and Drunks

Friday, December 14, 2012

Here's a Small, Unrelated Good Thing You Can Do on This Terrible Day

Posted by on Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 4:21 PM

While we're all working on raising hell about gun control (Dom's mom: YES), we can also give to Northwest Harvest to help feed the hungry children and families and old people in our state, as the Slog Holiday Charity Challenge continues. And we have the winner of the overnight at the Edgewater, Vanessa, after the jump, with a small, sweet tale. Sorry about the world, everyone.

Attached is my receipt for $10. I wish I could have given more; I realize I am more fortunate than many & far be it from me to bemoan the lack of a lavish Christmas, but this is why my donation is anemic and why I deserve the night at the Edgewater. On 12/9 at 1:30 a.m., I married my best friend, Daphne. Married. As in Legally Recognized in the State of Washington MARRIED. We shopped for our duds and rings at Goodwill. We are saving for a home and a baby. We would LOVE a one-night “honeymoon.”

Please?

Vanessa

Vanessa: Congratulations, and YES.

UPDATE: Upon learning of her winning, Vanessa says:

STFU!!!! oh my god, i just burst into tears! are you serious???

biffp 1
Good post. Put your sadness and concern for kids toward some concrete help for kids.
Posted by biffp on December 14, 2012 at 4:39 PM · Report this
Fine charity I'm sure, but using the massacre in Connecticut to raise funds for them is sleazy, plain and simple.
Posted by Mister G on December 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM · Report this
schmacky 3
Just put in $50. Thanks for giving me something to do.

Also, @2, I'm tempted to call you an asshole, but I just don't have the energy. And maybe you're just pissed like I am about this whole situation and feel like lashing out. But you're barking up the wrong tree. Any time is a good time to help feed starving kids.
Posted by schmacky on December 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM · Report this
Hey #3, maybe if we have another massacre tomorrow we can all give $100. Fuckin' sleazebag, you're no better than the wingnuts who blamed it on the lack of God in the schools. Is there nothing you won't use to shake the goddamned money tree?
Posted by Mister G on December 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM · Report this
yelahneb 5
Listen everybody, it's been a rough day. Let's all just get a decent night's sleep and see what tomorrow brings - maybe things will seem a little less awful by then.
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on December 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM · Report this
schmacky 6
@4...I'm sorry, man. Hope you have a good night.
Posted by schmacky on December 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM · Report this
7 Comment Pulled (Spam) Comment Policy
@2/4: I didn't mean to use the tragedy, in any way. I hesitated about posting about the Charity Challenge yesterday, and I had my colleague Paul Constant help with the post to try to make it appropriate and respectful. We both felt that people might want to do a small, normal, caring thing on such a hugely abnormal, incomprehensible day. We did not mean to sound mercenary. The Charity Challenge is the opposite of that.

@everybody: Thanks for taking deep breaths and trying to understand each other. It is really, really nice to see the kind of empathy @5 and @6. Really nice. Thank you.
Posted by Bethany Jean Clement on December 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM · Report this
Didn't mean to use the tragedy? Bullshit. You're no different than the wingnuts who "didn't mean to use the tragedy" to push their religious agenda. Or McGinn who "didn't mean to use the tragedy" to push his re-election.
Posted by Mister G on December 15, 2012 at 1:17 PM · Report this
Let me tell you from my past experience using Northwest Harvest's services. They do all these food drives and ask for money, but _none_ of it makes it to the clients served. I'd go there every week and all they would have is a few canned vegetables, potatoes and a bag of rice. I don't know what happens to the stuff that's donated to them, but it never makes it to what's given to clients. Maybe they sell it?! It's a racket as far as I can see.
Posted by Weekilter on December 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM · Report this
#10, so now we know where those $5 a pound farmers market carrots come from, eh?
Posted by Mister G on December 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM · Report this