and Drunks

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Visit to Mutiny Hall

Posted by on Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Sometime around the end of summer Mutiny Hall popped into the fine space at 12th and 65th in Roosevelt. It had escaped my attention until my new commute took me past it every day and night. Last night I ventured inside. There was some rather innocuous art (birds and branches or something) on the walls and rather innocuous music on the house sound system. I did not recognize any of it until a song from the first Strokes album—which I have absolutely no problem with—came on. The bar/restaurant features multiple flatscreen televisions, which last night were all tuned to a National Basketball Association match starring the Los Angeles Clippers and the Chicago Bulls. Thankfully, we still had the music, and while most of it was a little too safe for sensible tastes, it was preferable to the chatter of sports commentators.

Spirits and ale supplies are plentiful. The server who helped me was friendly and professional, and told me that the proprietor also owns Hudson New American Public House and Collins Pub, and that he lives in the neighborhood. The menu is standard pub fare, somewhat above average, and priced as though it were somewhere around the 85th percentile. The Fish and Chips ($15) were fine, the fish not too greasy, and the tartar sauce was delicious without the unwelcome weight with which the sauce is often presented. The French fries were decidedly average and came housed in a cone constructed from rolled up pages of the Stranger. I had a Boundary Bay India Pale Ale (price not looked at) and a soda water.

When the bill came there was a two dollar charge for the soda water. Dear bartenders and dining/boozing establishments, please do not charge patrons for soda water when they are paying considerable markup for other menu items. Still I tipped 20 percent, but at $28 for a beer and Fish and Chips (after tip), I will not find myself dining at Mutiny Hall very often. Nevertheless, when the light rail station finally materializes, Mutiny Hall will be expertly poised to accept its weary, hungry, thirsty, and executive-class riders. This here owner is prescient.

Cato the Younger Younger 1
I've been in there twice now and haven't had a bad experience yet. Not super duper stuff but good.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on December 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM · Report this
biffp 2
What is the year for light rail? The idea of stopping in before taking the train to a hockey game is exciting. I might actually want to stay in Seattle if that came to pass.
Posted by biffp on December 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM · Report this
Dear The Stanger,

Next time send someone who knows something about beer. No offense, Grant.

Love,

Mr. Happy Sunshine
Posted by Mr. Happy Sunshine on December 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM · Report this
Glad there is another overpriced bar in the area. I shot beer out my nose when I saw the prices for the pub grub. What, no white linen with that 15 dollar burger? I would suggest ordering in a rain city burger for 5 bucks. They deliver to Teddy's which has real neighborhood ambiance. This place feels and costs like an airport bar.
Posted by soggydan on December 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 5
Twenty eight dollars? You're a sucker.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
Agent Michael Scarn 6
As a Rooseveltian, I was psyched when Mutiny Hall opened. After ~5 visits, I'm whelmed. A bit spendy for what you get, and no real personality. Also strange that they have no hours posted online and no website. Due to the lack of other options in the area (Atlantic Crossing and Teddy's excepted), probably a 6.5 out of 10 but 4.5 out of 10 in any other neighborhood.*

*Rating system is subjective and may not meet national standards.
Posted by Agent Michael Scarn http://twitter.com/Jukebox_Hobo on December 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
As a fellow Rooseveltian, I agree with @6. Everything I've had there has been fine/good, but it is spendy for what you get.
Posted by MLM on December 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM · Report this
Latona Pub is the better restaurant with craft beer, but I can't take my kid there, so Mutiny Hall is perfect for nights when we don't have a sitter.
Posted by Nic in Greenlake on December 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM · Report this
Vios Pub blows the doors off Mutiny Hall, but it is a touch crowded. Atlantic Crossing's food is better than what one might expect from the look of the place, as well.
Posted by iviola on December 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM · Report this
I also agree with @6. MH has decent food and a stellar beer list (although I really wish they would take time to let us know the cost of the pours and whether they are 16/12 oz), but it's awfully pricey for what you get. They do have NFL Sunday ticket, though, which is a plus.
Posted by pootley on December 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM · Report this
Too many TVs. Too much sports on TV. Ridiculous food prices. What more can one ask for in a "vibrant neighborhood"?
Posted by jimg on December 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM · Report this