and Drunks

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Driver Allegedly Follows Man, Runs Him Over in Road Rage Incident

Posted by on Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I think everyone understands the unreasonable, isolating fury that can overtake you when confronted with terrible drivers. I'll admit: When some dude cuts me off while texting on his iPhone, I fantasize about him dying of septic shock on Christmas Eve, before friends and family. Maybe, even, during midnight mass.

But that's as far as it goes for most people—outrageous fantasy—because most reasonable people recognize that cars are for transportation, not weapons or tools for revenge.

And then there are these assholes, courtesy of the SPD Blotter:

A road rage incident during the morning commute left one man with a broken leg and a damaged car. This morning at approximately 6:30 a.m., the victim and suspect were on I-5 southbound traveling to Seattle. According to the victim, the suspect cut him off and [so then] the victim pulled in front of the suspect and applied his brakes.

Both vehicles then got off the freeway at the Mercer Street exit and the suspect followed the victim to an address on Hayes St. When the victim stopped his car, the suspect rammed the victim’s car from behind and pushed the victim and his car about 10 feet forward. The victim got out of his car to confront the suspect and the suspect ran the victim over, breaking the victim’s leg. The victim said there were no words exchanged between them, nor could he see the driver.

The good news is that the suspect's front license plate fell off while he* was allegedly running down his victim, so he will be caught. And ff the details of the case are confirmed as written above, he will be subjected to a good ol' fashioned public shaming, at which point he will probably say he's so very, very sorry for following a complete stranger home, ramming his car, and then running him over. And that he's learned his lesson.

But the subtext of his apology will be, Sorry that I got caught for running you over but I thought you had it coming because fuck your brake lights you fucking pissant.

And he will forever be remembered—on the Internet, at least—as a brutish dick with criminal rage issues and a laughably distorted sense of justice.

*I'm assuming gender, here.

TheMisanthrope 1
Victim was probably doing 50 in the left lane.

/dry
Posted by TheMisanthrope on November 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
Death penalty. Next subject please
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 3
I wonder if incidents like this will be more or less common with increased density in SLU, a $10 each way toll on the SR-99 Deeply Undercapacity Tunnel, and a reduction in capacity due to choosing a Tunnel that carries about half the current Viaduct capacity?

I'm guessing: more.

Ready to cancel the Tunnel?

.. Not that you ever could afford it ..
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
thats darryl (p)issa(nt) to you
Posted by neoanderthal on November 14, 2012 at 2:01 PM · Report this
secretagent 5
Umm, how about the lesson the victim should have learned? Like, don't get so pissed about being cut off that you brake-check the dude, nearly cause an accident, and then the *other* nutcase follows you home and runs you over. He's lucky he didn't get shot. People are crazy, and succumbing to your anger on the road is fucking dangerous. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
Posted by secretagent on November 14, 2012 at 2:03 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 6
"Cut him off" so he some how gets in front of the cut-off-er and puts on the brakes! What the hell is the point of that? We have two classes of people in this event, the easily angered (cut-off-er person) and the common sense challenged (man with broken leg to show for it).
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on November 14, 2012 at 2:03 PM · Report this
34x42 7
sounds to me like justice was served
Posted by 34x42 on November 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 8
@ 5 just beat me to it.

Now, the person doing the running over is a massive fuckhead. The worst person in the world. A likely psychopath. I'm not blaming the victim.

But... the victim was being an asshole. That has to be said. Shit... after he was rammed, he got out to confront the psycho. What does that mean, beat him up? His actions make me wonder if his driving routinely makes people have violent fantasies like Cienna's.
Posted by Matt from Denver on November 14, 2012 at 2:09 PM · Report this
chimsquared 9
@1 yep. and texting. with a bumper sticker that says "share the road."

