Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Dark Seattle

Posted by on Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM

The culture critic Steven Shaviro describes a SF novel, Dark Eden, by Chris Beckett...

The novel is set on a dark planet, one that does not circle any sun. The only energy source is geothermal, arising deep within the planet’s core. Plant and animal life forms have evolved, using this energy for fuel. “Trees” and other plants draw up heat energy from deep beneath the planet’s surface, and provide the ecosystem with warmth and light...

This strange planet looks and feels a lot like Seattle in these past few days...

Screen_shot_2012-12-12_at_8.41.17_AM.png
Dreary and practically dayless Seattle is a planet that has no sun and draws all of its heat from the ground.

Yesterday was, apparently, the sixth darkest day of the year. http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2012/12/da…
Posted by aurora f on December 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM · Report this
long-time reader 2
Astronomically speaking, isn't a mass that doesn't orbit any star more properly called an asteroid?
Posted by long-time reader on December 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM · Report this
geoff teardrop 3
@2 "rogue planet"
Posted by geoff teardrop http://twitter.com/wipess on December 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM · Report this
emor 4
@1

Wow, there's 20-30 times more solar energy in the summer times compared to a cloudy winter day. That's an amazing fact.
Posted by emor on December 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM · Report this
it's combination. lack of sunshine hours, plus cloudy weather, magnified by the fact that the rain hangs around making the earth spongy, leaves stay soggy for a few months, driving you inside and shut in, becuase in reality you can't really roll around on the ground playing football or jumping in leaves. fall in seattle should be called Sog. Then, usually if you bring it up some social politeness nazi tells you "I like the rain!" or some other nonsense and giving you the seattle freeze face, a grimace pretending to be a smile that says "it's not so bad. shut up."

throw in the traffic problems and flus and colds and my god, this season in seattle sucks big time. it's not our area's best feature.

[so move outta here in 4...3...2...1....and other not-exactly open-and-hospitable comments....]
Posted by smilent faces on December 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 6
@5 - I feel you.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on December 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM · Report this
We've had sunny mornings though.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on December 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 8
Seattle winter fucking sucks. Anyone who tries to tell me otherwise would risk being punched in the face, if I wasn't paralyzed by crippling depression right now.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on December 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM · Report this
Amalink 9
I love Seattle winter. Maybe that's because I'm from New England and I think that a few months of gloom beats the fucking hell out of five months of snow, ice, and below 0 temperatures every goddamn day.
Posted by Amalink on December 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM · Report this
treacle 10
I don't draw my heat from the ground, I draw my heat from the near-constant whining about how dark and cold the winters here are.
Posted by treacle on December 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM · Report this
@8: You should avoid the UK in winter at all costs then. The southern-most point is further north than Seattle and no point in the country is more than a hundred miles or so from the sea, so the weather is like here, but more so. They're also much less tolerant of whiners.
Posted by tiktok on December 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM · Report this
@9, shut up. We have 9 months of gloom. @8, punch @9 please.
Posted by sarah70 on December 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM · Report this
emor 13
Winters here suck. I am sick of people complaining about it, though. Guess I'm a "social politeness nazi," whatever the fuck that is. Some people really get worked up about othe people's opinions, I guess.

Anyways, back to plannin Summer 2013.
Posted by emor on December 12, 2012 at 11:58 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 14
Around the end of January I start dreaming of palm trees.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM · Report this