and Drunks

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

What Cool People Like Me Were Watching On YouTube This Morning

Posted by on Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Via JMG:

A couple of months ago I noted that the latest movie version of Les Miserables was filmed with the actors singing live on the set rather than lip-syncing to a prerecorded soundtrack. Today JMG reader Paul sends us this compilation of older movies that also featured live singing.

Sargon Bighorn 1
That is some of the Gayest 22 minutes in history all collected into one Gay slab.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on November 13, 2012 at 9:14 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 2
I only came here to say what @1 said.

Also, that way extraordinarily gay.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on November 13, 2012 at 9:38 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 3
Now I feel really old. I remember when all those people were alive.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 13, 2012 at 9:49 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 4
I feel more gay now
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM · Report this
Badger 5
Altman in particular uses lots of live singing in his films - I'm surprised there wasn't a clip from Popeye which was also sung live.
Posted by Badger on November 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM · Report this
Dude, Danny Kaye and Julie Andrews completely win.
Posted by alguna_rubia on November 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM · Report this
I call BS on the Prince and the Showgirl. No way that operatic soprano was Marilyn.
Posted by beckysharp52 on November 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM · Report this
Also... Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted by Hazies on November 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM · Report this
Bub 9
Whoa, the Al Jolson blackface at 5:22 was a jolt. A warning would have been nice.
Posted by Bub on November 13, 2012 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Bub 10
But Michael Jeter's "Rose's Turn" in The Fisher King was the highlight in the collection.
Posted by Bub on November 13, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
knobtheunicorn 11
Nope, Martha Raye and Bob Hope at 5:01 won that shit. Cracked my crap up.
But all of them remind me how woefully untalented and lame everyone is nowadays.
Posted by knobtheunicorn on November 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Rex Harrison is just talking, not singing
Posted by EricaP on November 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM · Report this
@9
Same reaction here-which lead to some interesting and uplifting reading about Al Jolson on (where else) wikipedia. You'll feel better about it after reading it, I think.
Posted by Big Harv on November 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 14
@5: Perhaps no one wants to remember Popeye.
Posted by Bauhaus I on November 14, 2012 at 5:40 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 15
BTW: Robert Preston was the very definition of professional.

Lovely to see all these people again.
Posted by Bauhaus I on November 14, 2012 at 5:55 AM · Report this
Thanks for all the kind words on my compilation - it was a lot of work! There's good source material stating that that was Marilyn singing in "The Prince and the Showgirl" - and Rex does sing a number of lines. As to the blackface, I had to include Jolson (who sang live all the time) but all the live clips were blackface! Didn't know about Popeye - I'll check it out. I'm also sad that I missed Betty Hutton doing "Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing in a Hurry"!
Posted by Mark Lost Vocals on November 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM · Report this