Saturday, December 8, 2012

Who's Marrying the First Gay Couple? Judge Mary Yu

Posted by on Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Judge Mary Yu will marry you.
  • Via Seattle Channel
  • JUDGE MARY YU Will marry you.

It's almost too perfect. King County just announced that the county's first same-sex wedding will be officiated by a justice with the perfect name for the job: Judge Mary Yu. Ringing in Washington State's new marriage-equality law, she'll marry Sarah and Emily Cofer tonight at 12:01 a.m.

Formerly a manager for the Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago and appointed to the superior court bench here in 2000, Judge Yu will marry several more couples in the early morning hours, King County reports, including Brendon Taga and Jesse Page. They were the second couple in line Thursday to get their marriage certificate authorized.

Yu, as we reported Wednesday, is among seven judges who volunteered to come into the courthouse Sunday, their day off, after learning that City Hall's Sunday wedding docket was overflowing with couples who wanted to get married. "The court just realized that the community needs our services, and we are happy to provide them," Judge Susan Craighead told me.

Judge Mary Yu is taking the court's first shift, beginning at midnight.

YakHerder 1
Judge Yu is also an outstanding jurist and would be a great pick for WA Supreme Court.
Posted by YakHerder on December 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM · Report this
Tacoma Traveler 2
Judge Mary, I love Yu.
Posted by Tacoma Traveler on December 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM · Report this
douchus 3
..........
..........
..........
..........
..........
I just got that.
Posted by douchus on December 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM · Report this
I'm so in love with our city. Swoon!
Posted by case on December 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM · Report this
I'm pretending that @2 stole my line, because it is brilliant.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on December 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM · Report this
sirkowski 6
I just want to have an Internet fight with her. YU MAD?
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on December 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM · Report this
My birthday is Monday, and I want a bunch of very happily newly married people celebrating their weddings for my birthday. This is beyond cool. Congrats to everyone tying the knot tomorrow.
Posted by SeattleKim on December 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM · Report this
Tacoma Traveler 8

Yu can thank me by sending me wedding invitations.
Posted by Tacoma Traveler on December 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 9
@1 Word.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on December 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM · Report this
word is Mary is weary of Slogs repeated infantile posts mocking her name.

she refers all questions to her cousin, Fuk.
Posted by if you don't get it Dom ask and we'll explain it. on December 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM · Report this
CUZ THAT'S WHAT SHE WAS BORN TUH DO!
Posted by deepconcentration on December 8, 2012 at 8:11 PM · Report this
Judge Yu finalized the adoption process for the Meat Weapon family. We often speak well of her when reviewing the photos from that day, one in which she cradles our then 5-month-old daughter. She became a significant part of our family history when she made us a family, and Meat Weapon Jr. still loves the official "adoption bear" judge Yu gave her that day. I'm so glad she'll get this honor, and grateful she's willing to take the first red-eye shift.
Posted by Meat Weapon on December 8, 2012 at 9:23 PM · Report this
tunanator 13
Wow. This has been a tiring week for Sarah and Emily - they're real troopers!
Posted by tunanator on December 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM · Report this
My husband misheard me when I told him the Judge marrying the first same-sex couples in Washington was named "Marry You" and thought I said "Merry Hue." He grinned and gave me a thumbs up and said it fit so well because of the rainbow. I guess there is a double rainbow in Judge Mary Yu's name!
Posted by heartfelt on December 9, 2012 at 6:50 AM · Report this

is he ever not stoned?
Posted by please tell us you've had him fixed on December 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM · Report this
sperifera 16
I agree with @1, Judge Yu is a wonderful human being in addition to all else that is said about her qualifications. And a FoD.
Posted by sperifera on December 9, 2012 at 10:49 AM · Report this
nice picture.

ha Mary always been a woman?.....
Posted by num-num on December 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM · Report this
@12-Meat Weapon. That is a beautiful story. congrats on the adoption and the creation of your happy family.
Posted by Tor on December 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM · Report this
Hawke 19
@17 dipshit.
Posted by Hawke http://facebook.com/thehawke on December 9, 2012 at 4:29 PM · Report this
19 yeah. that was low. we are ashamed.
Posted by ...we will be seeking redemption for years on December 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM · Report this
Judge Yu's staff -- her bailiff, her clerks, her court reporters, everybody -- also volunteered their time to be there as well, even though they were not legally required for the ceremonies. They just wanted to be there to help. That's true of a number of the other courtrooms as well...
Posted by Mr. Happy Sunshine on December 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM · Report this
Fighty Almighty 22
Judge Yu's staff and the justice herself are some of the warmest, most wonderful folks I've ever encountered. She officiated our marriage at 1:30am on December 9th. We were delirious and nervous but everyone made certain we were comfortable and the event was magical. Thank you, Judge Yu and Takao and everyone else who ensured a memorable moment in our lives!
Posted by Fighty Almighty on December 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM · Report this
@1: Well don't you look smart.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on May 5, 2014 at 6:19 PM · Report this