Thursday, November 15, 2012

Tax-Dodgers, Ahoy!

Posted by on Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM

1. ThinkProgress says:

When Karl Rove’s Crossroads Grassroots Policy Strategies (GPS) formed in 2010, it established its official address in Warrenton, VA, and registered with the Internal Revenue Service a tax-exempt 501(c)(4) “social welfare organization.” It apparently did not, however, register as a charitable organization with the Commonwealth of Virginia, as appears was legally required.

Oops. And!

2. Lovable Slog commenter mr. herriman sent this news along.

On the heels of a presidential election in which hundreds of preachers publicly promised to flout Internal Revenue Service rules by endorsing candidates from the pulpit, the Madison-based Freedom From Religion Foundation filed suit against the IRS for failing to enforce electioneering restrictions against churches and religious organizations.

Filed in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin, the lawsuit charges that Douglas Shulman, the commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service, "has violated, continues to violate and will continue to violate in the future, the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States by failing to enforce the electioneering restrictions of 501(c)(3) of the Tax Code against churches and religious organizations."

They've got a goddamned point.

Knat 1
Both of these bits of news make me so happy, especially when I delude myself into believing either will go anywhere.
Posted by Knat on November 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM · Report this
rob! 2
You know, I've heard "Crossroads GPS" a million times but I don't think I ever knew, or saw in print, that "GPS" stood for "Grassroots Policy Strategies." I guess I thought it meant that, in addition to fundraising, they were doing some kind of semi-sophisticated map-based demographic strategizing.

Thanks for the reminder of why the "astroturf" zing was originated.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on November 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM · Report this
pfffter 3
Gosh, I'm really excited about the FFRF/IRS case.

They have had a number of successful lawsuits. This would be an awesome win.

Posted by pfffter on November 15, 2012 at 3:08 PM · Report this
doublegin 4
My mom lives on the same street as the FFRF people! She became a life long member and now refers to herself as a "free thinker" rather than agnostic. They rule!
Posted by doublegin on November 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 5
we'll see what happens - i'm pretty excited about it at the moment :)
Posted by mr. herriman on November 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM · Report this
That's delightful. And I wonder if the IRS was waiting for a lawsuit so that they could avoid the appearance of "persecuting" those horrible churches.
Posted by jt on November 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM · Report this
Issue (1) will probably fade away without the resolution we'd like to see; (2) will be thrown out of court for lack of standing and/or immunity.
Posted by madcap on November 15, 2012 at 7:51 PM · Report this