and Drunks

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Perfect Meal

Posted by on Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Shiro_s_receipt.jpg

This is the receipt for a sushi dinner I recently shared with two friends at Shiro's in Belltown. The fish arrived in a certain, calculated order. This order had three rounds and each round was calculated by my friends to have an internal logic and an overall progression toward the fish candy at the end.

Note: This was my first time eating geoduck (chewy), octopus (slightly less chewy), and eel (like butter). Do not be afraid. Everything is good at Shiro's, so everything was good. But some things were INSANELY GOOD. They shall be listed in all-caps. The things that are too good to even think about when it is not possible for me to gobble them this minute will be all-capped and bolded.

Round one: USUZUKURI (thinly sliced snapper), salmon roll, albacore tuna.
Round two: Geoduck, OCTOPUS, EEL.
Round three: FATTY TUNA, FLYING FISH ROE, BLACK COD.

Though to tell the truth, the letters spelling "black cod" should also be screaming and on fire. So should these: Go!

Most of these species are thoroughly overfished.
Posted by gthj on December 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM · Report this
tainte 2
mmmmmm....unagi.
Posted by tainte on December 19, 2012 at 3:05 PM · Report this
Unregistered User 3
@1 so hurry up and eat them before they go extinct!
Posted by Unregistered User on December 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM · Report this
Black cod (aka sablefish) is my favorite! It's like halibut, but a little sweeter and fattier and oh my God I want some grilled with salt and pepper RIGHT NOW.
Posted by Kalakalot on December 19, 2012 at 3:20 PM · Report this
i took a friend from the midwest who had never had sushi before to shiros and it was almost embarrassing how scared he was of everything

at this point i would just lift a fish out of a river, take a bite out of it, and set it back without giving any fucks
Posted by Swearengen on December 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 6
I am glad that in these tumultuous times, when our nation is discussing the prohibition of human rights while on the edge of a financial precipice courting insolvency, you can take the time to tell us what you ate for lunch.

People say that journalism is dead, to them I say, "Your wrong!"
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on December 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM · Report this
@5: Not a fresh water fish, but salt water fish yes.
Posted by LMcGuff http://holyoutlaw.livejournal.com/ on December 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 8
Hmmmm. All of it sounds expensive. Yummmmy!
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM · Report this
seatackled 9
@6

Pretty impressive that in such tumultuous times in which life as we know it may soon perish from the earth you have the time to bitch about an art critic writing about about her meal on a blog that covers all sorts of shit ranging from the serious to the frivolous.

But I guess your characterization of what was called dinner as lunch demonstrates that you're sufficiently engaged in the important things.
Posted by seatackled on December 19, 2012 at 3:33 PM · Report this
@6,9 you have to admit, the fact that it was dinner and not lunch was buried deep in the beginning of the first sentence. One can not be expected to read that far in these tumultuous times. "Your" right, Cascadian Bacon, and "your" also very intelligent!
Posted by deign_to_say on December 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM · Report this
The rise of sushi is very bad for the reality that our oceans and severely over-fished, which is going to result in mass extinctions of ocean life *in our lifetimes*
Posted by Racing Turtles on December 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM · Report this
Came to see if anyone had shamejacked the thread yet. 59 minutes, not bad.
Posted by gloomy gus on December 19, 2012 at 4:06 PM · Report this
@10: Perhaps Bacon@6 was using the possessive on purpose, in the same way someone might say "my bad." "Wrong" in this case would be a noun, not an adjective. But, probably not. I think from a grammatical point of view, the coment was more likely just Bacon's wrong.
Posted by Eric from Boulder on December 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 14
@6. Way to be "that guy".
Posted by heywhatsit!? on December 19, 2012 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 15
Shiro IS A GOD!!!!!!! I worship at his feet while stuffing his wonderful sushi in my mouth!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on December 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM · Report this
And just like that, I am out the door to Tsukushimbo, for the very best sushi in town.
Posted by karion on December 19, 2012 at 5:18 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 17
Next time get the mackerel. (Not Spanish mackerel, which is good, but completely different.)

It's super buttery and reminds me of the pickled herring you'd find in Denmark. (Mackerel is usually marinated in vinegar - i.e., pickled - for preparation as sushi.)

I've never had better mackerel than at Shiro's.
Posted by Free Lunch on December 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM · Report this
Vancouverite 18
I won't nag or shame anyone about right or wrong for sushi eating, but if you do happen to be concerned about sushi and ocean sustainability, here's a handy pocket guide from Monterey Bay Aquarium: http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr…
Posted by Vancouverite on December 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM · Report this
@12 fuck that I did it in the first post
Posted by ghj on December 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM · Report this
Aaron 20
Did you order everything in alphabetical order, or is that just a weird "feature" of the restaurant point-of-sale system (Seattle's own Dinerware)? Personally I think the receipt should reflect the order of the meal. (And where's the tamago for dessert?)

p.s. Don't whine about the guys to took the beautiful octopus from Alki's Cove 2 in a "grisly scene" if you are going to order it at your local sushi place. Personally, never on my plate.
Posted by Aaron on December 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM · Report this
Fnarf 21
@17, is correct: you need fatty fish in this list. Mackerel, Spanish mackerel, gizzard shad, smelt. And I'm curious to know why the tobiko isn't bolded. It always is on my list. My dream dessert is flying fish roe. Also, in every Japanese restaurant, the salmon skin is better than the salmon, especially in a roll.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on December 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM · Report this
I am just here to point out that everyone is arguing, and no one read the article. Because the link is broken. SLOG!
Posted by snakes on December 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM · Report this
How could only three people possibly eat all those fish?
Posted by sarah70 on December 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM · Report this
James McDaniel 24
For those (like me) who prefer sustainable sushi, Mashiko in West Seattle has incredibly delicious sushi at very reasonable prices. Try the omakase!
Posted by James McDaniel http://jamesmcdaniel.com on December 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 25
No ikura OR hamachi? This is the third circle of sushi hell.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on December 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM · Report this
Pick1 26
O man, I wish I lived on the coast. Fish here in Utah is all shit.
Posted by Pick1 on December 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM · Report this