Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Slim House

Posted by on Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 8:43 AM

In our dense future, any space is space, any space (above, below, between) will have to do...

Demographic winter approaching:

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on November 14, 2012 at 9:18 AM · Report this
WFM 2
It feels like a brig on a Federation starship. So white makes spaces appear to be larger, fine. But in this case all it does is serve to make the space antiseptic and cold. Warm colors, natural materials and textures would have made it seem cozy instead of confining.
Posted by WFM on November 14, 2012 at 9:40 AM · Report this
Knat 3
Mudede, why are you not railing against this extravagant, sprawling mansion as a product of entitled Western sensibilities about living? This opulent abode boasts a "kitchen," and we all know how superfluous a kitchen is anywhere outside a restaurant.
Posted by Knat on November 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM · Report this
I love this space so much.
Posted by Foonken2 on November 14, 2012 at 10:03 AM · Report this
venomlash 5
Slim House: where Slenderman lives.
Posted by venomlash on November 14, 2012 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Dougsf 6
I'm not sure what sort of time-frame you have in mind as the "future", because the average sq. ft. per person/per home has been growing for the last 1,000 years.

Sure, I can't point to any hard data for the first 900 years of that fact I made up, but I'm still probably correct.

That said, I love me some tiny homes, and I especially love squeezing them into interesting spaces.
Posted by Dougsf on November 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM · Report this
You write of density as though we will be crawling all over one another like cockroaches for lack of space, but this idea doesn't stand up to reality. As countries modernize, their population growth rate declines. Malthus was wrong.

Of course, I am all for increased density as a means to sustainable living, but the world is a pretty big place, and we don't need Hong Kong-level density to achieve sustainability anyway.
Posted by digitalwitch on November 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM · Report this