Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Fuck the Budget

Posted by on Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM

No, I'm not so thrilled with Governor-elect Jay Inslee's tepid response to Governor Chris Gregoire's budget proposals, though really, what could he say so soon after winning an election in which he promised not to raise taxes?

But you know what? It doesn't fucking matter. As much as we need to raise additional revenue—as much as there's absolutely no way to put together a humane and responsible budget that doesn't kill people and strangle our state economy without raising additional revenue—the Rodney Tom-engineeered GOP senate coup makes that all but impossible. Even assuming that the bullshit two-thirds supermajority requirement is tossed out by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional (and if the justices have an ounce of integrity, it will be), the Republicans can now block any tax increase from passing on even a simple majority vote. And they will. Because that's what Republicans do.

Really, as long as Inslee is constrained by an ideological anti-tax majority in the senate, his campaign promises don't mean fuck. So either way, prepare yourself for a cruel and unconscionable budget.

Poor Goldy has finally come to the "acceptance stage" in the grieving process.
Posted by BobT. on December 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
Or we could just defund all the red counties.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM · Report this
"So either way, prepare yourself for a cruel and unconscionable budget."

What about preparing ourselves to prevent the election of anti-progressive taxation politicians? What are progressive Democrats doing to prevent a repeat of current events and to build a coalition against austerity?
Posted by anon1256 on December 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM · Report this
But if nobody ever speaks out for revenue, we're never going to get it. So Inslee's "tepid" response actually matters greatly, because it shifts the terrain of debate even further right than it was before.
Posted by Fat-tailed on December 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM · Report this

Goldy and SLOG have yet to embrace fair and equitable increases in property taxes and to fight for HB-2100, the application of a financial asset tax on estates over $1 million.

But then, Democrats are the party of the entrenched status quo, and only want to tax the productive middle class.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on December 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM · Report this
lauramae 13
Everything about Inslee has been tepid. He ran a tepid campaign and had tepid ideas. I figure that he'll be railroaded without much resistance.
Posted by lauramae on December 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 14
They said that about Obama, @13, and Komrade Boehner found that was not true too.

All your red county subsidies is belong to red line.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM · Report this
JonnoN 16
I'm excited to hear Inslee's secret plan once he takes office. He does have a secret plan, right?
Posted by JonnoN http://www.backnine.org/ on December 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM · Report this
lauramae 17
@14. What?

Anyway, I've thought Obama caved quite frequently and appears to be offering up social security changes as one tidbit to the 1% along with tax exemptions for richie rich while eliminating the lame but important bread crumb of the payroll tax holiday. They never should have done the payroll tax holiday because people really wouldn't notice the bit of extra cash, but they will notice the bit of extra cash disappearing especially since most people probably have seen every bill go up, but not their pay check.

At the state level, I have no idea what Inslee will actually do or be able to do. I don't know that he has the gumption. And I figure as with previous years, cuts to higher education will continue.

The only reason I didn't vote for McKenna is because I figured he'd reject national dollars that would make the financial picture in WA even more difficult. That said, I was never impressed with my Inslee choice. I felt like I voted for Dukakis.
Posted by lauramae on December 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM · Report this
cressona 19
Following lauramae @13's: Everything about Inslee has been tepid.

Reaching the end of this post, I said to myself, "Fuck the budget." (Oh, how'd I get that phrase in my head?) Considering the limitations Goldy aptly describes, my concern isn't so much Inslee's tepid response to the Gregoire budget, it's Mr. Apollo's Fire's tepid non-response to the coal trains plan.

OK, sure, go ahead and tell me the governor is legally powerless to stop the coal trains. But people are saying all kinds of things about how we're powerless to stop Seattle from becoming a coal-shipping outpost for China. If nothing else, I'd just like to get some indication that the governor stands for something--you know like something he allegedly believes in.
Posted by cressona on December 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM · Report this
sloegin 20
How do you answer too many cuts to education and a completely out of control regressive tax system? With more cuts to education and more regressive taxes, duh.
Posted by sloegin on December 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM · Report this
Dukakis:
Ran a crap presidential campaign but his state could have had a lot worse as governor...oh yeah, they did.
Posted by david on December 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM · Report this