Saturday, December 29, 2012

Congratulations, Maine

Posted by on Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Same-sex couples are getting married in the other Portland today, as Maine's voter approved gay marriage law goes into effect. Yeah, sure, I suppose given their time zone, Maine voters approved same sex marriage a few hours before Washington voters, but we got our gays to the altar quicker. So there.

Anyway, congratulations to all you newlyweds. But be forewarned.

NotSean 1
Applause, applause.
Posted by NotSean on December 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM · Report this
sperifera 2
Yay! Destruction of traditional marriage in another state completed! On to Maryland!
Posted by sperifera on December 29, 2012 at 5:50 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 3
Of course, society is collapsing all around us in Washington state. Can't you see the panic in the streets?
Posted by Gern Blanston on December 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM · Report this
originalcinner 4
My straight marriage is thrilled. Marriage for all who want it. Yay Maine.

(OK, maybe not "all". No goats, no polygamy. But regular two-person couples are fine with me.)
Posted by originalcinner on December 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM · Report this
seatackled 5
@4

Your first exception is unnecessary, as goats are not considered capable of making the informed decision of wanting marriage, unless you redefine wanting marriage to eating blackberry bushes.
Posted by seatackled on December 29, 2012 at 6:19 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 6
#2 and you know what else, for every 10 Hetero-marriages that a Gay couple's getting married destroys, that couple gets a toaster-oven. It's on page 315, paragraph 2 of The Agenda.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on December 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM · Report this
sperifera 8
@6 - In my experience, toasters (and/or toaster-ovens) are specifically oriented towards the lesbian side of the Gay Agenda spectrum thingy.

And to the troll @7, as pained as I am to say it, I'm going to have to agree with your comment, sarcasm aside. I may not understand it, nor want it for myself, but if I truly believe that the government has NO business telling me who I may love/marry, then I must extend that same branch of logic to those that practice polygamy. It is an age-old practice that is still prevalent and legal in much of the world. If two (or eight) consenting adult women want to be "haremized", who am I to tell them that they are wrong? Now please go reread that word "consenting".
Posted by sperifera on December 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM · Report this
@6 - Darn. I knew I should have chosen "Lesbian" when the time came to pick my sexual orientation. I could use a new toaster and/or toaster oven.
Posted by Sheryl on December 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM · Report this
@8,

As a supporter of gay marriage, I have two reasons for opposing polygamy, and I'll let subsequent commenters call me on my bullshit.

The first is logistical: government and private industry offer numerous rights and benefits to a "spouse" and while it makes no difference in terms of cost or law whether that spouse is same-sex or opposite sex, multiple spouses throw the whole affair into disarray. I hate to say that bureaucracy and paperwork is a reason to deny people the right to marriage, but that's number one.

The second reason is history. In my understanding, polygamy is rarely the result of three (or more) people of equal power making a joint decision, but more often the result of one powerful person collecting spouses as property. Maybe I'm wrong and a number of bad apples should not spoil the institution for the possibly-existing groups that wish to enter such an arrangement, and if so, I welcome the chance to be proven wrong.
Posted by Fr0zt on December 29, 2012 at 7:33 PM · Report this
seatackled 13
Yay, dominoes! First America, then the world!
Posted by seatackled on December 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM · Report this
horatiocain 14
Well done, beast coast
Posted by horatiocain http://jerkcity.com on December 30, 2012 at 2:21 AM · Report this
@8, 16

You are absolutely right, and as soon as you found a polygamy equality organization, I will write a check. Be sure to alert all SLOG readers as soon as you choose a name and qualify for non- profit status.
Posted by Clayton on December 30, 2012 at 6:59 AM · Report this
#10
1. Bureaucracy/paperwork can't be changed? That has got to be the worst reason for denying a civil right I've ever heard.

2. You think the history of polygamy is bad? Read a little about the history of regular marriage.
Posted by flan on December 30, 2012 at 9:52 AM · Report this
Where are all of their tear inducing photos? If you find 'em, please share.
Posted by Dod on December 30, 2012 at 9:56 AM · Report this
Posted by Dod on December 30, 2012 at 10:12 AM · Report this
During the Christmas season I was in my brother's trailer with his 2 wives and 7 children. We were watching lots of Jerry Springer and since I don't own a TV I wasn't familiar with this show. Everyone on his show was heterosexual and they were having screaming arguments about their infidelities. So I think this is proof that opposite genders cause opposing relationships. This cannot be good for the children. Therefore I think heterosexuality should become illegal. Let's do this for the children.
Posted by Juan Alfredo on December 30, 2012 at 8:22 PM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 24
22, Is it easier to blame gays for your failed marriages?
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on December 31, 2012 at 6:29 AM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 26
25, Exactly how did the gays ruin your marriage?
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on December 31, 2012 at 7:43 AM · Report this
Pick1 27
@18 I'll take some shit too as the historical context of #10's 2nd argument does ring out.

I'm from Utah and a very good friend of mine escaped a poly compound when she was 13.

I'm all for marriages between however many people as long as they are equal partnerships, but that is not the context in which the discussion will be addressed currently. You want to create a poly rights organization? I will definitely contribute as long as you specify which poly rights those are.

Countries that currently allow Poly marriages are widely very misogynistic with a terrible history for women's rights.

These are things that the poly rights organizers will have to argue, and they are completely different then the hurdles of the LGBTQ community. That's why comparing the two have always been apples to oranges.
Posted by Pick1 on December 31, 2012 at 8:24 AM · Report this
Charles Maguro 28
@22 Butthurt much? Rubbing it with creams and jellies helps. Oh, you already are.
Posted by Charles Maguro on January 1, 2013 at 4:07 AM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 30
29, Why can't straight people take responsibility for their own marriages?
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on January 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM · Report this