/seattle is awesome
//seattle drivers are the worst.
///'hey, if 50 on the freeway is safe, than 45 must be even safer, right?"
////"i know using a cell phone while driving is illegal. i support the law. but it's MY CHILD/WIFE/FRIEND i'm talking to right now. MINE."
Posted by chimsquared on November 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
I would make fun of this guy's anger issues, but there's a chance I'll be greeting my academic adviser's family wearing his peeled-off face as a mask if it turns out he's screwed me over as much as I think he has, so who am I to speak?
Posted by DisorganizedReligion on November 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
How come there's never a cop around when this goes down? Maybe because there's no cops to speak of in Seattle? And the few cops we have don't enforce the law?

I mean some guy bludgeons an octopus and everybody gets on the phone and demands that their elected officials do something, but give us a police force that is woefully too small for for a city half this size, and overrun with racists to boot, and the comfortable, privileged white people of this town say "Oh, what a shame" and change the channel.
Posted by Go 'way, 'batin' on November 14, 2012 at 2:20 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 12
If they had remembered their guns, all of this could have been avoided.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 14, 2012 at 2:35 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 13
Also, is this an appropriate time where we can blame the victim for provoking the situation at every turn?
Posted by TheMisanthrope on November 14, 2012 at 2:36 PM · Report this
meanie 14
This is clearly the governments fault, we need car control, cars are too easy for the mentally unstable to get their hands on.

There should be a mandatory waiting period before driving.

Its too bad driving is a privilege and not something you could take away, cause everyone *has* to drive right.
Posted by meanie http://www.spicealley.net on November 14, 2012 at 2:38 PM · Report this
TVDinner 15
The driver might not face any consequences if the broken leg guy didn't get a good look at him. That was a bummer of a lesson I learned in a minor hit and run when I only got a glimpse of the driver because I was focusing so hard on memorizing the license plate.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on November 14, 2012 at 2:38 PM · Report this
MarkyMark 16
I was fantasizing about doing this the other night in Ballard at a stop light, when the car to the left of me in a left-turn-only lane suddenly took off straight through the intersection, nearly ramming me in the process.

The problem is that people who would do stuff like this in the first place are far too stupid to learn that their dangerous actions can have serious consequences; it wouldn't surprise me at all if the poor dumb "victim" here turns right around and does something equally stupid again in the future.
Posted by MarkyMark on November 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM · Report this
I may have seen the start of this today. I was couple of cars behind on the on ramp. There was no big deal just traffic merging and one guy freaked out and started trying to pass the car in front of him on the on ramp. It was weird, the guy was very pissed off.
Posted by guest guester on November 14, 2012 at 3:12 PM · Report this
I agree: They both sound like a-holes. Road rage is for babies.
Posted by mitten on November 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
@7 -- If justice were done, they would both have pitched off an overpass somewhere and stuck the landing without injuring anyone below.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on November 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM · Report this
seandr 20
This story features two assholes.

The "victim" started (or at least escalated) the conflict with an aggressive and dangerous move - pulling in front of the suspect and suddenly braking.

Broken leg ought to keep him off the road for a while, and jail time should do the same with the other.
Posted by seandr on November 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM · Report this
Knat 21
If the victim had instead donned a cape and cowl and took justice into his own hands through detective work and amazing gadgets - possibly with some swooping involved - I would be cheering him. Instead, I think he's a dick and possibly caused the problem in the first place.
Posted by Knat on November 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM · Report this
That's real bright. Turning what should have been an instant of minor annoyance into vehicular assault. Can anyone say "poor impulse control?"
Posted by Orv on November 14, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
@10-NSCC by any chance? Cause the peer advisors there screwed me over bigtime.
Posted by Alkaloid on November 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM · Report this
I realized back in 1973 that a car is not a necessity, too dangerous in the wrong hands, and too expensive. So I gave up my car that year.
So I see life differently...obviously. I would say that both guys should have their licenses revoked permanently. No second chances. The same goes for DUIs. Remove those licenses forever.
Now back to me...will I ever drive again? No, because I haven't learned to text-message which I understand is necessary to keep your eyes off the road while driving.
Posted by Juan Alfredo on November 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM · Report this
watchout5 25
I approve of victim blaming in this thread.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on November 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM · Report this