Saturday, December 29, 2012

Awesome NYE Party Gets Even Awesomer

Posted by on Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I spilled some hypey ink on Neumos and Nark Magazine's New Year's Eve bash in this week's Up & Comings.

Hey Tranny It's Tranny vs. Party Schmarty NYE Bash

(Neumos) Neumos and Nark Magazine join forces to present a New Year's Eve party with something to blow the mind of everyone. For drag lovers, there are performances by Alaska Thunderfuck and Jinkx Monsoon. For burlesque lovers, there are performances by Ben DeLaCreme, Kitten LaRue, and the great Cherdonna and Lou. And for fans of state-of-the-art indie pop, there's a performance by the Intelligence, the beloved band led by certified Stranger Genius Lars Finberg. When indie pop meets burlesque meets drag meets a new year, everybody wins. DAVID SCHMADER

I have just been informed that the bash will now feature one more scream-worthy star: the one and only Sharon Needles (who we hope lays off her semi-habitual N-bombs). Full info here!

Awesome! I'm pretty sure "Hey Tranny It's Tranny" is a reference to this perfection of Amy Poeler's Project Runway spoof: http://www.hulu.com/watch/11932
Posted by six five on December 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM · Report this
Fuck that. I went to the last Hey Tranny, It's Tranny show at Neumos this summer, and none of the promised drag queens on the bill performed except for Sharon Needles, who was on stage for about 10 minutes. Not getting ripped off again.
Posted by JenV on December 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM · Report this
@JenV

Everyone else figured out that it was because they were currently filming RuPauls Drag Race S5. Except you.
Posted by Duh2000 on December 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM · Report this
@3
Thank you.
Posted by Sahoyah on December 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM · Report this
@3, Tough shit. They still advertised that those performers would be there right up until the show (they were on the typed list stuck to the walls outside Neumos that night.) Nobody mentioned that they wouldn't be able to perform. And that doesn't explain why Sharon Needles performance was so brief, either.
Posted by JenV on December 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM · Report this
@JenV

Oh, waaaaaah. Not surprising that the person who's complaining in the comments section on Slog is the same kind of person who goes to one of the most fabulous dance parties of the year (I was there and had an absolute blast) and makes a sour face the whole time because they didn't get their money's worth of drag queens. Your presence I'm sure will not be missed. I cannot WAIT for this!!
Posted by quityerbellyachin on December 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM · Report this
@6- It was a good dance party. I didn't make a sour face the whole time, I just felt ripped off when I realized a bunch of the advertised acts never performed. And besides, I didn't pay for a dance party (which would have been cheaper), I paid for a drag show. Which is what I was looking for, and which it was not. Had I known it was going to be a dance party I'd have paid $12 less and gone to R Place and seen an actual drag show. I don't have a ton of money, so when I shell out $37 for a show I expect to get what was advertised.
Posted by JenV on December 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM · Report this
michael strangeways 8
Hmmm....the only "no show" in June was Alaska...because she got booked on "Drag Race". Jinkx was announced as well but her name was removed from the guest list VERY early on. And, drag queens DON'T generally do long sets...the majority of drag shows consist of a host and 4 or 5 performers who do 2 numbers tops. At 5 minutes a number, it works out to about 10 minutes. That's pretty much how it works at R Place, too...
Posted by michael strangeways http://www.seattlegayscene.com/ on December 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM · Report this
Nark 9
Nobody told me Alaska was filming and not coming until a day prior, cute huh? Well the good news is no one is filming tomorrow so everyone will be here! xo
Posted by Nark http://www.narkmagazine.blogspot.com on December 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM · Report this
This comment is bound to be unpopular but I'm going to post it anyway. I'm a trans person that lives in Seattle. I love it here and I cannot say that I have ever faced discrimination for being trans in this city. That being said I cannot tell you how much I cringe to read this party name. I of course have no problem with drag, but I really do take offense at the usage of the term "tranny". "Tranny" is often used as a derogatory term for trans people who already suffer from the highest rates of violence and discrimination among any of the GLBTQ community. I really cannot fathom why it is often deemed appropriate by the gay male community to use this term in this context. The direct implication is that trans people specifically trans women are "just pretending" to be the gender they live as. I actually decided to stop living in drag years ago when I came out of the closet and transitioned.

Most will say it's all in good fun, I'm sure, (especially when used by people in the queer community) but "tranny" is still a term that will be nastily slung at young trans people by bigots and transphobes who will deny these people rights or any semblance of empathy while society laughs on. I have heard this word shouted at dear friends who were brave enough to find their true self and live it.

You can blow off my opinion if you like, but I will tell you that the future will remember these little offhanded slurs with deep shame and embarrassment, no matter the context.
Posted by Voxpop on December 31, 2012 at 12:06 AM · Report this
Ok, I was last the last show this group did and it pisses me off that everyone seems to be focusing on the queens & not the a-maz-ing musical talent that performed. Ssion is the shit. JD played the good shit. It was bizarre that a lot of the people seemed to leave before the end of the actual show. That was the real action. Peace & out.
Posted by faux pas femme on December 31, 2012 at 1:07 AM · Report this
@10: "The direct implication is that trans people specifically trans women are "just pretending" to be the gender they live as."

While I understand why transvestite performances would make you feel uncomfortable, you're also projecting your insecurities onto the greater community. They are not transgender as you are, and again, I can see how the grotesqueries of drag could reflect on your sincere transitioning and all the sensitizations that come with it, but I disagree with your sentence above. They are not implying this and anyone who gets that message is not an ally of anyone.
Posted by you're attacking from the wrong angle on December 31, 2012 at 9:43 AM · Report this