Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Here's What "Sleeping Till Noon" Looks Like for Kate Koivisto, Charles Rolling, Cate Burlington, Isabella Organ, and Randi Anderson-Smith

Posted by on Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

The GOP says Obama voters are welfare-abusing layabouts who "sleep till noon." This wasn't just one recent statement. This isn't just one imbecilic belief. This is a key component of the modern GOP's core political philosophy—liberals are government parasites who vote for politicians that will steal from workers and redistribute to the lazy—and it deserves to be earnestly mocked.

So here are more of you lovely Obama voters "sleeping till noon":

Kate Koivisto:

Kate_Koivisto.jpeg

I was up at 6:30 a.m. this morning to get to my job at a mid-size nonprofit in Denver, CO by 7:30 a.m. I run a program that helps disenfranchised individuals train and get jobs in the healthcare sector. I’ll be at work today until 8 p.m. because I’m also running a Professional Development Night so my participants can have as many skills as possible when they enter the workforce. I voted for Obama. Obviously.

Cate Burlington:

Cate_Burlington.jpeg

This is me at work before nine a.m. at my tech support job in Brooklyn. I spend forty hours a week at my day job and also work on evenings and weekends as a volunteer coordinator for a group that teaches free computer classes in low-income neighborhoods. I donate 5% of my income to charity and am lucky to make enough money that I pay federal income tax. Voted, donated, and canvassed for Obama.

Isabella Organ:

Isabella_Organ.jpeg

My name is Isabella and my husband and I both support voted for Obama. This is a picture of me in my home office on my "day off". I only have today "off" because I give up time with my family to work on weekends. Even though I am at home today, I am still working, taking phone calls, emails, texts, scheduling appointments, creating advertisements, paying bills, etc., for my small business. I am self employed and I do not get paid for this. Even on my "day off", I was up at 6:15 this morning to make sure my child got to school on time. I have been working since I was 15, full time (or more) since I was 16. I have often worked 10-12 hours days, 6 & 7 day weeks, and gone weeks at a time with no days off. I have never received overtime pay for doing so, either because I was self-employed or working multiple jobs. Sometimes, I have to keep working through dinner, even though my family is at home waiting for me. I have never collected unemployment, welfare or food stamps.

My husband rises at 4, and leaves for work at 5. When he gets home from work at around 3, he begins working on our fixer-upper home (which was all that we could afford) and usually doesn't stop working on it until about 10. That is, IF he doesn't have to work overtime. He often works ten hour days, sometimes 6 days a week. There have been times when he worked 17 hours on a Saturday. Not only do we support Obama and pay our fair share in taxes, but we are proud and happy to do so, and both agree that we would be more than happy to pay higher taxes if we were ever able to make that much money!

Charles Rolling:

Charles_Rolling.jpeg

Noon? I'm usually 5-6 hours into my day by then. I work now as a network technician after having been laid off from management in 2008. I challenge any tough guy conservative to come keep up with my day. Either here on the job or out on the ranch, I've worked more than one Republican to a cute little nubbin. So Mr. Thomas, bring that weak shit to Texas where we are not all crazy and where I'll best you both at work or out behind the woodshed.

Randi Anderson-Smith:

Randi_Anderson-Smith.jpeg

Every morning I wake up at 8am (except on Wednesdays, that's my 6am day) and take the 2 hour one-way commute to work via my car, rail train, and bus. I work as an 'independent contractor'—more specifically as an office manager for a local psychotherapist. My day is spent making sure all her patients are taken care of financially. I receive no benefits. We lost food stamps when my husband received a 25 cent raise, and have to pay taxes at the end of the year. My husband does get to sleep until noon, but as a late-shift warehouse lead he doesn't get to leave work until midnight or later depending on the day. Sleeping until noon is a luxury my husband and I don't have, even on our off days since those are the only day we have to get anything done.

I think Mr. Rolling needs his own column at the Stranger.
Posted by longball on November 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM · Report this
long-time reader 2
Aren't you belaboring the point?

TL;DR
Posted by long-time reader on November 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM · Report this
@1 that'd be amazing.
Posted by CbytheSea on November 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM · Report this
emor 4
I'm starting to feel like I'm the only person who voted for Obama that doesn't work from 6am to 7pm while volunteering from 8pm to 11pm 7 days a week.

I mean, I do work a lot, but jeez, people. You really put it all out there.
Posted by emor on November 13, 2012 at 12:17 PM · Report this
@4: Me too. I mean, I only have one job, and while I do have to roll in before noon, I'm not up at 5 am either.

But my lazy butt still pays federal income taxes, and I'd be happy (slight exaggeration) to pay more taxes, because I benefit from living in a functioning society that cares for its members.
Posted by MLM on November 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM · Report this
I guess this is what happens when The Stranger runs out of real things to complain about.
Posted by Chali2Na on November 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM · Report this
I can't quite read the tone of these posts. Are these people proud to work so much? Happy to do it? Sorry to have to? Complaining about it? Resigned to it?
Posted by andie on November 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
@2 and 6- I think this is a long time in coming, so it is totally fair to run with it for a while. For the past 20 years I have listened to conservatives make the 'lazy, urban, welfare taker' argument. So fuck them- we got 19 years and 363 days to go before we are even.

I have listened to this shit my whole life. When I started working full time at 14 , when I took a night shift job cutting steel in a tractor factory to pay for college, when I was working 100+ hours at 3 jobs to try to get far enough ahead to purchase a house..."at least you're not one of those liberal faggots expecting taxpayers to hand you shit." I am finished being nice about it.
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on November 13, 2012 at 1:20 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 9
So this is what all this kerfuffle has me thinking about:

Better Off Without A Wife by Tom Waits

All my friends are married
Every Tom and Dick and Harry
You must be strong if you're to go it alone
Here's to the bachelors and the Bowery bums
Those who feel that they're the ones
That are better off without a wife

Cause I like to sleep until the crack of noon
Midnight howling at the moon
Going out when I want to,
And I'm coming home when I please
Don't have to ask permission
If I wanna go out fishing
Never have to ask for the keys

I've never been no Valentino
But I had a girl who lived in Reno
Left me for a trumpet player
Well, it didn't get me down
He was wanted for assault
And though he said it weren't his fault
You know the coppers rode him right out of town

I'll be sleeping until the crack of noon
Midnight howling at the moon
And I'll be going out when I want to
Coming home when I please
Don't have to ask permission
If I wanna go out fishing
Never have to ask for the keys

Yeah, you see I'm kinda selfish about my privacy
Now as long as I can be with me
We get along so well I can't even believe it
I love to chew the fat with folks
I'll be listening to all your dirty jokes
I'm so thankful for these friends I do receive

I'll be sleeping until the crack of noon
Midnight howling at the moon
And I'll be going out when I want to
Coming home when I please
Don't have to ask permission
If I wanna go out fishing
Never have to ask for the keys, no

Hey, I got this girl I know, man, and I just
She's been married several times and
I don't wanna end up like her
I mean, she's been married so many times
She's got rice-marks all over her face
Yeah, you know the kind
More...
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on November 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 10
This is just as interesting as the previous five were.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on November 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM · Report this