Wednesday, November 21, 2012

B&O Espresso Finally Closing

Posted by on Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Capitol Hill Seattle blog:

After 36 years, B&O Espresso has finally reached its end on E Olive Way. "He has his money to do his project," manager John Auseth tells CHS about word received last week that the mixed-use development in the works for the last four years that will replace the 1924-built building is finally in motion.

Demolition of the one-story B&O Espresso building has been a long time coming, with plans for a six-story building on the site. I've written about a neighborhood campaign to stop the development over here. But as I reported last year, financing is steadily coming through for exactly these sort of projects: residential buildings on the western slope of Capitol Hill, in corridors well served by transit.

Details are scant BOUNTIFUL at CHS (update: their post says the coffee shop will close on the 9th). But word on the street is that they're going close shop within two weeks, so I called B&O. An employee explained moments ago that they need to "be out by the 31st of December, so the 9th is our last day of business."

reverend dr dj riz 1
damn..damn..damn... DAMN...
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on November 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM · Report this
I like B&O too, but it is perfectly possible to run a nice cafe in a sleek new mixed use development that houses more people and provides more services per block. Opposition to development is the kind of NIMBY "I've got mine" attitude that the Stranger derides in others.
Posted by David Wright on November 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM · Report this
loopback 3
I hope it won't seem too callous of me to say "I've heard B&O say this before about a dozen times that "OUR LAST DAY IS COMING IN A FEW WEEKS" and then ... they're still there. If it's finally true, bummer, but it's not like B&O hasn't had, oh, a shitload of years to figure something out.
Posted by loopback on November 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 4
At last, our long national nightmare is over. Though I expect there will be no true closure until there is reparations, or at least a truth commission.

Such pain. All those ruined lives. And for what? It makes me sick.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on November 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM · Report this
Roma 5

Nice, David, yes. But I doubt a replacement B&O is going to have the same look and feel.

Anyway, it doesn't matter how charming and well-loved a place is. You can't fight money.
Posted by Roma on November 21, 2012 at 5:04 PM · Report this
jseattle 6
So, so scant!

"Turns out, the reprieve lasted almost exactly one year. Auseth tells CHS the last day of business at B&O on E Olive Way is planned for December 9th."

Happy Thanksgiving!
Posted by jseattle http://capitolhillseattle.com on November 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM · Report this
Dominic Holden 7
@6) If that was there before, my apologies. I looked for the date but I missed it! I'll update my post.
Posted by Dominic Holden on November 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 8
Oh well..Capitol Hill has been dead for years. Frankly they should carpet bomb the Broadway Grill and get it over with once and for all.

GENTRIFY OR DIE!!!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM · Report this
fletc3her 9
I thought this played out years ago, or was that a different coffee shop pushed aside by the light rail station. Oh well, there's always the thousand other coffee shops.
Posted by fletc3her on November 21, 2012 at 6:09 PM · Report this
I rented a basement studio in Cap Hill for $250/month - now I'd need $600K for a condo there -yikes!
Posted by pat L on November 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM · Report this
What is the problem here? The city leaders that the Stranger supports, notably McGinn, are all for gentrification. They have cute words for it like "density" and "new urbanism". We all know how hip and ironic is it to act surprised when the multiple city policies the Stranger staff regularly talks up comes to fruition. Just take responsibility and move on, but you have no right to whine about it.
Posted by hmmmmm on November 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM · Report this
jseattle 12
@7 It was there. Just ended up pushed down below all the development blah blah blah. I'll take bountiful. Thanks
Posted by jseattle http://capitolhillseattle.com on November 21, 2012 at 8:09 PM · Report this
Weren't they going to move to Broadway, where dilettante used to be, over a year ago? Dilettante's cakes suck btw. Wish they moved then, since BNO's cakes/pastries are bomb.
Posted by LMNOP on November 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 14
Change happens.

I used to go there a lot, back when it was more of a cafe.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM · Report this