and Drunks

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

These Voters Were "Sleeping Till Noon"

Posted by on Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Obama voters all sleep till noon, don't pay taxes, don't run businesses, don't pay income taxes, and want a government hand outs—or so said Cal Thomas when he spouted this core part of the modern Republican philosophy. That's all bullshit, and to prove it once again, we bring you...

Kathryn Rathke:

Kathryn_Rathke.jpeg

I get up at 6:30 every morning. I am a freelance illustrator with an agent in London and an agent in Germany. So I have to get up that early and check for jobs from overseas, as we only have a few hours to do business together until they go home. I tend to work 10+ hours/day, and I work obsessively, with few breaks. I haven't received gov't assistance.

As a freelancer working from home, I do sometimes work in my pjs until noon. That may be what Mr. Thomas is thinking of...

Andrew Matthews:

Andrew_Matthews.jpeg

My name is Andrew Matthews. Attached is a photo of myself at home, not working. Today. I work three jobs, starting at 6:30AM and ending sometime between 8 and 10PM at night just about every day. Today was one of those rare days where I was only scheduled to work one of my three jobs. As I was scheduled to work 23 days in a row without a day off from all three of my jobs, I seized this opportunity and got my shift for today covered.

Behind me are the dishes I will be doing. Mind the ugly cabinets, my landlord won't let me sand the paint off.

I slept in until 1PM. Eat it, Cal Thomas.

Teresa Smith:

Teresa_Smith.jpeg

My name is Teresa Smith, and I slept until noon today. Then I woke up and looked at the clock, but the numbers said 06:30…. a.m. Damn! Sleeping until noon was just a dream!

I started working at 14 years old. I’m 31 now. I’ve been working for the past 6 years as a bookkeeper for a small corporation. I haven’t had a pay raise since 2008. live paycheck to paycheck. I took 2 weeks of maternity leave after having each my children. I used my accrued vacation pay to allow for this. I’m up at 6:30 every morning. I feed my baby, make breakfast for my toddler, wait for the babysitter to arrive, then I head to my office. I work 8:30 – 5:30, Monday thru Friday. I even work a Saturday or two each month. Believe it or not, I am a gun owning, pit-bull loving, whiskey drinking, pickup truck driving, tax-paying, medical insurance carrying, self-supporting (never been on welfare!), proud Obama voter.

Katie Tankersley:

Katie_Tankersley.jpeg

I am up at 6:30 every morning, I spend time with my dog, read the news and blogs, and make myself breakfast before heading to my job at 9:15. I work in the HR department of a large software company. I spend my days taking care of my employees and prepare for future employees to join our company (which is steadily growing). I was un-employed for two years before landing this awesome job, I never collected un-employment, I never expected handouts and I voted for Obama…twice.

And Liz Ruiz:

Liz_Ruiz.jpeg

I just recently moved from Seattle up to a tiny bush village (pop. 600) in northeastern Alaska. I am a first-year teacher and moved here with my husband because I got a great job offer at the only K-12 school in town to teach middle school math and science. Here I am behind my desk right after I filled out my mail-in ballot a few weeks ago.

I get up every morning between 5:30 and 6:30am, depending on whether I've decided sleep or exercise is more important that day. I am at school no later than 7:30am, I teach middle schoolers until 3:40pm, then stay another 2-3 hours at least to finish grading, planning and prepping for the next day. I have worked every Sunday but one since the school year started, without technically getting paid. I do this because I love my job and I care deeply about the kids I'm teaching. I feel I have to do everything in my power to help them succeed.

I voted for Obama because I believe he has the intelligence and leadership skills to keep this country moving forward out of the disastrous mismanagement of the Bush years, and because he stands with me on issues that are deeply important to me: Marriage Equality, women's reproductive rights and healthcare.

Wow, more white people! Time for some affirmative action for Sloggers?
Posted by Whitopia on November 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Im out of the cave at 4:30am (to hunt for dinner) . What I hate is when the right claims ''we got almost 50% '' . 57million out of 320million(?) population is not 50%
Posted by neoanderthal on November 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM · Report this
I mean if you didnt vote it means you said you are happy with whoever won so I count you on the presidents side
Posted by neoanderthal on November 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM · Report this
oh heavens to murgatroid, that is by far the most handsome man i have ever seen.
Posted by Rowlf on November 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM · Report this
34x42 5
this is a really, really dumb feature to keep running. i could give a shit what time any of you wake up
Posted by 34x42 on November 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM · Report this
Dominic Holden 6
@4) Seriously.
Posted by Dominic Holden on November 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM · Report this
Jubilation T. Cornball 7
Isn't that Andrew Matthews just darling???
Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball on November 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 8
I bet Andrew Matthews looks terrible with his shirt off.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on November 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM · Report this
rob! 9
When will teachers in this country get the resources, acknowledgment, and financial compensation they deserve?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on November 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM · Report this
no8do 10
@8 Ask Jubilation. He's seen me with my shirt off.
Posted by no8do on November 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM · Report this
Knat 11
@4: I automatically heard the voice of Snagglepuss while reading that. It did not feel out of place.

I just looked over Kathryn Rathke's site, and I am in awe. Kathryn, if you're keeping up with this, I'd like you to know that your pen portraits remind me of Hirschfeld's work, but I like yours even more. I could stare at "Mopey" and your "Average Blokes" section all day.
Posted by Knat on November 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 12
@10 - You think I'm going to take his word for it? I demand proof.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on November 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM · Report this
katrat 13
@11, thank you!!!
Posted by katrat http://www.kathrynrathke.com/ on November 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Eric Arrr 14
I voted for Obama and slept 'til noon this morning.

Sorry for letting everybody down.
Posted by Eric Arrr on November 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM · Report this
@5 I actually really like this feature! I just wish we could wallpaper Cal Thomas's house (and the homes of every other feckless conservative talking head) with these pictures and blurbs. Probably the only folks who read this feature are already in the choir.
Posted by green_fox on November 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM · Report this