Monday, December 17, 2012

Researchers Have Discovered a New Slow Loris Species!

Posted by on Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Cute poison!
  • warmer/shutterstock
  • Cute poison!
Also, did you know that slow lorises are poisonous? I did not!

Via discovery.com:

Researchers have discovered a new slow loris species in the jungles of Borneo, according to findings published this week in the American Journal of Primatology.

Known for its toxic bite, the slow loris — a nocturnal primate found across Southeast Asia — is closely related to a lemur and is characterized by unique fur coloration on its face and body.

An international team of scientists pinpointed the new species, found in Borneo's central-east highland area, by studying the distinctive colorings of the faces of the animals.

"Differences among these facemasks resulted in recognition of four species of Borneaon and Philippine lorises," the statement said. "Of these, Nycticebus kayan is a new group unrecognized before as distinct."

The team's analysis also recognized two other species, previously considered as possible sub-species, as unique.

So cute. So toxic. I love them.

Queen of Sleaze 1
Cutest. Poisonous creature. EVER. I would still snuggle one, I don't care.
Posted by Queen of Sleaze on December 17, 2012 at 12:35 PM · Report this
Fnarf 2
When they are captured for the pet trade in Japan and Russia, they use pliers to break out their teeth so they can't bite. Problem solved!

Don't buy exotic pets.

Also, I heard a rumor that this loris is not just slow but may in fact be THE SLOWEST LORIS OF THEM ALL!
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on December 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM · Report this
I heard they secrete poison from their elbows and then lick said elbows and that's how they become so dangerous. Still sooooooo cuteeeeee.
Posted by Guest Author on December 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM · Report this
Tracy 4
They are fantastic critters. I think technically they'd be venomous, not poisonous, as they're transferring the venom with their bite (whereas poisonous would be a problem if one were to eat a Slow Loris. The horror!)

The professor who discovered the speciation differences runs the fantastic Little Fireface project http://www.nocturama.org/
Posted by Tracy on December 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM · Report this
this guy I know in Spokane 5
Are they toxic because they secrete a toxin with their bite, or are they more like the Komodo Dragon, where the bacteria in their mouth is so toxic that anything they bite eventually just dies?
Posted by this guy I know in Spokane on December 17, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Puckerd Poop Chute 6
yeah, I've seen these cuties on YouTube. The only problem is that they are available to be sold as pets in Russia, after they are taken at an early age and their poison fangs are ripped out with pliars.
Posted by Puckerd Poop Chute on December 18, 2012 at 7:36 AM · Report this