Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Any Seattle Restaurants Celebrating Chanukah?

Posted by on Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Dear Everyone,

Tonight is the fourth night of Chanukah. (mazel tov!) Coincidentally, I am a fan of latkes and brisket. However, I am not a fan of making latkes and brisket—in fact, my attempts have been hailed as a "triumph of futility" by a selection of miscellaneous snots who read Food and Wine magazine.

So: Can anyone point me to a Seattle restaurant that is celebrating Chanukah with a traditional Jewish menu? I would dearly love to stuff my face with some fresh latkes.

Sincerely,

Cienna
Junior Harbinger of Death, graduating class of '12

I second this request.
Posted by ans on December 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
Are they celebrating by occupying a near by Palestinian restaurant?
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on December 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM · Report this
@2 I don't get it...
Posted by maybe i'm slow on December 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM · Report this
pfffter 4
@2 HAHAHAHA
Posted by pfffter on December 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 5
As I'm not seeing helpful comments, all I can recommend is the frozen latkes at Trader Joe's.

Though I'm sure I can only call them excellent because I've never had a fresh one.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on December 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM · Report this
Blue Moon Burgers has really good pseudo-latkes for this month's Special Side. Skip the sour cream-onion dip and just get a few apple sauces. For brisket, try any of the billion bbq joints around town!
Posted by blue moon latkes on December 11, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
pfffter 7
Not that I would ever send anyone to another blog, but ...

You can gorge on latkes until your heart's content Friday @ 7pm.
Posted by pfffter on December 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM · Report this
FirSure 8
Stopsky's!!! Downside: it is on mercer island but it is SO GOOD! http://www.stopskysdelicatessen.com/

I can personally attest to their delicious latkes and matzoh ball soup! Highly recommended!
Posted by FirSure on December 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 9
You could get a Bandit at Honey Hole, but make sure to ask for no cheese.
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on December 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM · Report this
Temple De Hirsch Sinai on the Hill is having their annual latke dinner on Friday at 7:00. I've no idea if this includes brisket, but it is only $5 donation per person.
Posted by Quincent on December 11, 2012 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Head north -- to Fremont! Roxy's might have what you're looking for. I have yet to find a restaurant that outdoes my family recipe for latkes, though.

(And COME ON. Brisket is SO simple, even for the most culinarily-challenged among us. Chop some stuff, wrap in foil with red wine, cook for a while, eat. It is impossible to overcook - it's a fact, like science.)
Posted by bitethemailman on December 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 12
@7, 8, 10, thanks!
Posted by Cienna Madrid on December 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 13
Latkes are easy as fuck to make. Most of the wait time is soaking for half an hour then them then wringing them out. Then just blend in eggs and some flour and fry, prep plus cooking is less than 15 minutes. If is super duper quick if you use a food processor to grate the onion and potato.

Posted by Cascadian Bacon on December 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM · Report this
Saturday at 5:30 at Temple De Hirsch Sinai on the hill is a benefit for Mazon, a Jewish organization that helps provide food security for everyone nationwide. They're asking for a $50 or more donation, but the food is catered and from past experience delicious. No brisket, but lots of salmon and latkes.
Posted by magdaddy on December 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 15
@11 is correct. As are some others.

Btw did you know the US military just resupplied Israel with all the munitions they expended bombing Palestine? Yeah, we're paying for that.

My Atheist Republican Jewish Grandfather would be appalled. Except he's dead, as are all the other relatives of his in the concentration camps.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM · Report this
Chanukah is a Jewish holiday. It is also a holiday in Israel but it's not an Israeli holiday. There is a touch (or more) of racism in linking a Jewish holiday with bad things Israel does. I'm a Jew. I condemn Israel's policies and treatment of Palestinians. I am not responsible for Israel's policies and treatment of Palestinians. No. 2 & 11: STFU.
Posted by Algernon on December 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM · Report this
Goldberg's in Factoria.
Posted by defman23 on December 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM · Report this
Simone 18
I'd love to participate and eat delicious food but unfortunately almost everything is cooked with wheat.
Posted by Simone on December 11, 2012 at 4:08 PM · Report this
Jack's Grill has a side dish of potato pancakes that is pretty much latkes.
Posted by lkbk on December 11, 2012 at 4:14 PM · Report this
brisket's not a particularly Hanukkah-ish food. But yes, all you need to do is buy a slab of meat, put it in a pan with a cup of water, some onions, and some catsup, and cook it in the oven for about 12 hours. It may be tender by then.

Latkes: 4 shredded white potatoes, 1 shredded onion, 3 eggs, 3 Tbs flour (or ground matzah), and a little lemon juice and salt. Moosh together and fry in lots of olive oil; eat with applesauce and sour cream.

If the food at Temple deHirsch is catered by Matzo Mamma, the salmon is really good.

Posted by sarah70 on December 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM · Report this
I looked at that allrecipes recipe and couldn't believe what they were telling the poor goyim to do. That will make some sort of kartoffel plattchen but they won't be latkes. Latkes are grated on the large holes of a square grater known in the family as Old Blood & Potatoes unless it's under five years old, and then it's New Blood & Potatoes: someone's knuckle invariably gets scraped. Of course, you can use the coarse blade in your food processor, in which case it's re-named Old Fuse & Potatoes. For each six potatoes you use one egg. The potatoes are not peeled, nor are they soaked and then wrung out -- you let them sit in the bowl while you assemble the other ingredients; pour off any juice that may have accumulated before you add the other things. And putting flour in them is a sacrilege -- they are not authentic unless you use matzoh meal. Also, that's not nearly enough grated onion, but that's a matter of taste and I'll let the point slide.
Posted by Calpete on December 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM · Report this
Also, since I don't see it specified in any of the on-line recipes, the potatoes must be the mealy type, not the waxy type. Russets are best, scrubbed to a faretheewell. Waxy potatoes won't give you the texture you want in a latke.
Posted by Calpete on December 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM · Report this
Roxy's in Fremont has potato pancakes on the menu year-round, but (when I ate them about 2 years ago) they were too thick and not crispy enough to be a good latke in my book.
Posted by green_fox on December 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM · Report this
Latkes are simple. Use a box grater to grate up 3-4 potatoes and half a medium onion, mash it all into a mesh colander to wring them out, then mix in 4 beaten eggs and 4 tablespoons of flour. Drop them into oil in a heavy skillet and turn after 2 minutes. Then eat them with sour cream. They will have jagged and crunchy edged and soft middles and be wonderful. I live in Midwest BFE and the closest Jewish person is probably an hour away, so my only option is to make them. Around here, folks make "potato pancakes" out of instant mashed potatoes when they try to be inclusive. Ugh.
Posted by charlie on December 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM · Report this
@24 -- Instant mashed potatoes? You poor baby. That's just nasty.
Posted by Calpete on December 11, 2012 at 5:12 PM · Report this
ragold 26
If you add a little baking powder to the potato mix it helps fluff them up.
Posted by ragold on December 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM · Report this
On Saturday night, the first night of Hanukkah, I made latkes from homegrown Jerusalem artichokes. They were delicious. http://whatjuliaate.blogspot.com/2012/11…
Posted by elaineinballard on December 12, 2012 at 12:36 AM · Report this
Tracy 28
I made these latkes on Tuesday. http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and… They were fantastic and the roomies gorged. But the house STILL smells like fried potato a few days later. So, ya know, there are bonuses to having someone else make them, anyways.
Posted by Tracy on December 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM · Report this