to see you. Although it may not make a difference even if he could see your comment.
Posted by Lissa on January 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM · Report this
Rotten666 42
@32 It's a grown adult trying to get it's jollies by fucking with people. No different than racist divershity troll. And not representative of the human population.

I can't help but shake my head when people get sucked in and make an ass out of themselves.
Posted by Rotten666 on January 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 43
@40,

It's been responding to unregistered comments, so, yes, it does see them.
Posted by keshmeshi on January 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM · Report this
Lissa 46
@44: He's a troll and he's tickled to bits that he's causing you distress. Answering any of us in good faith isn't what interests him.
He used to post as if he had a political agenda, but he kept having his ass handed to him, so now he just throws poo, buzzwords, and inappropriate punctuation.

It's kind of hilarious.

Posted by Lissa on January 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM · Report this
curtisp 47
There is now footage online of a member of India's Parliment getting stripped and slapped by a bunch of women. He was then detained until the police came and has been charged with rape. Apparently he was caught in the act of raping a woman. If so it is unfortunate that they bothered to turn him over to the police.
Posted by curtisp on January 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM · Report this
Perhaps enough pressure will be placed on Republicans by the new Democratic Congress folks that the VAWA bill will be passed after all.

If I were one of the 16 female Dems in the Senate, I would bring it up each and every day.
Posted by Patricia Kayden on January 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 49
Why is it that all the unregistered trolls hate gays and blacks, and all the registered trolls hate women?

Posted by Theodore Gorath on January 4, 2013 at 5:30 AM · Report this
Lissa 50
Because misogyny is still a little more socially acceptable, even in liberal circles. For example you wouldn't dream of laying any blame at the feet of some one walking home who had been attacked for being gay or black.
Posted by Lissa on January 4, 2013 at 8:37 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 51
So. Wait... Rape is legal now???
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on January 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM · Report this
Backyard Bombardier 52
@49: ....and this is why I pointed to one of our registered trolls as an exemplar of rape culture.

It is still considered acceptable - if somewhat naughty - to make jokes around and about the violent rape and murder of a woman. When I point this out, and suggest that it shouldn't be acceptable, I am told that I am the one with the problem.

How many registered trolls - or unregistered, for that matter - are as comfortable posting "Nigger" as they are making rape jokes, or trolling in rape topics?
Posted by Backyard Bombardier on January 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM · Report this
Lissa 54
@52: Thanks for getting it.
Posted by Lissa on January 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM · Report this
Any idiot who thinks they don't know someone who's gone through either rape or sexual abuse- you're in for a reverse santa claus situation.
I'm a guy, I've said silly shit in my life, it's like we have a sense of humour based on who can say the most shocking thing. That said I found out when I was an adult that my mum had been raped as a young adult- she never said anything about it (she's my mum I guess she thought it might be inappropriate to burden me with that information), and then I found out my sister and grandmother had both been raped at some point in their lives.
Which leads me to say this: people (us guys in particular) make a lot of jokes about rape, and violence towards women, and we don't know wtf we are talking about.
When people actually talk about it, the probability that you know someone who has been raped and or sexually assaulted is higher than you think.
I am a raging feminist, and everyone should be. Who on average is most likely to transmit the values and norms of a society to the next generation? Probably mothers? Wouldn't it be nice for them if we didn't condescend to reduce feminism to "complaining too much"?

Lastly I'm not interested in trolls, they lend their spare time to winding people up extracting the same glee guys get from telling violent rape jokes. I'm certainly not going to collude with them by telling their victims to stop complaining.
Posted by samshortis on January 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM · Report this
Lissa 57
@56: You speak so much truth.
My husband was having lunch with a group of co workers when this topic came up and one of the men scoffed that the numbers of sexual assaults were inflated. My husband, who has had a very active social life said that he could, out of the scores of women with whom he had been, count on one hand the number who had never been assaulted in some way. The man scoffed that the women at the table hadn't been. All but one of them raised her hand to say that she had been raped.
If we don't talk about it, it makes it so easy to pretend that it doesn't happen.
Posted by Lissa on January 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM · Report this
Lissa 60
@59: And I'd love to be there when you ask them big guy.
Why don't you try a little experiment in your own life and ask the women you know if any of them have been sexually assaulted and how they define it.
Posted by Lissa on January 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM · Report this
Bonefish 61
I never thought the Stranger would get a commenter who is as dumb as "Will In Seattle" or as pathetic a troll as "Supreme Ruler of the Universe." Then Mr.G hopped onto his big sister's laptop and started hammering away at that keyboard.
Posted by Bonefish http://5bmisc.blogspot.com/ on January 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM · Report this
Lissa 62
@61: Yeah he's a special little toaster. He's tried being semi intellectual ( posting about things he knows nothing about, most recently local distilleries ) but that really hasn't worked out for him. Now he's trying out some sort of middle school on line gamer persona. Like you said, annoying little brother kind of crap. I'm a little surprised he hasn't put the word dolphins in quotation marks yet in one of the 3 or 4 places he's posted about them. Boy loves him some quotation marks.
Posted by Lissa on January 5, 2013 at 8:04 PM · Report this
Bonefish 63
Now you've done it. He'll make a joke about dolphins raping your "progressive" "mom" and that'll sure show us who's the REAL dumbass around here!
Posted by Bonefish http://5bmisc.blogspot.com/ on January 5, 2013 at 9:02 PM · Report this
Lissa 64
LOL! I hope so! That would be hilarious.
Posted by Lissa on January 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM · Report this